Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everybody this past week my motor will run rough at an idle and when I take off from a stop it will spit and sputter like an old carburetor. If I rev it up to 3000 it will clear out changed the fuel filter and put Lucas in it. And I get fuel from a Citgo truck stop and so do all my friends and they don't have this problem. And I have 70000 on it.:confused:

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Im assuming this is a lly right? Any CEL's, Can the hypertech read codes?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it's an lly no CEL's and the hypertec can't read codes. I changed the fuel filter a second time and it shuttered twice and seems to be okay but it did this about a week before and quit then also. I hope it was just water. There was some in the old filter but not a lot. And is there an special way to get the filer out without removing the inner fender well. Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
is there an special way to get the filer out without removing the inner fender well. Thanks.
through the top: easy way to do it is find a flexible filter wrench that will fit around the filter, loosen filter after disconecting water sensor, slowly lower filter on to frame from top of engine, carfully pull filter out from inner fenderwell, exchange water sensor with new filter, install new o rings making sure that both old orings came off filter base, coat new filter rings in wd-40 carfully slide filter through inner fenderwell rest on frame reach down through the top of engine and install filter don't get frustrated installing the filter they can be a pain especially if your filter base is old, tighten down by hand then about an eigth turn with filter wrench or until filter stops leaking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it ran fine for about 100 miles. Now it shutters and clears out constantly at an idle. While driving its fine until I stop and it acts like its going to shut down. I guess i'll take it to the dealer. This sucks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Duramax finally took a dump it went to running bad enough that I gave up and took it in to the dealer. They had it all day and called about 4:30 to tell me it's injectors and its covered under the GM Duramax 5 year 100,000 warranty. But it will be Friday before than can get them. And Monday before than can complete the job. And they already started on it so I have nothing to drive. I called GM about the injectors and they said there is a problem with the stock of certain parts for the Duramax. If you experience the same problem make them order the injectors first. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Thats odd, not many llys have injectors go bad that i have heard of anyhow!!

Good luck, and thank goodness its still on GM's bill!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Questions?

Did your motor make a clanging noise at about 1800 rpm. At 50 mph it sputters and makes noises. I runs like an old car with spark plug wires off. I am new to diesels. i have an 04 lly with 35k on it. I changed the oil and fuel filter, but it seems to do the same thing. I have run injector cleaner and additive and neither seem to help. The filter also didn't have any water in it. I have tried fuel from 4 different stations and no luck. Can anyone help?

Also how does that 5 year warranty work. The dealers told me that only the lower end of the motor was covered after 3 years or 36k. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did your motor make a clanging noise at about 1800 rpm. At 50 mph it sputters and makes noises. I runs like an old car with spark plug wires off. I am new to diesels. i have an 04 lly with 35k on it. I changed the oil and fuel filter, but it seems to do the same thing. I have run injector cleaner and additive and neither seem to help. The filter also didn't have any water in it. I have tried fuel from 4 different stations and no luck. Can anyone help?

Also how does that 5 year warranty work. The dealers told me that only the lower end of the motor was covered after 3 years or 36k. Any help is appreciated.
Yes it ran like crap. Do you have a programmer? If so put your truck back to it's stock setting. Give it about a day and see what happens. Because after replacing all 8 injectors mine still ran like crap it was my programmer. It would run fine on level 1 but if I put it on 2 or 3 it was done. Or it could be your injector harness grounding out check for any cuts or bare wires. And as for the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty you have a $100.00 dollar deductible and it covers the complete motor. But nothing that bolts to it. And the dealer will try to weasel out of it. I had to call GM and they took care of it. Because if the dealer can get out of paying for it they will. Good luck...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts