Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought this truck last week and I need it to last me a while. It has some pretty significant rust on the roof of the cab and I was wondering if anyone has any experience repairing something like this? The truck has 220k miles so I don't want to pay for a full paint job, I was hoping maybe I could patch it up myself if possible.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
id wire wheel it down to bare metal, fill the pitting with glazing compound, sand it smooth to the touch, then hit it with some automotive primer, then paint in rattle can form. Should give you a 10 foot or less finish and really thats all you need on a roof. Depending on how bad that rust is though, you may find yourself having to weld in new metal, hopefully its not too deep. Make sure to remove paint for several inches around the visible rust to make sure you dont leave any under the paint to bubble up later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info man, im a bit nervous about trying to do this, but i'm sure it would be pricey to have it done by a body shop. I think my first step will be sanding it all down and seeing how bad it is. Since I am in Phoenix and don't see a lot of moisture, I am hoping a rattle can job will hold me over for a few years.

id wire wheel it down to bare metal, fill the pitting with glazing compound, sand it smooth to the touch, then hit it with some automotive primer, then paint in rattle can form. Should give you a 10 foot or less finish and really thats all you need on a roof. Depending on how bad that rust is though, you may find yourself having to weld in new metal, hopefully its not too deep. Make sure to remove paint for several inches around the visible rust to make sure you dont leave any under the paint to bubble up later.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Thanks for the info man, im a bit nervous about trying to do this, but i'm sure it would be pricey to have it done by a body shop. I think my first step will be sanding it all down and seeing how bad it is. Since I am in Phoenix and don't see a lot of moisture, I am hoping a rattle can job will hold me over for a few years.
glazing compound is just a thin 1 part body filler that you apply with a plastic scraper to fill the small voids left by the rust pitting after sanding. This will go a long way to make the paint look better and i would not skip it. Its really not a very complicated process. strip to bare metal, clean with solvent (i like acetone or denatured alcohol) then apply, let dry, and sand smooth. Then rattle can some etching primer, rattle can some white, rattle can some clear, walk away and get a beer. Its basically what your already planning to do with 1 extra step in the middle. Failure to use the glazing compound or something similar to fill the rust pitting will make the roof look bumpy like the texture of a cast iron pan.

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
I was going to recommend the same procedure only with Spot Putty. It turns out it is the same as Glazing Compound.

Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, 00907ES, 4.5 oz, 1 Tube

Should be at any auto parts house

1 - 5 of 5 Posts