Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone-- I moved back to the great Northeast after six years in the Southeast and after two winters up here am getting serious about rust protection/prevention for under my truck. I've seen everything from people applying rhino liner and the like as well as other spray on layers. Just curious as to what you guys have found works best (there is some surface rust under my truck so it's not exactly a clean application) and what shops you recommend to do a good job. Unfortunately work is pretty volatile and so I don't think I'll be able to tackle this one myself given time restrictions. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
231 Posts
U can buy diy kits from New Hampshire oil under coat I have done this to my truck and the wife’s Jeep works well look them up on line

·
Registered
604 Posts
Wool wax for the win

·
Registered
7 Posts
First thing i do to any new truck i buy is coat the whole under carriage body panels including the inner fenders and bed rails with rustoleum truck bed coating. only thing that will kill these chevys is rust.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Are there places that specialize in these applications (I would assume there are) or are most of you guys just using body shops to do the work? Whats the average cost for a full job that yall are seeing

·
Registered
231 Posts
In my area I would say 200 to 350 maybe 4 on the high side. southern Vermont

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buy a good respirator from 3m with a organic vapor filter and 5 cans of Rustoleum truck bed coating. Much cheaper and you have the pride/story to show people you did it yourself. Side note wear work clothes your not concerned about to much lol.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Buy a good respirator from 3m with a organic vapor filter and 5 cans of Rustoleum truck bed coating. Much cheaper and you have the pride/story to show people you did it yourself. Side note wear work clothes your not concerned about to much lol.
Ive done this before with POR15 and Eastwood coating. Would really like to see it done officially and the right way, considering the investment here on this rig. Oh if you ever use POR15, it will stay on your skin for about three weeks and thats not an exaggeration

Reactions: BabyD21

·
Registered
231 Posts
U can diy I use New Hampshire oil under coat buy a 5 gallon can and the low pressure sprayer for about 250 and do the truck probably three maybe four time depending on how u put it on I do this annually to the wife’s Jeep unlimited and the d max

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Did you google for auto undercoating in your area? I would thin that there are quite a few of them. Krown would probably be my first choice if they were reasonable close. South Main Auto You tube channel did a couple of videos about the process last year and I was impressed with how they applied their product. It went EVERYWHERE, and that's what you need.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Glad to hear the "thumbs up" for Krown. I just had them do my truck, but that was in St. Louis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.