Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's a Quigley 4x4 with duramax and 4l80 worth these days? Lost my transmission cooler lines on the Mass Pike this morning taking the truck in for service. Mechanic called and said I got bigger problems. Spring hangers on rear springs are SHOT. Less than 100k miles on the whole thing and it's potentially destined for the boneyard.

What to do? Anyone ever replaced these? This thing has turned into a pile of rust underneath. Very unhappy with GM. 12 year old truck that has been well taken care of. In the last year the corrosion has skyrocketed.

This has been well documented online and we've noticed this accelerated rust issue since was new.

I'll try to post some pics up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Change the brake lines, hangers and some other rusty parts and keep going - that's the best value. In my experience many of the metal pieces are made of good metal, and others like hangers and body braces are made of crap... once you get through those you should be ok for a while.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who sells replacement spring hangers? I talked to Dorman directly today and they said they don’t make them for this truck.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Did you check with GM for replacement parts ?

My 2006 van has over 400,000 miles with zero rust issues. Sounds like you have a climate issue and need to take extra precautions to fight the rust.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gmpartsdirect doesn’t show any parts for spring hangers they are considered part of the frame.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Sounds like you are in for a trip to a wrecking yard.............and INSURE they come from someplace where there is NO salt put on the roads.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two years later and it still sits in the driveway. I have searched high and low to find someone who would repair this. Nuthin.

Duramax, 4L85, solid axle Dana 60 front end and a Dana 70 rear (I may be off a number on this),Van is loaded. 3kw power inverter, custom stainless roof racks, I cringe giving this to a boneyard for a grand or so they'd probably give to me. The engine alone on ebay is $4-5k.

Am I wrong to think this is still worth money? I really can't sell it due to lemon laws, so it would have to be sold as undrive-able.

I am still insuring this figuring maybe lightning would strike and a tree would crush it LOL

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, the premature frame rusting issue is well documented on google. It's got less to do with road condx and more to do with what GM coats the frames with...what they don't tell you is the coating needs to be redone as part of regular service. It's wax based. They got sued for this and won, this also was well documented by some on Edmunds website. They won't cover it because it rotted outside of their "rust through" warranty. This is where they get you. I complained from the get go that the frame was rusting very quickly to the dealer. They had the local GM rep look at it and he said can't do anything unless there's a rot hole through...

·
Registered
759 Posts
My van is 14 years old and will hit 500,000 miles this year. I have zero rust issues. If you people would stop wasting good salt on your roads you would not have these problems.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
So what's a Quigley 4x4 with duramax and 4l80 worth these days? Lost my transmission cooler lines on the Mass Pike this morning taking the truck in for service. Mechanic called and said I got bigger problems. Spring hangers on rear springs are SHOT. Less than 100k miles on the whole thing and it's potentially destined for the boneyard.

What to do? Anyone ever replaced these? This thing has turned into a pile of rust underneath. Very unhappy with GM. 12 year old truck that has been well taken care of. In the last year the corrosion has skyrocketed.

This has been well documented online and we've noticed this accelerated rust issue since was new.

I'll try to post some pics up.
I’m in MA as well, my 06 had the sane rust issues. The body turned to shit, the frame had rusted through where it’s sectioned in the front after the motor. I pulled the motor, trans and wiring and junked it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Two years later and it still sits in the driveway. I have searched high and low to find someone who would repair this. Nuthin.

Duramax, 4L85, solid axle Dana 60 front end and a Dana 70 rear (I may be off a number on this),Van is loaded. 3kw power inverter, custom stainless roof racks, I cringe giving this to a boneyard for a grand or so they'd probably give to me. The engine alone on ebay is $4-5k.

Am I wrong to think this is still worth money? I really can't sell it due to lemon laws, so it would have to be sold as undrive-able.

I am still insuring this figuring maybe lightning would strike and a tree would crush it LOL
Not sure if they will be same, but I’ll have the rear spring hangers from a 07 cutaway that won’t need after this weekend. If you get me picture and rough measurements, I’ll compare them.

·
Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P (on order). 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
19 Posts
Oil spray works wonders. My 09 cutaway has 600,000 miles on it and spends it's life in the Midwest, North East and Ontario. Gets sprayed witha product called Krown but any oil spray product works well. I drive all my trucks straight from the dealer when new to the spray place....and then they get done yearly. I still have an 06 pickup running around daily, no rust after 16 years.

Reactions: TheAlmightyOgreLord

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't ever let rust go... Take it to a body shop and have them spray the underside with line-x. It cuts off the oxygen to the bacteria that generates rust and deflects rocks and debris like a thick coating of rubber. It was the best decision I made on my low mileage rig from Alaska. Never let rust go on a good rig. It can always be saved unless it already has holes rusting through. Mine just had surface rust. Idiot mechanics and tire shops would tell me it was hopeless without even looking at the mileage (90,000mi at the time). Line-x will only cost ~$450 for a full underside job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts