Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search for any info on the S&B cold air intake kits but found nothing...

What do you think of them...

They are the least expensive on the web from what I can see...

Dare I say cheap??? I dont know...Hate to buy junk if another 80 bucks would buy much better...

I gotta say I think the whole air intake kit market has got to be one of the biggest rip offs in the diesel performace industry...there is no way that there is 300 dollars in those kits....but you gotta have one...anyways thats my rant for the day... thanks for listening:rolleyes:

So what say you...bout S&B

Oh ya, I have an 06 LBZ to be exact...4'' turbo back MBRP goin on it, no other major mods in store...other than a tuner next...

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
According to all the test I have seen s&b ranks number 1 among aftermarket intakes.

·
Registered
674 Posts
There is a ton of info on here about them. To make a long story short it seems the lbz and up OEM or intakes are the best way to go sub 500hp. Put the money towards efilive where u will actually see the diff.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So hold off on intake unless I'm building a race truck??

Drop in filter make any difference??

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
So hold off on intake unless I'm building a race truck??

Drop in filter make any difference??
Not sure on the previous years but the stock intake on a lml is supposed to be really good but we are fixing to put a s&b on just for the fact its a little better and a heck of a lot easier to change and clean the air box.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have the s&b it works well for me. No air intake is gonna give you a huge gain over stock unless you're over 500 hp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
My S & B has been on since October of '07 - just cleaned it today.
But, as noted above, spend your money elsewhere first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My S & B has been on since October of '07 - just cleaned it today.
But, as noted above, spend your money elsewhere first.
Really....I learn alot here!

Since I've had this truck I've been getting hammered on "Air in & Exhaust out"

so, really I should go with the exhaust mod first... getting that Monday,
BTW Parley's Performance in St. George Utah is a friendly helpfull mail order Co.

Then spend $$ on the tuning aspects of my LBZ

Maybe a stock replacement K&N air filter for the OEM box for now then...

Thanks

I'm not sure if I'm using the search feature right here either, I couldn't find any mention of S&B

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I personally would pic a replacement filter other than K&N, I would use a dry filter. But the power core style intakes that come stock in the newer models are great intakes. The EFI can do more for your truck than an intake. I agree with opening up the exhaust, especially with a down pipe included. For tuning, I highly recommend checking out tuning by Kory Willis. There are a couple of supporting vendors here that offer his tuning, but for all your upgrade needs, I would check out the forum vendors first before ordering from a shop or someone who isn't a vendor. The vendors here have a vested interest in providing great deals for the members and most of them have great customer service as well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i would not buy a S&B intake for a LBZ again. mine had a cheap mount that ripped out after the first time i had to remove it, and the intake kept falling out of the boot they sent with it,
iv had two on LB7 trucks that were fine but the LBZ one was not a good design.
save you $$ and get exhaust and a lift pump and tuning,
three best things for any truck.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
lowest cost. best looking (IMO), and one of the best performing. its a win win for an intake.

But as mentioned above.. you really dont need an intake untill you are pushing in the 500hp range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks for the input, S&B sounds like a good product but wasn't sure...

I'll be taking your advise... Air intake is off the radar for now...I'll have my MBRP system on Monday and am researching tuners now...

Thats a whole different story huh!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just installed an S&B intake with a non oiled filter today on my truck, impressive the way the truck runs now. I am getting better MPG on the freeway and I have the go power that I knew was there, it was just was choking it self on the old filter. My stock air filter had 12,000 on it and was full of smoke from the forest fires last year, guess it was time to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Idamainer, I have a stock 2011 Dmax. How much better mpg are you getting with the air intake?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just installed last thursday...kind early to tell but I think right now around 1 mpg but I have only driven 100 miles since the install. As mentioned earlier my throttle response is improved and it feels like it does not starve for air anymore. I am thinking about getting the cold air scoop that goes with it to see if it does even better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just trying to figure out if the $289 is worth it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I wouldnt get an intake unless your pushing 500hp+, or unless you can find one new or used for a killer price, I found one local new in box for $150, but debating if I want to buy one or not cause I can buy alot of diesel for that price

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
u could always mod ur stock airbox and make ur own heat shield if u really want something to do it would be 1/4 of the cost and if u do it right probably a decent upgrade

1 - 19 of 19 Posts