Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to throw this out there because I couldn't find anybody prior that had done this CP3 conversion already, but I bought the S&S diesel 50 state legal (emissions intact/no tuning required) CP3 conversion for my 2013 LML. I've got about 88,000 miles on my truck and my CP4 was still working fine, I just wanted the extra reliability of a CP3. I have not put a ton of miles on the truck (about 1K since install) but so far I've had no issues at all and it was completely plug and play. I did have a shop do the install, Interstate Diesel Performance here in Utah, great place to go with very fair labor rates and quality work. All said and done I was about $3,500 out the door and most of that is the $2,500 conversion kit w/pump and yes that is a good chunk of change but its only about a third of what it can cost if your CP4 goes. I hope this helps anybody who has been on the fence about this particular conversion kit and pump.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Interesting. I looked into that kit and communicated with S&S via email and by phone asking what they meant by "no tuning". They really couldn't explain it and said all of their pumps required tuning. I got frustrated and gave up on them. So, is this kit only for trucks with emissions and no prior tuning?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hmm, that rep at S&S must've been out of the loop. It's for a stock truck with stock emissions intact and no tuning required additional.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Oh yeah, this woman was not the brightest. I asked her a question with two possible answers, do I want A or B for my truck as described? Her response was, "yes, that will work for you" without saying which one.

They also show this option: "LML CP3 conversion kit w/pump – Offroad Use Only – No DPF – No Tuning Required" This sounds like it will work for a deleted and tuned truck without any additional tuning, but she couldn't confirm that, either.

It's a moot point now for me as my truck is getting a Exergy Sportsman CP3 pump installed next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, sounds like you got the new guy/gal who doesn't know what they are doing yet. I see that you already have a conversion in the works, but to clarify for anybody else, my truck has all of the emissions components intact. This kit has a modified CP3 that has a supply line for the 9th injector. It was 100% drop in, hook up and go on the stock tune. The beauty of this kit is that according to S&S it can be "tuned or modified if desired" I plan on doing a DPF delete but the idea here was being able to switch back if need be since I am subject to yearly emissions inspections.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that Industrial Injection came out with a kit that was supposed to be the emissions intact/no tuning required type of kit, I found it on a website once but it said “discontinued product” not sure if it was because their kit had issues or they just didn’t sell enough to make it worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m gonna go ahead and take a guess here but there’s about a 1% chance that you can get rails, injectors and a pump for $1700. Most of the kits I’ve seen that include all that are about $6,000. And the non emissions legal CP3 conversion kits are $1,700-$1,800, so id say you found a typo or were mis-informed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The GM pump kit does exist . I'll see if I can find the GM part number. Includes all the hard parts for a CP4 disaster replacement.

The CP3 conversion may net you some increased performance especially if you go a Sportsman or higher.

Odd thing is the new '20 Cummins is using a CP4 so I'm wondering there's been some new design changes?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The GM part number for the pump kit is 12672028. It claims to come with new rails, injectors and a CP4 for ~$1700

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well after a quick google search I stand corrected. Sure enough $1700, which seems like a great deal for oem parts. I guess the only thing to consider would be the labor costs with replacing the entire fuel system including injectors and a tank flush if your CP4 goes. Obviously if you do it yourself you’d save that money but I’m thinking if you paid a shop to do all that you’d be in the same $3500 range with the labor that I spent on the S&S CP3 kit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed .. Anyone with any knowledge of the CP4 issues would certainly never knowingly put another CP4 back in.

With an obvious exception if it was under Warranty and 100% paid for by GM...

Even if they were splitting costs (which they have done frequently with trucks borderline on the Warranty) with me I would still opt for the CP3 instead... You'll still come out ahead in the long run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Zach, how is this CP3 conversion holding up? Did you ever get around to deleting it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zach, how is this CP3 conversion holding up? Did you ever get around to deleting it?
Alec, although this truck is not my daily driver, I've had no issues thus far. I've got about 4,500 miles on it since the conversion now, Mostly road trips and highway driving. 400 miles of that was towing a CAT 289 skidsteer and I had no problems. I have not yet deleted the truck and now I am only a couple months away from needing to re-register, so, I may just wait until after I do my emissions inspection for this year. While it is a decent chunk of money for the conversion, I will say that not having that constant fear of a CP4 failure has been very nice.

·
Registered
293 Posts

A whole CP4 kit with every piece is now about $3k.

I think I'm going to run that FPR with the dual screens and see what happens.

If the CP4 craps out, the most I will have to spend in $3k. Much less if the screen does its job, and saves the injectors.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm still not convinced that the upgraded screen at 20 micron is sufficient to catch all the debris.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts