Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running the BullyDog power pup. I have been running the Tow/Economy setting pretty much since I bought it. They recommend gauges for the next setting and require them for the highest.

My question is: I am running out to Colorado this weekend, and would like to save a little on fuel. I was hoping to move to setting 3 (setting 1 = stock, setting 2 = tow/econ). If we keep it at a reasonable speed, around 70, or around 2000rpms, am I running the risk of hurting anything. It is about a 18-20 hour run from here.:help

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think you will get better fuel economy with the tow mode setting thats what i run my on and seem to get the best fuel economy. if you pull some steep hills and you have to slow down then get back in it on performance mode your egt's will go up hope this helps maybe some else can add to it

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am planning on being the one behind the wheel most of the time so I shoulld be able to keep everyone else at bay, except when I can sneak in a nap. Everyone on the trip is going to be budget conscious, so if it gets better miles to keep out of it, and I don't have to worry about melting it down, I think we should be okay. Except for my 16 year old niece, I am the youngest one on the trip. Of course that doesn't mean much, especially when they figure out what my little beast can do. We will just have to keep everyone reighned in.

I don't remember too many big hills on I-80 through Iowa and Nebraska. Once we get closer to Colorado I will have to keep an ear out. I think as long as we keep the cruise on, it will keep the "lead foot" factor out of it.

I wish I had the time and "extra" $ to get the pyrometer installed before we leave. Didn't work out that way this time.

Thanks for the help so far. Keep the comments coming, they are all welcome.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
I live in eastern Nebraska and my gf's dad lives in denver. TRUST ME, its a FLAT... FLAT... BORING drive. a few teeny tiny little hills from omaha to a lil past Lincoln, then its flat as can be all the way to denver pretty much. Ya, your slowly climbing up to denver, but I don't think there's any serious grades that would even cause anything close to trouble. Even the foothills in the last couple hundred miles before denver are pretty puny. As long as your on flat land and just crusin along, kick it up to the highest setting. Thats where you'll get your best mpg's.

Once you get past Denver, then you hit the big grades. I'd turn it down once you get into the mountains and are climbing grades alot.

P.S. If your interested I can tell ya some killer restaurants on your way through Nebraska...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise here. It sounds like if I just take it easy, and don't get crazy with the trottle, I should be alright. I'm not pulling anything, but gear for 4 hunters and a 16 year old girl. Get to use my truck cuz it's the only thing we can take and carry 5 people and gear that far without a trailer.

On a side note, I got this idea from a buddy who's dad runs an 02' DMax. He is also running the power pup. They run his on setting 3 all the time and get an extra 3 mpg. They turn it down when they hook onto anything. He has been doing this for a few years with no issues.

As for the restaurants, I don't think they are planning any stops for anything but fuel and restrooms. Thanks though. On second thought, PM me and I will see what they want to do.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Traveling by the dark of night after work on Friday, returning in about a week. :cool

If you see a black crew cab sitting next to I-80 in the next couple of days, you will know it didn't work out too well. Please stop, you can even say "I told you so!" as long as you help us get out of there.:rof

I will pass on the results some time after the 28th, if we make it all the way out there and back.:gearjamin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts