Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sierra SLE Double Cab 4WD 3.0 Duramax
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that live in the Northern areas that get snow in the winter (the salt belt as I call it), know the importance of rust proofing a vehicle. I have done it on other vehicles without issues but those other vehicles didn't have a wax coating sprayed on the frame (normally Ecoating or paint). Who has had this done on their GM truck and any unintended side effects? Who did you go with? I'm looking at Krown and Zeibart. Want to make sure the wax coating isn't going to end up getting soft with whatever is sprayed on and end up coming off. Real world experience/knowledge is always good. I have contacted the companies directly but all I get back is "we have never specifically tested for this (ie: softening/degradation of the wax coating)"..... one would have thought they would have tested this and have knowledge of it... Tx

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use fluid film and do it my self. I bought the spray kit from them, I moved up last fall and undercoated my truck before it got cold. I will re apply every fall. I took the wheel liners, brake lights, and molding plugs out and took my time to apply. the first time it took about 4 hours, this included jack stands and removing the wheels (spare too). there are a couple of videos on YouTube of a guy that has done it every year on his dads truck and it looks practically new. with the wands you can even spray up in the frame rails and down into the fenders. there are several sprays out there to look at. I have been eyeing "blaster" surface shield to try out.

Edit: now I have a shop with a lift so it should take less time. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read online that guys were saying that the FF in the spray can will basically erode the wax coating (not if sprayed by the wand though). Maybe some additional additive in the can or maybe someone that has no idea WTF they are talking about, IDK.
In any case, I'm not getting into spraying rust proofing oil on my vehicle. Don't have the proper tools, wands, time, patience, etc. Will be one of the bigger brand name commercial ones. Just wondering about people's real world experiences over time. Tx

·
Registered
963 Posts
Fluid film here. Every year. Upstate NY salt brine. Only thing i dislike is getting covered in dirty wax when doing any work. Just try not to touch things i dont need to, but inevitably end up with some on the back side of my arm ha. But i'll take that over a rotted out pickup. Always pains me to see a '15 box bubbling out. I spray inside the fenders and all. DIY sprayer from amazon and a gallon does the trick.

·
Registered
503 Posts
going to have my 2022 done with first class protection, by berkebileoil oil.....local shop doing it for me....been having the beater done with carwell but was rusty when i started

·
Registered
963 Posts
Side note....works good on trailers too. Have a 4 place aluminum sled trailer with steel axles. Douse them suckers down to keep the rust at bay. They take a lot of salt spray.

·
Registered
2006 Chevy CCSB 164k mi. Banks parts, 10” lift on 35’s for now
43 Posts
I’ve also been using FluidFilm. 7 years on my truck that was originally from Texas. Still looks immaculate. The wax on the frame has disappeared over time and I suspect it is from the FF. It would be easy enough to avoid the frame and just coat everything else. That’s my plan on my new truck. Probably get some black cosmaline spray cans off Amazon to touch up the frame. I do coat everything in FF. Inside the doors, inside rockers and cab corners, over the inside of all wheel wells etc. and everything you can see underneath. I’m using the sprayer kit from Amazon also.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Krown is a Canadian product that is sold and used here in the states. Where I live, so close to the border, Krown is used in many shops around here. I've had it done to all my vehicles and couple friends have done it to theirs as well. One has a 2020 2500 and another has a 2022 3500 and neither have any issues with the Krown product, I know, little early on the 2022. I had my 2011 done years ago and never had issues with it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
One other thing I might add that I haven't seen mentioned, when I had Krown done they actually drilled some holes in the doors and sprayed the product inside. I was hesitant when they asked permission but they showed me a truck that had already been done and after the holes were plugged with black plastic plugs, it looked very good. In fact, if I hadn't seen the truck before, I wouldn't have know the plugs weren't factory.

Can't speak to the wax degradation question, but my opinion of the factory wax is that it's probably really not worth trying to save. Everywhere I've seen it scraped off, it seems like the frame is rustier in those spots than old trucks that have never seen any kind of rustproofing at all. I personally wouldn't worry about it. Let the wax erode then get coated with Krown, or Fluid Film or whatever you use annually.

·
Registered
963 Posts
And to tack onto that, just because there is surface rust, it STILL works. My frame once up here from texas got surface rust on the frame and it actually sticks better. That stuff creeps everywhere. Factory frame wax is junk.

·
Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
979 Posts
First place all my trucks go after PDI is to Krown. Doesn't seem to bother the wax coating....I tend to destroy the wax with careless steam washing more than anything. :cry:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just don't zeibart. that stuff makes the frame rot faster than if you were soaking it in a salt bath...
There are 2 types of products Ziebart sells/sprays I believe, one is this product which is a rubberized type asphalt coating which I would never use for the reasons seen in the video but they also have a dripless oil coating (thicker that just plain Krown liquid rust proofing). It is also an oil based rust inhibitor (don’t think it’s only a Canadian thing…?)

I think I will start with the Krown and see how it lasts on the chassis/underside throughout the winter. I know Krown is great for doors and getting into seams, etc as it creeps it’s way in over time… so rust cant even start.

·
Premium Member
2017 GMC sierra,Denali 3500 L5P
803 Posts
I have been using Ziebart since the 70's my 2017 is done, you go back every year for a refresh to maintain warranty, never had a Ziebart vehicle show rust!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
For ease of use I also vote and use fluid film - you can even purchase right on Amazon these days. For the best of the best, POR15. But for that i would recommend going to a body shop and have them spray the frame and everything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts