Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I would like to thank Durallymax for his "Read Before Posting Please". Because I am a newbie, I have read it twice, made a copy of it, copied the fuel filter write-up and the tick/knock write-up. But I still have 3 questions.
I have a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD
(1) where can I get a good repair manual, or do I have to spend the big bucks for a GM manual?
(2) The lights on the steering wheel and dash are slowly going out. How can I replace them, or are they fiber optic and if so how can I get them to work again?
(3) There seems to be some confusion as to what engine I have. According to the Wikipedia, I have an LLY. But I have seen other posts saying that this is an LBZ. My VIN's 8th digit is "2" . So far I'm going with the Wikipedia.
Thanks for any help or comments,
HF

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
1 and 2 i cannot answer, but for 3 if you still have the stock intake it has a sticker that says the hp rating. if it says 310 its an lly and if it says 350 its an lbz.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
1 and 2 i cannot answer, but for 3 if you still have the stock intake it has a sticker that says the hp rating. if it says 310 its an lly and if it says 350 its an lbz.
360 HP * :drink

You can replace the lights, just bulbs.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
First off, I would like to thank Durallymax for his "Read Before Posting Please". Because I am a newbie, I have read it twice, made a copy of it, copied the fuel filter write-up and the tick/knock write-up. But I still have 3 questions.
I have a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD
(1) where can I get a good repair manual, or do I have to spend the big bucks for a GM manual?
(2) The lights on the steering wheel and dash are slowly going out. How can I replace them, or are they fiber optic and if so how can I get them to work again?
(3) There seems to be some confusion as to what engine I have. According to the Wikipedia, I have an LLY. But I have seen other posts saying that this is an LBZ. My VIN's 8th digit is "2" . So far I'm going with the Wikipedia.
Thanks for any help or comments,
HF
You have an 06 LLY ,its the EXACT same as an LBZ but its running the old lly tune on the lbz engine, hit it with a tuner and u have an lbz, you have to buy lbz parts etc, lly parts will not fit.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
also if you dont mind using your computer to check for repair info....

check out alldatadiy.com

I use it all the time super handy and you can print things as well. Looks identical to a repair manual, just online. Easy to search for things and I have yet to be able to find something on it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey what part of TN. you from? Your #2 in the vin should be for an LLY thats the same as my truck. I put a PPE tuner on it and wow did it wake it up. On lvl 2 it gave it lots more power and way better fuel economy. Lvl 3 is even better as long as you can keep your foot out of it, tempting as it may be.:rockin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also if you dont mind using your computer to check for repair info....

check out alldatadiy.com

I use it all the time super handy and you can print things as well. Looks identical to a repair manual, just online. Easy to search for things and I have yet to be able to find something on it.
Thanks for your reply and help . I also found the complete GM manual on line ...about 1500 pages , that you can download in PDF. I didn't try to print it , but once you save it, it comes up pretty fast..
Thanks again

·
Registered
407 Posts
OOPS forgot, the steering wheel lights I can't help with mine are still working. Repair manuals I have seen on e-bay some in book form some on CD format, prices vary. You looking for just one on the engine or on the whole truck?

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
To answer your question to number #2......your best bet is to cough up about $40.00....get some LEDs and resistors, and solder them on...no more burn outs :) But with the steering wheel control lights....I just disconnected mine, because I don't know HOW anyone could fit an LED and resistor in there.....I tried with 3MM Pirannahs even and couldn't do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey what part of TN. you from? Your #2 in the vin should be for an LLY thats the same as my truck. I put a PPE tuner on it and wow did it wake it up. On lvl 2 it gave it lots more power and way better fuel economy. Lvl 3 is even better as long as you can keep your foot out of it, tempting as it may be.:rockin
Thanks for your help. I am still getting conflicting answers, but what the hey?? I'm originally from Kingsport, went to UT Knox been in Fl. since 75 and have a cabin in Gatlinburg, which I will be at in another two weeks.
Been thinking about getting an EFI live programmer. We'll see.
Have a good one.:newb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To answer your question to number #2......your best bet is to cough up about $40.00....get some LEDs and resistors, and solder them on...no more burn outs :) But with the steering wheel control lights....I just disconnected mine, because I don't know HOW anyone could fit an LED and resistor in there.....I tried with 3MM Pirannahs even and couldn't do it.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to figure out how to get at them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts