Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine has a SC-IV VB from his 5spd he is wanting to sell me. Its only got 4700 miles on it and was in-house Suncoast modded. No backyard billy's hack shack action going on. Has all 3 trim solenoids and 2 brand new shift solenoids (1098a/1099b). Said they give a little higher line pressure than the normal SC VB. Said it has $900 worth of solenoids and was $1400 total. I'd be getting it for 1/3 of that.

My question before I go diving in to this: Will this help the tranny hold any sort of extra hp? I was planning on swapping to EFI with a TCM tune but didn't wanna order the tcm tunes without knowing if I was going to be installing this or not.

I run the PPE 160 tune at the 1/8mi track but once it gets up higher in 5th at the 1320 track, the added power and stock tranny probably wouldnt exactly agree with each other too well. Planning on doing some clutch packs and a TC when tax returns come in, but I wanted as much info as I could get on the VB while I have the chance to capitalize on this price.

He said another LB7 guy runs a PPE 300hp tune with the same VB on a truck with a 7-9" lift and 37's. Only limps it randomly. I figured it this was true, mine wouldnt have a problem with a slightly higher than stock tranny EFI tune, but since I have no basis for this assumption, I seek the advice and wisdom of you guys.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for taking the time. Heyyaa

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Changing the valve body is not going to help the trans hold any more power-- in fact, I am surprised that the "Stock" trans is still holding together.

You will have to pull the trans and upgrade the clutches-- and increase the line pressure.

In my opinion-- replacing the valve body is a waste of money that could be used toward the up grade. There is no short-cuts to make the tranny hold more torque.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SC-IV VB does increase line pressure.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it does not. try not talking out of your ass when you know nothing.
Just going on what I'm being told, but thanks for not pointing out my error of information like a prick. So i guess this would be pointless to buy right now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts