Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Scan tool for BCM codes?

21K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  306LBZ 
#1 ·
Is there an affordable scan tool out there that will scan BCM codes. I'm having a service park assist issue on my 15.5HighCountry LML and none of my scanners will come up with a code for my issue. I have the torque pro app. An autocal for my LBZ and an Ancel scanner that does the auto brake bleed and stuff. But none of them will help with my current issue. What is a decent and possibly kind of affordable scan tool that might help me out?

#3 ·
Had my brother in law try his new blue driver unit on it and it did come up with codes I didnt know Were on there. But didnt show anything for park assist. Just a weird abs code and some randoms

#4 ·
Looking in to the autel maxicom mk808bt unit now but it's a little pricey. Any more thoughts opinions?

#5 ·
Looks like you are in Canada somewhere. In the US, OReillys auto parts stores are equipped with Bosch scanners that will find most all codes stored on your truck. If you have something comparable, give them a try.

#6 ·
Nobody up here does that. Can go to a local independent shop but they will still charge at least $60-$120 just to scan for a code. We get screwed up here. That's why I've learned to try and work on my own stuff and have been acquiring various scan tools. I just should have bought a decent one to start instead. So I'm looking now. Better to have one for the next issue too.

#20 ·
Wow Mr Canada. You think a professional mechanic who has invested in the right equipment is trying to screw you out of $60 to read your codes?

I have no idea what you do for a living but in many lines of work professionals make major investments in the proper tools to help people. These can be tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. OReily while offering a scan may have no better capability than you. You must do something that requires no capital to buy the proper equipment to do the job efficiently for your customers. What is the value of your time, and then clearly no expertise in this field?? Maybe you should pay the guy 60 bucks and get your answer or spend hours trying to find a cheap scanner?

#7 ·
Might want to write down ALL the codes found with any scanner. It often happens that a problem with one device will cause a problem with another un-related device.

#8 ·
That's a good call. Probably more true with all these new fancy electronics. They are nice when they work but super annoying having to trouble shoot this stuff here.

#10 ·
Can inuse my current cheapo bluetooth "dongle" plugged in to my obd port under the dash that I currently use the torque app with? Basically is this just an app?

#12 ·
What if I was to use my brother in laws blue driver bluetooth obd deal? Might that one work?

Edit: just read a line where it says somthing about some things being off limits to blue driver so I assume maybe not...

#14 ·
I see . Before doing more research I assume this will just be to look a little more in depth and scan for more in depth codes but still not have "bi-directional" functions. I'm sure much better but still just a monitoring tool?

#16 ·
Sounds pretty in depth. I just hate to spend 2-300 then end up buying the aute for another 8-1200 eventually anyway. BUT... this sounds like it may be worth a shot off first look. Thank you for letting me know brother. I started thinking these forums were inactive after my last few threads since coming back on, but apparently they are still somwhat alive and active.

#18 ·
I fell off awhile ago. But when I came back it was like post a question and nothing at all. After things changed I couldn't even find some old threads I needed to check back for a refresher on. Seems like google and utoob are quicker better referenced rather than looking for experienced opinion here anymore. But I hope thats not the case. Maybe with all this stuff going on people will come back and help and look for help. I'm sure a lot of people are trying to save a buck and will need some help and maybe give some help back too.

#19 ·
Does anyone know what the differences are between the Autel MaxiCOM MK808 and the MK808BT? Just ones bluetooth and the other not or are there other differences?

#21 ·
You really have no knowledge to add to this conversation do ya. Just trying to get your post count up and troll a thread tonight I'm guessing. Congrats on #18 bud. Was using this thread to ask for help/opinions on the topic at hand as this forum is intended. Not really looking for somone to indirectly call me as a$$hole but hey whatever makes you feel like a big man on the internet buddy. And fyi my previous remark about the cost of scanning for a code wasnt that I was unwilling to pay somone so much as that it is much more convenient to have the ability yourself as well as have the ability for the assumed many more times it most likely will happen in the future.

#22 ·
What is post count? Actually I am a professional mechanic with 14 techs working for me. And I use my real name so not hiding. My reaction was to your specific comment: "Can go to a local independent shop but they will still charge at least $60-$120 just to scan for a code. We get screwed up here."

I think everyone should buy all the tools and scan tools they can to maintain their equipment. I do not at all agree with your comment on the cost and it "screws" customers. Sorry

#23 ·
I hear you there but compared to the US pricing and cost of pretty anything and everything labor included. We do get screwed up here. You guys pay much less for much more in the US. That was what I meant by MY comment. So, sorry that you interpreted my comment in a way that I hadn't intended. But what I was actually meaning, is the truth of the matter. Not exactly saying they are 'screwing' people intentionally but costs are generally much more inflated north of your border. For example you guys can get a code scanned for free. We will pay an hour labor for even a basic code being scanned.

#24 ·
Back to one of your suggestions 306LBZ, use your in-laws Blue Driver and see what you find. I tried mine thinking it might show me precisely what modules it scanned, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't tell you that. It does tell me that there are no DTC's set for any module scanned. The website says it scans BCM and the BCM is where I would expect to find information about your problem. Unless he's far away and fuel costs are too high, it might be your best option. And it's too bad that you can't get codes scanned for free. It just takes a couple of minutes, builds good will between scanner and truck owner, and it may earn someone a job they would like to have. Having the code is only a 1st step of many likely steps to solve the problem. That test equipment is expensive, and you likely don't just need one.

#25 ·
While the auto parts store scan is a great value to many people you have to think of the typical parts person here, the depth of their knowledge and their ability to form a diagnoses based on the code. Some codes are slam dunks, most are not. And I am not knocking parts guys, we interact with them everyday and the betters one are invaluable, but in general their knowledge is all over the board. Specifically to your age truck the codes are directional to a "possible" problem which a more experienced mechanic, based on years of experience, can make educated guess where to start diagnosing. Newer car codes get very specific and the most advance tell you what parts to replace! Good luck. I think once you get a scanner that supports your needs it will be more directional information.

#26 ·
He scanned it no codes came up that apply. He emailed bluedriver they said that it does normally do BCM codes BUT starting in 2014(2015 for these HD's) that they arent able to do this module for whatever manufacturer software reasons.

Process dropped by $140ish for the MX+ so I decided to order it and give it a try. I may end up ordering an Autel unit in the future but I'll check this one out for now when I get it and hopfuly it's all its sounds cracked up to be.

#27 ·
Nikonovich, I believe you are 100% correct there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.