Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first diesel truck, a 2006 2500HD/Duramax. Dealer told me that it had a lot more load than it really does. I also bought a 5th wheel with a 2800# pin weight. Loaded, my rear tires are overloaded by 1200#. I can't find a tire in a load range higher than the "E" range now on the truck. I have seen 19.5 inch wheels and tires that will give me the extra capacity.
I know that I screwed up, so please help me without beating me up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dandy
Had 03HD 6.0 and we started looking to upgrade in trailers To a 5er. And told my wife we would a new truck to pull it with. New truck, new trailer. 2800# pin weight dry, and if you know anything about Sunnybrooks they have a huge basement in them. two e-z- ups, 15 chairs ladder-golf, softball equipment for 2, 20'x9' carpet, 3 big tubs with, you know, with camping stuff. And there is more. OH YA, One cooler that takes two to carry:drink
I'm going to weight it one of these days, maybe not. Thought I would need air bags, but I don't, only run 6 lbs in them. Lots of power, handles fine. Haven't pulled it since I put Bilsteins on. Hope this helps:drink

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ramblinrodney,
what are your rear tires? I'm afraid that my 245/75R16s in load range E can't handle the weight. I figure that loaded tongue weight is 2800# + 77 gallons of diesel at 6# = another 462# + hitch at 200# + myself, wife and dog = 400#, that's 3862# total. That's actually 1288# over.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dandy
Like my sig. says. All stock.245-75-16s-E Going to get 265E when mine wear out. Trailer 10,900 Dry, 80gal. water.All the other things that go in,basement stuff,1 yellow lab
Pin 2800 Dry, Don't know how much loaded. Truck,4/5 people,26gal. fuel, nerf bars,line-x, hitch, couple hundred lbs of fire wood. I don't even want to add it up. I did add it up one time, maybe 1500lbs over pin weight. I won't give you a number how many are over loaded going down the road. But what I have and your one more, look whats going down the high way, you'll get the number after a while. I drive 70+:gearjamin :drink

·
Registered
58 Posts
Load Rating Vs. Load Range

I bought my first diesel truck, a 2006 2500HD/Duramax. Dealer told me that it had a lot more load than it really does. I also bought a 5th wheel with a 2800# pin weight. Loaded, my rear tires are overloaded by 1200#. I can't find a tire in a load range higher than the "E" range now on the truck. I have seen 19.5 inch wheels and tires that will give me the extra capacity.
I know that I screwed up, so please help me without beating me up.
ok,, I did a litle research just for you:

I checked on the discount tire website looking for tires I believe to fit your application. I have learned a little about "load ranges" and "load rating". It seems that "load range" is used for tires designated as "light truck" only. If you utilize the "load rating" instead of the "load range" system you will be able to find tires with a higher weight rating.

Go to this website: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/se...r=2007&sw=false&cs=265&vid=010591&rd=16&ar=75

you will see this tire:
Pathfinder All Terrain
LT265/75R16E1 123Q W (1575

It is my understanding that the "123" toward the end of the tire size is the "load rating".

At this website there is a chart that identifies the "load rating":
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoLoadIndex.dos

By translating the "123" into "load rating" it should be 3,417 lbs per tire, which I think is better than what you have seen using the "load range" scale, (about 2800 lbs?).

Using this method it looks to me that you can get up to nearly 7,000 lbs on the rear axle, I think that this would probably do the trick for you!

If this is not quite enough, I would think that you could do better than the "123" rating by looking around.

From what I have gathered the "Load Range" system is kind of a "bastard child" of the tire industry, and that it is primarily used on LT tires for inflation recomendations.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats why people go to larger tires,you don't have to run 80#s in them to yield a higher rating, and you get a better ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ramblinrodney and JMD,
Thanks for the input. Both of you have helped put me on the right track to putting this pr4oblem away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dandy,
Have you weighed your rig to see what the actual weight on the rear axle is? The pin weight rating, if memory serves, is a maximum figure like GVWR. You may find that your actual weight is no where near that. Weigh your truck and then hook up and weigh the rig. Sure is alot cheaper than tires you don't need. my .02 cents

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vernh,
Your 100% correct. I only found out about this problem a couple of days ago, and had some foot surgery yesterday, so I can't get to a scale (60 miles from here) until I can drive.The scale will be my first move before doing anything.
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Vernh,
Your 100% correct. I only found out about this problem a couple of days ago, and had some foot surgery yesterday, so I can't get to a scale (60 miles from here) until I can drive.The scale will be my first move before doing anything.
Thanks
Yuo must really live in the sticks! (or californina) 60 miles to a scale is a long way.

I am in a business where I might be able to find you a closer one if you want me to try.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in Navarre, Florida - about half way between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach. Closest scale that I know of is at a truck stop off of I-10 in Crestview.
I tried looking them up in the phone book and at truck places.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ramblinrodney,
what are your rear tires? I'm afraid that my 245/75R16s in load range E can't handle the weight. I figure that loaded tongue weight is 2800# + 77 gallons of diesel at 6# = another 462# + hitch at 200# + myself, wife and dog = 400#, that's 3862# total. That's actually 1288# over.
Diesel actually weighs in on AVG. of 7.1lbs./us gal.:drink

·
Registered
58 Posts
I live in Navarre, Florida - about half way between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach. Closest scale that I know of is at a truck stop off of I-10 in Crestview.
I tried looking them up in the phone book and at truck places.
Yea, there is one in pensacola at the jct of hwy 29 north and I -10,, I dont think that is any closer though!

My mother in law lived in navare before the huricane, she still lives around there somewhere close by.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I stand corrected, 555 +/- pounds of fuel, anything else?
Nope that should do it. hahaha just givin ya a chuckle didnt want anybody to think you didnt know that my friend.:drink

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need to thank everyone for your help. I am sure that I know what I need to do and that I can do it without having any issues with safety or damage my truck.
Thanks again

·
Registered
86 Posts
Our 05 with factory 265 LR E tires say they have a capacity of 3500#'s each. Your 245's shouldn't be THAT different if they are LRE.

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Hey Dandy,
Dad has Load range E tires in a 265/75/16 on his 05 LLy Crew sb. He pumps them up to about 60lbs and puts a skid of seed corn in the back and it does fine. Squats a little and the tires are bulgin a little bit but it works fine and the skid of corn weighs about 3500. That's putting it in a sb with a tool box so it is no centered over the axle. Rests out on the tailgate a little bit. If you're worried about squating the truck, get some airbags or helper springs but I would suggest airbags.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts