Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first diesel truck, a 2006 2500HD/Duramax. Dealer told me that it had a lot more load than it really does. I also bought a 5th wheel with a 2800# pin weight. Loaded, my rear tires are overloaded by 1200#. I can't find a tire in a load range higher than the "E" range now on the truck. I have seen 19.5 inch wheels and tires that will give me the extra capacity.
I know that I screwed up, so please help me without beating me up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ramblinrodney,
what are your rear tires? I'm afraid that my 245/75R16s in load range E can't handle the weight. I figure that loaded tongue weight is 2800# + 77 gallons of diesel at 6# = another 462# + hitch at 200# + myself, wife and dog = 400#, that's 3862# total. That's actually 1288# over.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vernh,
Your 100% correct. I only found out about this problem a couple of days ago, and had some foot surgery yesterday, so I can't get to a scale (60 miles from here) until I can drive.The scale will be my first move before doing anything.
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in Navarre, Florida - about half way between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach. Closest scale that I know of is at a truck stop off of I-10 in Crestview.
I tried looking them up in the phone book and at truck places.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need to thank everyone for your help. I am sure that I know what I need to do and that I can do it without having any issues with safety or damage my truck.
Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
2500HD overload

Thanks for the reply.
The real issue is tires. I have weighed the truck with full fuel at 75 gallons, fifth wheel assembly, my wife and I plus 100# of concrete block in the back seat to take care of misc. The rear axle weight was 3400 lbs. I am using 2800lbs as my estimate for my fifth wheel pin weight when the trailer has been loaded. This puts my total rear axle load at 6200lbs. The original tires, 245/75/16 load range E tires at 80psi are rated for 3042lbs each for a total capacity of 6084lbs. Now I realize that I am only over by 158lbs or 79lbs/tire, but this is still overload and now safety margin. The 265/75/16E tires have 3415lbs capacity per tire.
When I wrote my original thread I had not weighed my truck yet.
Now that it's done I feel that everything is under control.
Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Goodyear 235/85R-16 in LR F

Thanks for the reply
Now thats interesting, especially since so many seem to have the problem of of tire overload on the rear axle because they didn't go with DRW. Do you know where these tires are generally used, and are they readily available?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Help from DragonSlayer

I do appreciate the offer of help. This thread is a little old, and I have solved most of my problems towing with my 2500.
I was a little overloaded on the rear axle and went to a bigger tire with more load capacity. I've since towed my 5th wheel (Sunnybrook 31BWFS) about 7,000 miles and I have had no problems. I've also verified my loads at the CAT Scale
off of 29 in Pensacola just off I-10.I'm about 6300#s on the rear wheels and the 265 load range E Michilens are good for
over 6800#s.
Thanks again for your offer of help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.