Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
you won't notice a whole lot of difference between the 265s and the 245s in towing allthough like it was stated earlier,it does help to have less sidewall it will have less sway..just my experience...came out of kentucky one day and hit the scales at 41k with a load of logs,lr e tires are deffentlly recomended for heavy towing

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would purchase some riderite http://www.riderite.com 5000lb rear airbags. I loaded my 97 GMC with some gravel one time and left the yard weighing 13,860 and my bed was still level with only 40 psi in the bags, kind of scary until I got some more air in the bags at the garage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
2500HD overload

Thanks for the reply.
The real issue is tires. I have weighed the truck with full fuel at 75 gallons, fifth wheel assembly, my wife and I plus 100# of concrete block in the back seat to take care of misc. The rear axle weight was 3400 lbs. I am using 2800lbs as my estimate for my fifth wheel pin weight when the trailer has been loaded. This puts my total rear axle load at 6200lbs. The original tires, 245/75/16 load range E tires at 80psi are rated for 3042lbs each for a total capacity of 6084lbs. Now I realize that I am only over by 158lbs or 79lbs/tire, but this is still overload and now safety margin. The 265/75/16E tires have 3415lbs capacity per tire.
When I wrote my original thread I had not weighed my truck yet.
Now that it's done I feel that everything is under control.
Thanks again

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
if you wanted to,goodyear builds a 235-85R16 in a LR F(12ply) tire but it is only in a straight tread and it is the same heigth as the 265's just not as wide..just a thought i had

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Goodyear 235/85R-16 in LR F

Thanks for the reply
Now thats interesting, especially since so many seem to have the problem of of tire overload on the rear axle because they didn't go with DRW. Do you know where these tires are generally used, and are they readily available?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Thanks for the reply
Now thats interesting, especially since so many seem to have the problem of of tire overload on the rear axle because they didn't go with DRW. Do you know where these tires are generally used, and are they readily available?
any goodyear tire shop will have access to them but they aren't cheap,i quoted it wrong it is the Goodyear G614 RST LR G(14ply)...they are well over $200 each.. http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html they call it a trailer and rv tire but i have put them on regular trucks a had very good luck with them,they'll do every thing your truck can handle as far as weight...hope this helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a really old thread so I'm guessing I'm too late to help, but your truck has plenty of load capacity for what you're doing if you get the right tires -- 19.5" wheels and tires from Rickson will give you 10,000# cap on the rear axle. Rickson Truck Wheels and Accessories

Just get some Firestone RideRite airbags and you'll be good to go!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pulling Weight

I just got done reading the forums,I have a 01 3500 DA stock pulling a 38 ft fver tri- axle that weighs 19,600,and the truck close to 8,000,last time I weighed them it was around 26,400 together & the truck pulls the load like nothing to it.Got 102,600 on the truck now with 6 yrs. of 90% pulling.Bene through 3 sets of stock tires with no trouble at all.Got a 20,000 lb. reese in the truck.For a 01 its bene a good truck to me,never had any trouble yet.Hope everybodys truck runs like mine.Oh Ya,Mileage is : Empty-16-18 m.p.g.,5-8-pulling.:gearjamin

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey, dandy, I know its kinda late now, but....I live in Pensacola, off Mobile Hwy, if you ever need some help after surgery or anything, send me a PM and I would love to give you a hand.:drink The wife and kid and I are always lookin' for something to get into...:cool

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Help from DragonSlayer

I do appreciate the offer of help. This thread is a little old, and I have solved most of my problems towing with my 2500.
I was a little overloaded on the rear axle and went to a bigger tire with more load capacity. I've since towed my 5th wheel (Sunnybrook 31BWFS) about 7,000 miles and I have had no problems. I've also verified my loads at the CAT Scale
off of 29 in Pensacola just off I-10.I'm about 6300#s on the rear wheels and the 265 load range E Michilens are good for
over 6800#s.
Thanks again for your offer of help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just recently replaced my michellins (60,000+ miles) with a set of BFG AT-TA's load range E. I made sure to stay with the stock tire size. I have noticed with this new rubber that I have a LOT of traction, more so than I've ever noticed before with the michellins. I'm not so worried about the load range but more so with a bit of sway I feel as I drive down the road with slight movements of the steering wheel... Could it be the sidewall flexing? It's not a tall tire... Or could it just be the softer rubber since its an all terrain tire? Either way, I'm excited to see how they handle off road.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
ramblinrodney,
what are your rear tires? I'm afraid that my 245/75R16s in load range E can't handle the weight. I figure that loaded tongue weight is 2800# + 77 gallons of diesel at 6# = another 462# + hitch at 200# + myself, wife and dog = 400#, that's 3862# total. That's actually 1288# over.
A load range E should be no less than 3600# PER TIRE you have a tire on each side so you are fine.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Possible help

I bought my first diesel truck, a 2006 2500HD/Duramax. Dealer told me that it had a lot more load than it really does. I also bought a 5th wheel with a 2800# pin weight. Loaded, my rear tires are overloaded by 1200#. I can't find a tire in a load range higher than the "E" range now on the truck. I have seen 19.5 inch wheels and tires that will give me the extra capacity.
I know that I screwed up, so please help me without beating me up.
Hey, there is another way. There are several companies that offer air bag system. I put a set on my 2500 with a E rated tire and I was pulling a pin weight of #3500.. You can also try a set back fifth hitch system.. I hope this helps.. If you can't find anyone with the system email me at [email protected]..

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.