Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAY 1: I talked to alot of diesel mechanics and they use this product called sea foam in all vehicles, and in alot of diesels. It takes the carbon out of the engine. I followed the direction completely. I let the truck get warm and slowly injected it through the intake very slowly. After the bottle was empty I turned my truck off like the instructions says, and waited 5 minutes before restarting. I restarted after 5 minutes and my truck smoked alot like its suppose too. Then my truck went from 1000 rpm to 5000 rpm in 1 second. I turned the key off to kill the truck. It is moving air through my air filter positive and negitive and it don't idle good at all. It's pushing liquid carbon up my boost tube line to my gauges. Turned it off. All the mechanics I talked to has never heard of this happening or seen it before?

Day 2: Tried to start truck and it wont idle at all now. It's blowing chunks of carbon the size of silver dollars out of my tail pipe when I'm cranking it over. It started to suck the carbon out of my boost lines now. The truck isn't throwing any codes at all.

My question is: Is there so much carbon in the manifolds and valves that its plugged it all up, or did I mess up my valves completely? If I do get it started do I run another bottle to try and get the rest of the carbon out, or do I need to have the valve covers removed and them cleaned out?

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
well im not the best for advice but if it were me id just run it and see if it cleared up. if it was mine id done got pissed and held it to the floor.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
From my understanding.....you didn't put it in your intake......heard of it being used in the oil system to clean that out...

But yes I'd imagine if you poured into your intake and it sucked it it through your turbo, then yes it would compress it and shoot it up the milk line to the gauge...

Pretty sure if it jumped RPMs to 5k.....more than likely it in reality probably went higher than that and you might have screwed something up really bad...

Hence why you shouldn't do it, kinda like adding starting fluid.

I go back to these "diesel mechanics" and kick them in the nuts....

·
Registered
771 Posts
Man that is the narliest story I have read on here in a long time. Let me know what the outcome is because I have been thinking about doing this to my 450C cummins in my boat.

Hope its nothing bad!

The stuff I have looked at is suppose to be injected right into the turbo while running at cruise under load. You might have a saturation issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just called my mechanic and Im going to have him go into my motor and check all my valves and rods to make sure nothing is broken or bent.

Positive note my stage 2 turbo will be put on the same time he gets my truck all finished.

·
Registered
56 Posts
subscribe

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
I am taking a wild guess but I have a feeling your mechanic will find a bent rod.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had one pretty crazy experience with seafoam myself. One of my buddies runs seafoam in all of his vehicles and has never had an issue with it. One day I was over at his garage and he was applying seafoam to this 1981 Toyota Celica he just bought.
He did it through a vaccum line or something like that but the car did kind of the opposite of what your truck did, it started to die down. It was smoking like a freight train and the chunks of carbon coming out of the exhaust were unbelieveable...

·
Registered
35 Posts
just go drive it, its proly all clogged up. go around the block WOT and see what happens.
its like in my ws6, when the plugs get wet and it idles like shit, i just run that bitch hard, dries em out real quick.

**disclaimer** i know nothing about diesels and if you blow up your motor, i am truly sorry. but i do feel its just clogged. go run that bitch

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
you can use seafoam in the crankcase, in the fuel tank, and in the intake. I did it a few times letting a vaccum hose suck it in on my old F-150. The truck never surged like you said yours did, but it would die and spew all kinds of crap out of the tailpipe, did seem like the truck would run better after that for abit, however about 2 years after i sold the truck I talked to the guy and he said the converter was clogged, so maybe seafoam was the cause? who knows. Have you tried starting it anymore?

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
I've used seafoam in my fuel and to prime the fuel filter halfway. I've read that you can put it in your crankcase prior to an oil change to clean the engine but i have yet to see any directive to put it through the intake. I don't think i would have tried that if Christ himself told me to.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
On a gasser the "Seafoam" will stall the motor out due to flooding the motor when pouring it into the intake..

On a diesel, just the opposite !! The motor will use it as fuel, and cause a runaway situation !!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
On a gasser the "Seafoam" will stall the motor out due to flooding the motor when pouring it into the intake..

On a diesel, just the opposite !! The motor will use it as fuel, and cause a runaway situation !!
3 lessons that should be taken away from this thread....:neener

1. Air goes in the intake

2. Fuel goes in the fuel tank

3. Oil goes in the engine and drains down into the oil pan

·
Less than desired
992 Posts

CORRECT!!! :D If you feel the need to use "Seafoam" put it in the fuel tank or (not what i would do), but what the manufacturer recommends put it directly into the fuel filter... But no matter what if you are unsure of any procedure do your research first so you dont break shit!?!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Below is what I found on the "Seafoam" website:

Sea Foam is very safe and effective in the ways described above. Most people that own and work on Diesel cars and trucks know that no liquids can be used through the air intake system of a Diesel engine including cleaners and starting fluids. If this is done to a Diesel engine it can cause major engine damage including Hydro-Lock or uncontrolled engine acceleration known as “RUN AWAY”. Do not add Sea Foam to the air intake of a Diesel engine!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
FYI

Close All | Open All
Using Sea Foam Spray to Clean a Sealed Intake System
Use Sea Foam Spray to clean carbon deposits from the intake systems, intake valves, and combustion chambers of your engine.

Use Sea Foam Spray to clean all these areas with the cleaning tube inserted into the sealed air intake system to spray Sea Foam into the engine from in front of the throttle plate. See side panel for illustration.

Warm up engine and turn off all accessories.

Shut engine off.

DO NOT use in enclosed area, make sure exhaust is well ventilated
DO NOT use a scan tool to increase RPM via the air by-pass valve
DO NOT spray Sea Foam into the mass airflow Sensor
Locate the engine throttle body and remove air intake boot. Install the Sea Foam cleaning tube by inserting the short end of the hook guide into the throttle body, positioning the tube directly in front of the throttle plate. Ideal placement of hook guide is at top center of throttle body housing (12 o’clock.) Place end of cleaning tube within ¼” of throttle plate by adjusting cleaning tube in or out of hook guide. Replace air intake boot to hold cleaning tube assembly in place.

With the vehicle in park or neutral and parking brake engaged start engine and increase idle speed 500 to 1000 RPM above factory idle specification. Increasing engine RPM is important for the following reasons:

The Sea Foam cleaner must be evenly distributed
The Sea Foam cleaner must fully atomize
The Sea Foam cleaner must pass through the throttle body, not the air by-pass
Find a method to hold engine RPM steady as this application takes approximately 5 minutes

After ½ can of Sea Foam has been used, approximately 2-3 minutes, stop spray, return engine to normal idle speed and shut off engine.

Remove cleaning tube from throttle body and reattach air inlet boot to throttle body and tighten clamp.

Let vehicle sit about 5 minutes then restart in a well ventilated area, as exhaust may be extreme for a short time. Road test, driving aggressively, to remove any remaining carbon. REPEAT SEA FOAM TREATEMENT AS NECESSARY.

Cleaning the Induction System on Vortec and Other Exotic Intake Engines
*NOTE – THIS OPERATION ONLY PERTAINS TO 1993 – 2000 4.3 LITER AND 5.7 LITER VORTEC ENGINES*

With the engine warm and turned off. Remove the air intake boot and open the throttle plate. Attach Sea Foam Spray’s 30” induction cleaning tube to the Sea Foam Spray can and feed the tube into the air intake until it reaches the plenum. The 30” induction cleaning tube has a 360 degree spray pattern so the Sea Foam Spray will distribute to all cylinders evenly. Spray for thirty seconds while slowly removing the 30” induction cleaning tube. Reconnect the air intake boot and allow at least 10 minutes for Sea Foam Spray to re-liquefy fuel varnish deposits that hold carbon together. Start the engine in a well ventilated area as exhaust will be extreme for a short period of time. Drive the vehicle aggressively for approximately four miles or until the heavy exhaust clears. Repeat this treatment process as necessary.

Sea Foam has introduced a convenient new long-reach straw for performing an engine treatment in special situations like Vortec engines and Subaru’s H style engines, where there is no single vacuum line for all cylinders. These situations require spraying of Sea Foam Spray directly into the throttle body. The long-reach straw is uniquely designed to spray 360 degrees through 4 holes in the side of the straw, to help in evenly distributing the spray to all cylinders and throughout the inside of throttle bodies.

Begin by removing the air intake boot from the throttle body

With the throttle body now exposed, it will be easy to see the built-up varnish and fuel residue on the butterfly valve.

Feed the 30” straw into the throat of the throttle body until it reaches the plenum.

Start the engine, ensuring you have very good ventilation. A large amount of white exhaust smoke will be generated for a few minutes. Drive the car aggressively for about 5 minutes to aid in expelling the varnish and gum deposits liquefied by Sea Foam Spray.

Cleaning Induction Systems for Engines With Side, Down, or Up Draft Carburetors
With the engine warm and running, spray Sea Foam Spray directly into the carburetor throat. Spray until the engine begins to draw down, then stop spraying and allow the engine to return to regular speed. Repeat this spray pattern 3-4 times. Finally spray Sea Foam Spray until the engine draws down and stops. Now let the engine sit and soak for at least 10 minutes to allow Sea Foam Spray to re-liquefy old fuel residue deposits that hold carbon together. Restart the engine in a well ventilated area as exhaust will be extreme for a short period of time. Sea Foam is safe to use in all engines because it will not damage neoprene, plastic, rubber or even cork gaskets.

Use Sea Foam Spray to quickly and easily clean carburetor throats, fuel jets, choke mechanisms and intake valves.

On small 2 or 4 cycle engines, spray Sea Foam Spray directly into the carburetor as the engine is running, until you hear the engine start to bog down. Stop spraying, and let the engine return to normal speed. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times. Then finish by spraying Sea Foam Spray into the carburetor until the engine actually stops. Then let it sit for 10 minutes.

Restart the engine, and let it run for a few minutes, revving it occasionally.

Close All | Open All

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Giving this info. To the original poster, I would not go out and hot rod it. Take it to a GOOD mechanic !!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
FYI

Close All | Open All
Using Sea Foam Spray to Clean a Sealed Intake System
Use Sea Foam Spray to clean carbon deposits from the intake systems, intake valves, and combustion chambers of your engine.

Use Sea Foam Spray to clean all these areas with the cleaning tube inserted into the sealed air intake system to spray Sea Foam into the engine from in front of the throttle plate. See side panel for illustration.

Warm up engine and turn off all accessories.

Shut engine off.

DO NOT use in enclosed area, make sure exhaust is well ventilated
DO NOT use a scan tool to increase RPM via the air by-pass valve
DO NOT spray Sea Foam into the mass airflow Sensor
Locate the engine throttle body and remove air intake boot. Install the Sea Foam cleaning tube by inserting the short end of the hook guide into the throttle body, positioning the tube directly in front of the throttle plate. Ideal placement of hook guide is at top center of throttle body housing (12 o’clock.) Place end of cleaning tube within ¼” of throttle plate by adjusting cleaning tube in or out of hook guide. Replace air intake boot to hold cleaning tube assembly in place.

With the vehicle in park or neutral and parking brake engaged start engine and increase idle speed 500 to 1000 RPM above factory idle specification. Increasing engine RPM is important for the following reasons:

The Sea Foam cleaner must be evenly distributed
The Sea Foam cleaner must fully atomize
The Sea Foam cleaner must pass through the throttle body, not the air by-pass
Find a method to hold engine RPM steady as this application takes approximately 5 minutes

After ½ can of Sea Foam has been used, approximately 2-3 minutes, stop spray, return engine to normal idle speed and shut off engine.

Remove cleaning tube from throttle body and reattach air inlet boot to throttle body and tighten clamp.

Let vehicle sit about 5 minutes then restart in a well ventilated area, as exhaust may be extreme for a short time. Road test, driving aggressively, to remove any remaining carbon. REPEAT SEA FOAM TREATEMENT AS NECESSARY.

Cleaning the Induction System on Vortec and Other Exotic Intake Engines
*NOTE – THIS OPERATION ONLY PERTAINS TO 1993 – 2000 4.3 LITER AND 5.7 LITER VORTEC ENGINES*

With the engine warm and turned off. Remove the air intake boot and open the throttle plate. Attach Sea Foam Spray’s 30” induction cleaning tube to the Sea Foam Spray can and feed the tube into the air intake until it reaches the plenum. The 30” induction cleaning tube has a 360 degree spray pattern so the Sea Foam Spray will distribute to all cylinders evenly. Spray for thirty seconds while slowly removing the 30” induction cleaning tube. Reconnect the air intake boot and allow at least 10 minutes for Sea Foam Spray to re-liquefy fuel varnish deposits that hold carbon together. Start the engine in a well ventilated area as exhaust will be extreme for a short period of time. Drive the vehicle aggressively for approximately four miles or until the heavy exhaust clears. Repeat this treatment process as necessary.

Sea Foam has introduced a convenient new long-reach straw for performing an engine treatment in special situations like Vortec engines and Subaru’s H style engines, where there is no single vacuum line for all cylinders. These situations require spraying of Sea Foam Spray directly into the throttle body. The long-reach straw is uniquely designed to spray 360 degrees through 4 holes in the side of the straw, to help in evenly distributing the spray to all cylinders and throughout the inside of throttle bodies.

Begin by removing the air intake boot from the throttle body

With the throttle body now exposed, it will be easy to see the built-up varnish and fuel residue on the butterfly valve.

Feed the 30” straw into the throat of the throttle body until it reaches the plenum.

Start the engine, ensuring you have very good ventilation. A large amount of white exhaust smoke will be generated for a few minutes. Drive the car aggressively for about 5 minutes to aid in expelling the varnish and gum deposits liquefied by Sea Foam Spray.

Cleaning Induction Systems for Engines With Side, Down, or Up Draft Carburetors
With the engine warm and running, spray Sea Foam Spray directly into the carburetor throat. Spray until the engine begins to draw down, then stop spraying and allow the engine to return to regular speed. Repeat this spray pattern 3-4 times. Finally spray Sea Foam Spray until the engine draws down and stops. Now let the engine sit and soak for at least 10 minutes to allow Sea Foam Spray to re-liquefy old fuel residue deposits that hold carbon together. Restart the engine in a well ventilated area as exhaust will be extreme for a short period of time. Sea Foam is safe to use in all engines because it will not damage neoprene, plastic, rubber or even cork gaskets.

Use Sea Foam Spray to quickly and easily clean carburetor throats, fuel jets, choke mechanisms and intake valves.

On small 2 or 4 cycle engines, spray Sea Foam Spray directly into the carburetor as the engine is running, until you hear the engine start to bog down. Stop spraying, and let the engine return to normal speed. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times. Then finish by spraying Sea Foam Spray into the carburetor until the engine actually stops. Then let it sit for 10 minutes.

Restart the engine, and let it run for a few minutes, revving it occasionally.

Close All | Open All

Yeah thats for gassers:confused:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts