Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i use this stuff its call sea foam auto marine fleet in my truck as a flush ? i want to do the oil change

·
Vendor
184 Posts
do you have a link?

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
????????

What i did a bunch of times was drain my oil, fill it up with fresh, start it and let it idle for ten minutes, drain it, fill it up again with fresh out then call it good.

Waste of money?? I dunno but i did that and i got 220k out of my motor with over 600hp most its life. I also used fuel additive EVERY tank of fuel.

·
Vendor
184 Posts
I found the link that the OP was talking about. It says it's safe in diesel engines. I might just look into the idea posted above about putting in a cheaper oil, running for a few minutes and then switching. If you would be interested in switching to Amsoil, let me know if I can help at all.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I didnt use cheaper oil.

I used the same oil i was switching too.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
lol and why would that be?

·
Vendor
184 Posts
lol and why would that be?
1)
Well the idea that you mentioned about cycling a synthetic fluid through there is very costly and wouldn't clean the sludge and crap out of the engine as much as something designed for that intended purpose (cleaning internals of an engine). It would help to pull out more of the stuff that was sitting in the oil pan, but not much.

2)
I think that the OP was asking about was the quality of the brand sea-foam as much as anything as he probably hasn't heard of it before. Amsoil makes good quality fluids that people stand behind on this forum as well as many other places (factory). Even if I wasn't a vendor, I would trust a brand name I've heard of as opposed to something I'd never heard of before and probably found on google or something like that.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I add seafoam to the fuel for my motorcycle, mower, atv's, and boat motor occasionally, but haven't on my truck yet. Would it be worthwhile or is diesel kleen doing the same thing? I add diesel kleen every tank.

·
Banned
4,544 Posts
seafoam is more of a solvant isnt it??? I know in gassers it works good to clean out the intake system (suck it up thru the brake booster vacuum). but if I was going to switch to Amsoil or a synthetic, I'd just grab amsoils flush as it is prolly best designed to run with a synthetic oil vs. a solvent based cleaner....But thats just me. Or you can dump in a quart of syn. ATF into oil and run it for about an hour around town and then drain and refill with new oil, I've done that before.

Your best bet on removing sludge is to drop the pan though after a cleaning. The sludge can stick to the pickup and block the screen to the oil pump....

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Good Point Mike.

The thing about the flush is that yes, it does clean out the engine, but it does NOT clean the oil pan like stated above. So once you have all of the sludge and contaminants drain down into the pan you have to deal with the fact that not ALL of it will drain through the drain hole. Dropping the oil pan after using the engine flush would be the best way to ensure removal of ALL of the contaminants. However, this would only be absolutely necessary on vehicles that have run for over 100K or more on conventional because chances are they have metal shavings in the pan already.

but, yes, if you are planning on changing to AMSOIL, then the best bet would be their Engine Flush

1 - 17 of 17 Posts