Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used it in there duramax? I know its good for a lot just don't know if its good for the duramax fuel system.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i have used it on mine and it is still alive. my problem ended up being a burnt injector wire harness so it didnt fix what i wanted.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
We use it in all out Detriot seriers 60 engines on our Fire Trucks. We also have used it in 2 newer, 03 and 05 Duramax crew cab brush trucks. No Problems thus far.

·
Rara Avis
371 Posts
SeaFoam's MSDS

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf

Motor Treatment and Trans Tune
Sea Foam Formula: Proprietary Blend Date Prepared: 1-26-2006
Emergency #: (800)535-5053 MFG. Code ID: 34066
=============================================================================
SECTION II-A HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO. COMPONENT EPC# % BY WT.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA(Isopropyl alcohol) 125 10-20%
>> NONE OF THE COMPONENTS OF THIS PRODUCT ARE RECOGNIZED AS CARCINOGENIC.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
I love the stuff for my old 2 strokes but I dont think I will be putting it in the d-max. It shouldnot have that much build up where I would need to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I Used It Twice. The First Time I Drove 220 Miles Empty @ 60 Mph And 110 Miles Pulling A Steel Two Horse Trailer @ 65 Mph. I Hoped It Would Correct My Surging Idle, But It Didn't. On The Good Side It Did Average 19.37 Mpg. The Second Time I Put It In A Tank Full Of B100 Biodiesel On A Road Trip Empty But I Only Made 20.61 Mpg. Both Trips Where On Mostly 2 Lane Highway With Several Towns To Slow Down Thru. Like I Said It Didn't Help With The Surge. I Have A Couple Of Shell Stations That I Try To Use Because I Have Found Out That My Truck Doesn't Surge With Then. With Most Diesel It Does Surge. Dealer Said It Was The Fuel Pressure Regulator, But I Didn't Have The $1150.00 They Wanted To Replace It, So I Have Lived With It For The 20,000 Miles.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I steer clear of any alcohol based additives - but then, I run homebrewed biodiesel blends and it's better on the injectors and CP3 than anything else I've tried.

Let me clarify: I don't use alcohol based additives in my diesel. For my gas burner, it's okay.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
The fuel psi reg. is fairley easy to change. Deff not 1,000+ worth.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Used it on my 2001 Ford 7.3. Worked GREAT. Know a lotta guys usin it on 7.3's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Used it in my 05 LLY, have not had any problems. I Use in all of my farm equipment.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I just used it in my DMAX and It has done very good. My mileage went up and feels like it doesn't lag as much. I just swapped my fuel filter and filled it up with Seafoam then installed it and bled the system.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I would not recommend using ANY additive with alcohol, Period. The alcohol can and will dry out your seals in your fuel system over time and defeats the purpose of lubricating the system. As for the added mileage, I would not be able to speak to that as I will not run it in my Maxes, but I will say that if you add alcohol to the combustion process you will probably see an increase in the efficiency of the fuel burn. I just would not add it through the fuel system as an additive. Injectors may not be a very big issue for non-LB7 owners, but believe me, if you run additives formulated with alcohol, they will become an issue before you expect them too. At the very least you will have added weeping of the fuel into the crank case as a result of dried out seals.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I would not recommend using ANY additive with alcohol, Period. The alcohol can and will dry out your seals in your fuel system over time and defeats the purpose of lubricating the system. As for the added mileage, I would not be able to speak to that as I will not run it in my Maxes, but I will say that if you add alcohol to the combustion process you will probably see an increase in the efficiency of the fuel burn. I just would not add it through the fuel system as an additive. Injectors may not be a very big issue for non-LB7 owners, but believe me, if you run additives formulated with alcohol, they will become an issue before you expect them too. At the very least you will have added weeping of the fuel into the crank case as a result of dried out seals.
As does GM- I was told that when I had some problems with my 03 and was told by the service manager/head tech at my local garage NOT to use anything containing ALCOHOL in the Dmax, per GM. Have some people used these products, yes. I just know that since I was told direct and have to bring my truck in for work and they know that I have been told not to use it- I want that to be out of the question.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would suggest using Howes additive. I runn it in 30 semis, 2 d-max's, 2 cummins', and a 6.5. From my experiance it helps power, fuel eco., and it helped surging in my 05 d-max. It also helps keep the injectors clean. There is regular Howes, which i use regularly, and theres a Howes Meaner Power Cleaner for more extreme conditions. The power cleaner is what stopped my surging.:gearjamin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where did you Amsoil reps get the idea that Seafoam is alcohol based? It is 100% petroleum based. Do you know something no one else knows or just like spreading rumors?:mad:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts