Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i know alot of people have talked about their seat heater problems on here but i thought i would share my situation and see if anyone knows what the heck is wrong.

they both turn on and sometimes only run like 15 sec or run for two minutes. hardly ever stay on tho. passenger side will sometime stay on for awhile when its on alone.

:help

i really wanna figure this out before the cold comes! let me know if anyone knows a solution... hoping i dont have to replace the whole heater elements, but wondering if its down to that...

thanks guys!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most likely it is the seat heater going out. Same thing happen to two of our trucks. The element is shorting out and causing it to trip the circuit breaker. I replaced mine and found it almost burned a hole through the seat when it shorted out. So try not to put it off too long. It only takes about 2 hours to do if you take your time and clean off all that crap that collects under your seat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have to pull the seat cover off and such?? or is it on the bottom? curious to how big of a deal it will be... thanks for the info tho!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mines Fing up too, wont come on. Goes in the shop monday..

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Yes, you have to remove the seat cover to replace the element. My seat bottom won't heat-- but don't really need it in So. Cal.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I had to unplug mine... The drivers side randomly turns on and off... My guess is it's haunted

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah i had unplugged one of ours that would come on by itself. Looking at your year you have a seat heater in the butt and back of the seat. You need to remove both seat covers to find out which one is shorted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
From dealer:

A CK for heated seats Not working
Cause: Poor comminucation due to connector & harness concern, chaffed & loose connection
N9651 Repaired connectors & rerouted harness to harness seat (under seat), also repaired harness under l/s of dash for open causing 6 Failure codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to the forum but had this same issue.

Problem: Passenger seat heater would work sometimes. Driver would shut off after a second or two.

Solution: The heating element in the back was burnt up and shorted out. It causes some kind of little overload or breaker to shut off causing one or both seat heaters to stop working. This seems to be a common problem and is usually the element in the seat back of the driver seat. I ordered this part number on eBay. SOE Solutions 641-106 Seat Heater Pad.

Replacement is relatively easy.
(1) You don't have to remove the seat.
(2) If you feel under the seat back at the bottom there is a long black plastic clip holding the front and back leather together. Undo it.
(3) Work the leather up so you expose the seat back. The heating element will be right there in the lower back section. Peel it off the cushion.
(4) Follow the wires down under the seat and undo two plastic clips.
(5) Stick the new element on and route the wires underneath and plug it back in.
(6) Your seat heaters should work again.

I also was able to get my motors working on my lumbar and the side flap motors on my seat working again by digging in there and unsticking the motors. I still have one motor stuck to restore full functionality of my electronic seat.

Hope this helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts