Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2006 Chevy 3500 with LBZ engine, removed EGR and already replaced up pipe due to rust, Have PPI tune and 5" straight pipe
for a few years now I have been having issues with the second batter over the passenger fender Leaking acid and rotting out the battery tray and the fender well.
changer out batteries is pairs and then this last fall I did an new alternator (OEM) and two new batteries..
just say the same issue again..
was told it might be the voltage regulator in the alternator, so I replaced..
Any Idea that is wrong?
perplexed in NJ
973-809-6062

·
Registered
150 Posts
have a 2006 Chevy 3500 with LBZ engine, removed EGR and already replaced up pipe due to rust, Have PPI tune and 5" straight pipe
for a few years now I have been having issues with the second batter over the passenger fender Leaking acid and rotting out the battery tray and the fender well.
changer out batteries is pairs and then this last fall I did an new alternator (OEM) and two new batteries..
just say the same issue again..
was told it might be the voltage regulator in the alternator, so I replaced..
Any Idea that is wrong?
perplexed in NJ
973-809-6062
You are getting water runoff from the windshield cowl draining on top of that battery, which over fills the cells and causes the acid overflow. You either need to install sealed batteries or fashion a cover that prevents the water from draining on top of that battery. Ask me how I know. ;)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Every Walmart has battery covers designed for RV/boating users. They consist of a case and a cover and a hold down strap. You can use the cover and the tie-down strap that comes with the case to attach it to the battery that gets watered. Make sure that the case you choose is big enough to cover your battery and is low enough to be mounted on your battery. https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=battery box

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, I was going to say that!!! Yep, water from the cowl. Yep, Walmart battery cover. I think you buy the whole battery box, but just use the lid. Get the bigger sized one. You probably have to cut it a little to make room and for access to the side terminals. The cover may have little vent holes which I filled with some sort of glue (Amazing Goop, probably), to make sure no water seeped in that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts