Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 lbz with 271000 on it. This past sunday coming down the highway on cruise control the truck felt like it fell out of gear and the Service 4wd System light came on and the 2wd/4wd high/4wd low light indicator was off, truck stayed in 2wd. 30 min later the service 4wd light went of and the Security light came on. The next morning drove 40 miles to work and everything was back to normal until I went on a 2 mile parts run. Went to crank truck up and it cranked up and ran for 2 seconds and cut off. Cranked up again with same result, two more tries with same results. Then I noticed that my rear power windows were not working but front windows were, also no power door locks and no power to the steering wheel controls. Had truck towed to shop, changed fuel filter, primed and tried to start. Truck cranked and ran fine for two days then it died again with the same symptoms. The very next morning truck cranked up just fine, drove another 40 miles to work and about mid morning lost power to windows, steering wheel, door locks while driving. Made it back to shop and check engine light came on for Thermostat stuck open and truck running cold (165*) from scan tool. Started checking all wires under truck, through fire wall, and under dash, also checked under front fuel panel. Found a 40 amp fuse blue in color powering stud #1 blown. I replaced fuse and tried to crank truck with no improvment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next I unhooked both batteries and disconnected main wiring harness plugs to computer. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and hooked everything back up. Tried to crank truck and it cranked and ran fine. No lights on until half way home and my door locks locked and the Security Light came back on only this time I had power to all interior stuff. I have no idea where to look now and I really don't want to take it to the dealership. Any help or ideas would be great.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Bump, this guy is my buddy, his truck has almost 300,000 on it. This one is stumpin me, help a brother out. Anybody got some ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a tip it might be my ignition switch. Will be replacing tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Sweet, we were thinkin that already bc you wore it the fuc..... out.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Damn, that's awesome. Sorry I couldn't help with the issue, but it's sick to know he has 270k miles and a tune.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
sounds like a BCM problem to me. when more than one problem like that pops up inside the truck it is more likely a module than one isolated wire or something like that. its hard to tell since i dont have the truck in front of me but it very well could be an ignition switch too. the crank, run for 2 sec. then die is probably related to the security light coming on. did you pull the codes?

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
I don't think there are any.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
If it is starting and then dying with the security light coming on there are going to be codes in something. They need to be read with a scan tool not just a generic code reader. Something from snap on, a tech2, etc. Most generic code readers wont communicate with much more than just the ecm.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
He lives 4 hrs away and only has his PPE. If he was here I would scan it with my V2.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replys. It has been scaned with a snap on scan tool twice. The second time with the check engine light on for Thermostat Open Running Cool 165 Degrees. I took it to dealership and they are looking at the ignition and the thermostats.

This has been a GREAT TRUCK! I pull my boat, Rockcrawler, two car goosenecks and 16' enclosed trailers all the time. Guess it has been sparing me a bunch of little probs to build up to one big one. Other than general service work there have been no parts replaced except my glow plugs. I'll post back up as soon as I hear from the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Good deal. I'm interested to hear what they think it is.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"As of right now our mechanic has not been able to duplicate the problem, but he definately thinks I have an electrical problem." I just heard from the service manager. This is making me want to bash my head in the wall. Anybody think that I should just tell them to put a new ignition in there? They replaced the fuel filter H2O sensor, and said that his computer showed no code for the Thermostat stuck open Code, so maybe it was a glitch. :help

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Sometimes it's hard to get problems like this to act up when they are in the shop, believe me I know. maybe try walking them through exactly what you were doing when it was acting up (accessories on, speed, etc). And I hate to say it but it might be one of those things that you will have to wait for it to completely take a shit for them to be able to diagnose it.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And I hate to say it but it might be one of those things that you will have to wait for it to completely take a shit for them to be able to diagnose it.

Sent from my DROIDX
That is just what I was thinking. Seems to me that the security light acts up at highway speeds on cruise control twice. They will have my truck over the weekend and will start back on it on Monday.

Thanks again for all the speedy replies! It really helps to be able to reach out to a wealth of knowledge like this.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
No problem man. I hope they get it figured out. If I can help at all let me know

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got the call I have been waiting on all weekend. Mechanic called and said he was driving my truck when the "Problem" started. He said that it is the BCM and while the problem was occuring he said that there was no communication between the BCM and main computer.

THANK GOD!!!! They found the problem. Now they have to find the part and apparently these BCM's are few and far between. Now we are waiting for a part and I can get my truck back and stop shaking from going through withdrawl from not having my truck.

Once again thanks for all your ideas and posts!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts