Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was having issues with the transmission going into what seemed like neutral at highway speeds, it would happen when i was just putting around, didn't seem to do it when I was getting on it, would be cruising along and it would do the neutral thing, then u let off, and it would catch again and away you would go. No clunks or bangs it did make a hissing sound, tho.

I just assumed my clutches were borked, so I got gmax-5, and yes, they were totally F**KED lol...

I just got it finshed up today and I think everything went well, and I did reset the taps, it hasn't blown up after driving around all day, so that's a good sign.

I still have the same problem tho? I searched around and best I could come up with is either transfer case or the speed sensor on the transfer case? what do you guys think?

I sure do like this Suncoast kit tho... jeez what a difference, shoulda did this a long time ago.

·
Time For A Engine Build!!
185 Posts
did you put a new torque converter in or are you running a stock one?
Sorry didn't look at your sig:booboo
It kinda sounds like when I installed my transgo and I didn't install the little cups in the C2, but if it was happening before than:confused:sorry I guess I'm no help...

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, it went in with the gmax kit, brand new.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you put a new torque converter in or are you running a stock one?
Sorry didn't look at your sig:booboo
It kinda sounds like when I installed my transgo and I didn't install the little cups in the C2, but if it was happening before than:confused:sorry I guess I'm no help...
that woulda sucked to forget them... getting to that c2 hub was kinda a challenge

·
185 Posts
Yeah tell me about it, I already had the trans installed and took it for a test drive, had to tear it back out and pull the C2 got pretty quick at it though havent had a problem in 20,000 miles.:rockin

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah tell me about it, I already had the trans installed and took it for a test drive, had to tear it back out and pull the C2 got pretty quick at it though havent had a problem in 20,000 miles.:rockin
Good to hear, I'm hoping for no troubles for atleast that long to, altho, it was kinda enjoyable, since this was my first tranny I ever touched, learned lots. Have new respect for guys like Mike L that do it every day and can get it done in a day... crazy

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it did it again today, I didn't let off this time and it threw me some codes

P0735
P0700

That coupled with ABS codes and a post by IdahoRob leads me to speed sensors, Everything is brand new in tranny, so I'll start there. Maybe the t-case itself is hooped, we shall see.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I'll just follow up incase anyone has same issues and is googling, only to find a thread that is the same and no out come lol, i hate that.

Did speed sensors last nite, didn't help, but noticed there is a lot of play in the transfer case, so that is next thing to try.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mine does the same thing. If I am cruising on the highway (no tuner at all) and just ease into the gas lightly it will rev up and go nowhere. It only does it if I am light on the gas but it is very annoying. I have seen posts before about it but I havent seen an answer yet. Let me know if you solve it.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine does the same thing. If I am cruising on the highway (no tuner at all) and just ease into the gas lightly it will rev up and go nowhere. It only does it if I am light on the gas but it is very annoying. I have seen posts before about it but I havent seen an answer yet. Let me know if you solve it.

Will do, I pushed up on my drive shaft at the back of the transfer case, and there is a lot of play, so it would make sense with the sensor right above that it would be screwing things up, I don't think I'm working tomorrow, so I'm headed up to my parts truck and tearing out the transfer case and putting it in, I'll let you know of the outcome.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this is solved now, it was my transfer case being the PITA. Put the other transfer case in and hit every hole I could find to bounce it around, was easy on it and hard, nothing made it jump out again...

Silverking, did you check to see if you had any play on the output shaft on the back of the t-case?

Only took me 3 hours to pull both transfer cases, swap the 4 wheel drive actuator because wiring was diff, and put it back together... not to shabby

·
185 Posts
Glad to see that you got it figured out bud Congrats!!:drink

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
469 Posts
I havent yet, but I will now. I'll let you know. Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did you need to replace the transfer case or was something just loose?

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the whole t-case, I had another one. I imagine there is a bearing that is replaceable inside.

Did u try yours?

·
Registered
12 Posts
thank you,

I am having the same issue, and I hate spending a bunch of money trying to find the problem, the mechanic i deal with sent me to the transmission shop, the transmission shop sent me to the 4x4 shop, who confirmed my original diagnosis, the transfer case was shifting to neutral.

Scary when your 500 miles from home pulling the 5th wheel. New transfer case on way.

If I liked that truck less I could stop spending money on it.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear ya on that one, throwing money at it sucks, if you need a transfer case it's cheaper to get one from the states, my local dealer wanted almost 4 grand.

Merchant Automotive :: Duramax and Allison Experts

and they will ship to canada, already asked them about that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear ya on that one, throwing money at it sucks, if you need a transfer case it's cheaper to get one from the states, my local dealer wanted almost 4 grand.

Merchant Automotive :: Duramax and Allison Experts

and they will ship to canada, already asked them about that.
Took it to Sportsman 4x4 here in Kamloops they quoted me $1650 for OEM with 3 year warranty, will see what the final outcome is, by the way I was on my way home from Edmonton and the first time it did it I was just coming into Edson, Sept 20th

I learned alot about t/cases because of this problem, still not worth about $2,000, there are less expensive ways to learn.

Will post when the truck is fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Transfer case replaced

Transfer case, new OEM, 3yr parts and labour from GM $1,693.73
labour, 288.30, Shop Supplies 28.83, tax 241.30 total 2,252.16.

Drives like a different truck, it actually shifts up and down gears when and how it should, the clunk when I stopped and started up at a light is gone, I'm poorer but happy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts