Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know. Search, read, sticky, blah blah. I did all that. :thumb

Long story short, EFI live is not in my price range, and I will likely be buying a basic canned unit until I have lots of extra money and the truck is paid off.

The problem is, I am having a hard time deciding. I've heard good and bad things about ALL of them; what I really want though is a SAFE tune I can use on my stock truck to bump up the economy just a tisch, and potentially disable things like my EGR and cat.

What tuner will do that for me? I really want to retain defuel on shifts to save my Ally. She's got 162k miles on her and she needs to be healthy and happy for as long as possible.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
As far as canned units go, PPE's stuff is the best. With that being said, you realize that you don't have to buy a v2 dsp5 setup when it comes to EFI live right?

For the same price (if not less) than a canned tuner you can easily afford a pre tuned ecm with dsp2 if you are on a budget. And it will be a far more advanced tune that will be hands down more efficient for your rig. That is the route i would follow if you are in a pinch. Cause you obviously have enough funds for a canned unit, so why not get the best of the best for the price? just my 0.02

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yup

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as canned units go, PPE's stuff is the best. With that being said, you realize that you don't have to buy a v2 dsp5 setup when it comes to EFI live right?

For the same price (if not less) than a canned tuner you can easily afford a pre tuned ecm with dsp2 if you are on a budget. And it will be a far more advanced tune that will be hands down more efficient for your rig. That is the route i would follow if you are in a pinch. Cause you obviously have enough funds for a canned unit, so why not get the best of the best for the price? just my 0.02
What's the cost on something like this? I was under the impression that EFI live! tuning was almost always going to be at least $800-1000 bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
What's the cost on something like this? I was under the impression that EFI live! tuning was almost always going to be at least $800-1000 bucks.
this price would include the v2, which you dont have to buy to get some efi tuning

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Agreed, give dustin a call @ ATP, and he will be able to discuss the exact price with shipping and all.. but trust me, it is no more than a canned unit will be :thumb

208-685-1000

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, give dustin a call @ ATP, and he will be able to discuss the exact price with shipping and all.. but trust me, it is no more than a canned unit will be :thumb

208-685-1000
This is very good to know. I was under the impression that I had to buy a V2. :eek: I learn something new every day. :drink

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
That seems to be a common misconception about EFI live that I would love to be able to get people past (not you, just in general lol) Dustin with ATP works with Idaho Rob if you weren't aware, I forgot to mention that earlier. Those guys are truly among the best in the industry and their customer service is bar none.

there are three different options when it comes to EFI live setups.
1) pre tuned ecm with dsp2 or dsp5. (the only downside is you have a little downtime involved.. you can usually overnight them your ecm and they overnight one back to you, usually, like i said you should call to get exact details)

2) loaner v2 setup where you pay a deposit and get a v2, see if you like it when you load your tunes and then can either keep it or ship it back (dsp2 or dsp5 again)

3) the v2 setup with either dsp2 or dsp5 that you get to keep to log data, read codes and load your tunes forever

hope this helps man! I hate seeing people buy canned tuners because they think they have to and then regret it almost instantly and wish they would have just gone efi live from the get go... I see it all the time.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Loaner v2 or pre-tuned ECM is cheaper then almost any canned tuner I've seen.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was lucky enough to borrow a v2 and got a lisance, tunes, and a dsp5 from rob for $400. You can't beat that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts