Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got a hold of a guy who purchases old CATs and DPFs. I know a few guys have found companies to buy that old thing laying in the garage and collecting dust. My question is, has anyone had experience doing this? And if so, whats a fair price? I dont want to get taken to the cleaners...I was qouted 175.00 for CAT and DPF.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would look else where. You can OEM ones for about $1200 for the cat and the DPF is even more than that. Guy told me when I was deleting mine he got $1100 for the whole exhaust system that he sold on eBay.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Yeah I sold both CAT & DPF for around 200-300$. Problem is both are worth more then that. So the only way to get what its "worth" is sell it on CL or ebay. Id list both for 600-800$.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i got 3 bills for mine last summer in houston.. dpf and cat..

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
So, the people buying them are more using them as replacement parts, not so much for scrap metal?
Most are. The insides of a CAT & DPF are worth something. A good amount of change. Problem is finding a scrap yard or people willing to pay for it or close to what its worth.

A few websites that "Buy CATs & DPFs" cant be trusted. They have a going rate of what they say its worth. Yet you have to ship them your CAT & or DPF. Then they mail you the money. Yeah... right. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great! Thanks guys! For the ones that separate the two and sell the dpf, did you cut the extra exhaust pipe off after the DPF? Or did you ship it all as is off the truck?

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
I cut off the extra exhaust pipe off each.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got $300 for stock LMM exhaust from a scrap dealer who responded to my CL add. He drives up and down the west coast buying cats, dpfs, and scrap steel to recycle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I cut off the extra pipe. It weights so much that any extra length will drastically increase the shipping cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.