Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 2500 HD with 240k miles that apparently has bad head gaskets. It's in the shop now and I was told that I couldn't know for sure what all is wrong until they tore it down. My coolant is leaking into my oil and blowing out the exhaust at a rapid pace, so I believe it when they say it's a head gasket. Problem is once they tear it down there could be warped heads, bad injectors, etc... I have been told it will cost anywhere from $6k-8k for the repairs. I'm at a point that I'm not sure it is worth repairs, or if I should sell it as is. If I was mechanically inclined and could tackle the project myself that is one thing, but having to pay for all the labor is killer. The truck has cloth seats, new wheels and tires, speed liner all over, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, and an Edge w/ Juice.

There seems to be plenty of people on this forum that are much more knowlegable that I am and I would appreciate any feedback. Is it worth the money I was quoted to repair, if not what could I expect to sell it for as is?

Thanks,
Brandon

Attachments

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Where are you located? How long have you had issues with it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you located? How long have you had issues with it?
I live just South of Houston in Pearland. I noticed the coolant loss a week or so ago and tried to diagnose it, but after looking everywhere for a leak I went to the internet for advice. Once I checked the oil I could tell it was a very milky grey, so the coolant was going straight into the oil, and I could tell that my exhaust pipe had water in it.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
I can't imagine you would have done any damage but I do understand where the shop is coming form when they say you don't know until you dig into it. I don't know any shops down that way sorry I couldn't help.

Was it a dealer you brought it too or a diesel shop?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't imagine you would have done any damage but I do understand where the shop is coming form when they say you don't know until you dig into it. I don't know any shops down that way sorry I couldn't help.

Was it a dealer you brought it too or a diesel shop?
It's a dealer that I heard good reviews about. I'm sure I could get a little better price if I found a good privately owned diesel shop around here.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Hopefully we'll have a few guys from the TX area chime in that maybe able to get you hooked up with a good diesel shop down there. Post in the Regional section as well that your looking for a good diesel shop in TX.

I would consider buying it as well if you sell it ha ha nothing like a spare everything laying around. Maybe even swap my motor in and calling it a day.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ill come and get it for 2750 $ .

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'll give ya 3k.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Go to Relentless diesel in Willis Texas .......i have heard good things about them. If you dont like them i know some good guys in Louisiana too.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would fix it before selling i just dont see you getting hardly anything for it without it being fixed first. sorry dont know of any shops.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
kervin you're just rakin cash out lol, to the o/p check out what it is first, if you're gonna sell it maybe look into parting it out?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ebay that thing! you can find used motors for around 5k. I would do that if it was my truck, but i also have a love affair with it too.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I would fix it before selling i just dont see you getting hardly anything for it without it being fixed first. sorry dont know of any shops.
yeah, i agree since it has a quarter million miles on it....but if you decide to sell it i would like to turn it into a puller. it would look good on a trailer being pulled by a gold duramax:drink

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would fix it...I know of some decent places up north but nothing really down south, good luck with it

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
PM c.jenkins, he might know of a shop near Houston.

Did it overheat? How hot?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after checking into various options it looks like an engine swap may be my best bet. The labor charges for replacing the gaskets are unreal, especially considering my truck has 240k miles on it. I have found a motor with 110k miles that for $3,800 and have someone that will do the swap for $500. Does anyone think a swap is a bad idea? I'm open to any and all options right now. If I go for the swap what else should I have them replace while the engine in out? I was thinking water pump, thermostat, but am not sure what else I should look into.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
motor swap is a good call. do a pump rub kit in the transfer case if you haven't already

1 - 20 of 28 Posts