Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going through those "station type" car washes with the power washers and foam brushes and such and I'm not satisfied with them. I've got nothing to do most Sundays so I want to go out and get some car (DURAMAX) care products so I can get a good clean on my baby lmao. Btw I've only been driving (legally) for three years and have always used the washes for convenience. So if you guys could list out what you use for: Exterior, Waxes, Towels, Interior, Leather cleaner, etc... And is there a good product to get the smokey smell out of the cab (Thanks to the previous owner). Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
My truck is 10 years old and to my knowledge, has never been through a car wash. Worst thing you could do to the finish. I would rather let my truck stay dirty until I can wash it myself than take it thru a carwash with the recycled gritty water but that's just me... I like the clay bar, you can get most of the scratches out from the car wash. I used to work in a collision shop and we would detail a lot of cars with car wash rash and we used D/A polishers and polishing compound, if you know how to use one it's a lot quicker. I use Meguire's products but they're all pretty good these days. Lexol or Zymol both good for leather. I use a jelly blade to squeegie off most of the water before it spots with hard water spots when I wash it and dry with regular towels (don't use dryer sheets or fabric softeners when washing towels). Take the ashtrays out and clean 'em good and put some Little Trees under the seats, or find the guy that goes to the used car lots with the odor bombs they set off to get rid of the smoke.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What Meguire products do you use exactly? And how about for the dash, doors, and other interior plastics?

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
The smoke odor will show up strong on the first hot/humid day no matter what. Full on interior shampoo is really the only option to permanently remove most of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Begin by washing vehicle. Secondly as mentioned before use clay to remove any contaminates from clear coat. I use Pro products for detailing. Order yourself up some Pro Gold. This product is three steps in one, amazing. It cleans, polishes and waxes all in one step.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are lots of places to buy great products. I would highly recommend what Duratys said in his post. Join a forum like this one, and start reading! Adams Forums or Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum are both forums that I visit often. Specifically to his point, do not buy anything until you read lots of information.

There are so many new products out there that make detailing lots easier than ever before.

Those automatic car washes are one of the worst things on trucks and cars! I use the coin-op on occasion in the winter to get the really bad salt and sand off my truck before I hand wash. I have not been through an automatic car wash in over 15 years. Touchless are ok but the results are not great. Anyway...read and have fun!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.