Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t remember where I read it, but saw somewhere about cleaning a sensor around every oil change. Was it a MAP sensor? Does anyone here do this, and if so, where is it located? Somewhere on the manifold I’d guess, but since I’ve not done one, any help, advise or links would be appreciated. Have you noticed any performance changes from cleaning or not cleaning it? Thanks fellas.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Most likely it is the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor, located between the air filter and turbo. Usually doesn't need much attention unless you are running an aftermarket oiled ail filter. Use only MAF cleaner if you decide to clean it!

·
Registered
706 Posts
The MAP sensor is on top of the charge air pipe going into the intake.
They get plugged up with soot and I've seen them freeze up also.
There are aftermarket spacer kits available to help prevent this

Reactions: Climber4

·
Registered
706 Posts
YouTube videos on this if you want to see.

Reactions: Climber4

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked a couple YouTube videos, looks pretty simple. Thanks.

I guess the soot comes from EGR...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Would highly recommend this. I put one on mine a few months ago...one less thing to putz with every oil change. It will eliminate any concerns of soot build-up on the MAP sensor. Pretty ingenious and simple piece of engineering frankly.

SB Spacer

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Neither the MAP nor the MAF should be cleaned as a part of normal routine maintenance. They almost always last a ong time. My 2008 has had the MAF cleaned 1 time in 157K miles and the MAP never. If you have problems with either of these, you will likely have a check engine light to let you know that's there's a problem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Neither the MAP nor the MAF should be cleaned as a part of normal routine maintenance. They almost always last a ong time. My 2008 has had the MAF cleaned 1 time in 157K miles and the MAP never. If you have problems with either of these, you will likely have a check engine light to let you know that's there's a problem.
Agree on the MAF sensor.

The LML and LMM’s never had the problem with soot build up on the MAP sensor that the L5P’s have based on their sensor location. Just because you don’t have a code doesn’t mean that the immense buildup isn’t altering the fuel the truck would be getting based on an otherwise clean sensor.

Frankly, it’s an easy fix if it bothers you and if it doesn’t don’t worry about it. It’s really the only gripe/nit on the L5P, which is an otherwise significant improvement over the LML I had.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Would highly recommend this. I put one on mine a few months ago...one less thing to putz with every oil change.

SB Spacer
I had never heard about this but I think I would install one of these at the first notice of a problem. My LMM's EGR is turned off in the tuning so no MAP sensor performance degrading.

·
Super Moderator
869 Posts
Ron, respectfully, but the L5P is a different beast. The MAP gets a lot dirtier. It is definitely something to keep an eye on. I cleaned mine and installed the S&B spacer to help keep it cleaner. Do a search on youtube for L5P MAP, heck even this forum, some trucks you can't even see the element anymore.
As for the MAF, I haven't read anything for the L5P having issues with it getting dirty.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
431 Posts
Per discussion I removed and cleaned TMAP sensor. It was totally fouled at first clean around 50k miles.

Now at 52222 miles, fresh T6 15-40w, a little coating.. dry soot. Dark black. 90% was Highway speed (60-75 mostly) for several hours.

It is interesting that at the same time, truck started using oil… surely cleaning the TMAP wouldn’t cause this…

Anyway…hope this helps defining your own engine’s maintenance needs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts