Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Been there "done that"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Im looking to replace my serp belt. Im thinking i dont want the run of the mill "napa" type belt.
Does anyone know of a heavy duty serp belt?. possibly a part #.. i have heard of "gator belts" but i could be wrong.

Thanks In Advance
Keith

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use a gator back belt on mine made by goodyear. I ordered it from Summit racing with a bunch of other stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I carry them and have installed it on my truck over the summer when I had to change my alternator. Let me know if I can get you pricing.
good deal! do you have a website or where do you list what parts you sell and the prices?

·
Been there "done that"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Willie ..shoot me a PM with the price... Gatorback belt 2007 2500 classic...

Thanks
Keith

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You should also change the idler pulleys-- they will die before the belt--

If a idler bearing fails, it will destroy the belt, and you will have no power brakes, and no power steering. You can still steer and operate the brakes, but only with a great deal of muscles.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

If a idler bearing fails, it will destroy the belt, and you will have no power brakes, and no power steering. You can still steer and operate the brakes, but only with a great deal of muscles.
I can't agree with this more!! I had the pleasure of maneuvering my land yacht throughout a tight roundabout in the above stated condition :rolleyes:

·
Been there "done that"
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
belt

I only have 40k on the truck ... the idler/tensioner pulley should be replaced ?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have heard of them going out in as little as 40,000. Mine went at 110,000

·
Vendor
10,961 Posts
Goodyear Surpentine Belt for 2006 - 2010 GM 2500 with Duramax

The belts for the older trucks get trickier. My listing has two to three options based on size of alternator and whether or not they have a vac pump on them.

What vac pump?????

I also have the pulley's but don't have them loaded yet. If you are interested in a package deal, PM me and I will see what I can put together..

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The belt is designed to go 200k-- Like I said- the idlers are the problem.

I carry an extra belt and idler pulleys-- "just in Case". Maybe that is what you should do, instead of replacing the belt.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The belt is designed to go 200k-- Like I said- the idlers are the problem.

I carry an extra belt and idler pulleys-- "just in Case". Maybe that is what you should do, instead of replacing the belt.
Agreed if you have the bills always have a spare belt and pulleys. I lucked out when my pulley went out the belt was fine so i limped it home from the boonies. It is for sure not a fun drive with no power nothing going down a grade and around switchbacks. My arms were pretty worn out when i got home and took almost double the time.:help

·
Registered
794 Posts
My dads LBZ had a clicking under the hood today, turned out to be the alternator bearing. I wound up changing smooth idlers, tensioner idler, alternator and belt, Oh, and RH front hub, everything was original on it 06' 139K. Man LBZ's fan sucks to work around compared to my LLY.

·
Banned
1,914 Posts

X4256354, and for god's sake, get something that has bearings NOT made in China. I REPEAT, BRAND NAME IDLER OR WE GET TO LAUGH WHEN THE NEW PULLEY GRENADES QUICKER THAN THE USED ONE WOULD HAVE.
Oh, and JC,
You missed Fan and Radiator Eeeke Friends 05 lost a pulley, shredded belt, and took half of 3 blades off the fan. The whole mess bunched up an inch behind the Radiator, man that coulda sucked even more nutz.

My dads LBZ had a clicking under the hood today, turned out to be the alternator bearing. I wound up changing smooth idlers, tensioner idler, alternator and belt, Oh, and RH front hub, everything was original on it 06' 139K. Man LBZ's fan sucks to work around compared to my LLY.
Yea, but after said above incident, I'm damn glad my LBZ has that protection between it and the belt.:thumb

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
can pulleys go out in like 10k? just replaced all these no i have like a rattle coming from one i believe
GM or a brand with "Made In China/Taiwan" on the box. If #2, I'd personally get them outta there NOW. I'm not above teasing a site sponsor :D

J/K

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts