Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I have question. I just looked on some autoparts sites to check on a new belt and saw that there are about 6 different belts. I assume that VP must be a smog pump which I don't see underhood but, how do I know which size alternator I have. Looking at a Gatorback.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you read the numbers off of your original belt? Those numbers will include the number of grooves and the total length in cm.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
108k. I can't read anything on it. I was kind of hoping to buy the belt and then change it. I guess I'll have to take it with me to compare. Nothin makes me madder than tearing stuff apart only to find that I have been sold the wrong part.

·
Registered
576 Posts
ASSUMING the alternator is original, it will be one of your RPO's in the glove box, you may be able to google the RPO's, if not PM me a list of them and I'll look them up for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
108k. I can't read anything on it. I was kind of hoping to buy the belt and then change it. I guess I'll have to take it with me to compare. Nothin makes me madder than tearing stuff apart only to find that I have been sold the wrong part.
You have to do this anyways [remove it] ... so it's probably the safest and easiest way of assuring you get the right belt. Should be readily available at any of the major auto parts stores.

When I got my replacement belt, I rolled my old one up ... put it in the cardboard sleeve/package that came with my new belt and threw it behind the back seat as an emergency spare ... just in case!

·
Registered
576 Posts
When I got my replacement belt, I rolled my old one up ... put it in the cardboard sleeve/package that came with my new belt and threw it behind the back seat as an emergency spare ... just in case!
snap.. just did the same thing last weekend, always have a spare, but not a new one incase its the wrong size when you are in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Most likely you have a 105amp alternator, and you said it has no emissions. P/N 5061178 dayco belt will fit unless you have the larger alternator. Just take in your old belt and hold it upto the new belt to check the length. You will be able to tell the difference, the other one is something like 10 inches longer, loop.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dual alternators was an option on our trucks. That would explain the different length belts.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As luck would have it, every time I shut the truck off, the part numbers were down under the harmonic. They were visible when I took the belt off. Just cross ref. with the new belt and I'm on my way. Thanks again guys. Nice to have so much knowledge at your fingertips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts