Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone, I have a 2020 Sierra 2500 Duramax Denali, 27,000 miles. The DIC is showing the following two messages, (Service Emission's System, 175 mi Until 65 MPH Max Speed).

The dealer picked it up and gave me a loaner vehicle. They called and said the DEF tank needs to be replaced, warranty will cover everything. The bad news is the parts are on back order and they think it will be around 2 months, in the interim the truck is inoperable.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? This is a business vehicle and we use it to plow snow, etc. I am considering selling it off and going with a gas truck for the simple fact of reliability, please note I absolutely love the diesel but the down time won't work in our business. Also it's not really clear yet if the new parts are just replacement or updated parts fixing a GM know problem, so my fear is will this happen again?

Please let me know if you have any advice or experience.

Thanks,

Update: 2/25/2022. Tuck at GM Dealership.

Update: 3/15/2022. Talked to GM Dealer (dealer has been very nice). Parts are not yet available, on back order. Dealer said the truck has 3 problems.

1.00 Def Tank Heater Wires burnt off. Re programed truck to put less voltage through the wires.
2.00 Emissions Re programmed (uncertain as to the actual details of what they did).
3.00 Def tank being replaced. (parts not available on back order).

Today I called GM customer service/care at 1-800-462-8782, was assigned a case number, we will see what happens next.

Update: 3/17/2022. Never received a call back from GM Customer Care. I am very disappointed. $75,000 Spent on truck, no idea when it will be fixed. At this point I am considering switching brands, if they won't take care of their customers my only recourse is to vote with my dollars.

Update: 3/18/2022. I called GM Customer Care today. They have no idea when the parts will be available. They offered zero compensation. GM HAS NOT YET RELEASED A EXTENDED WARRANTY ON THIS KNOW DEFECT. Was told by the GM dealer the GM has been delaying the shipment of new trucks because they are pulling parts off the line to try to take care of warranty customers. GM dealer also believes that GM will be forced by the government to issue a warranty extension to cover this defect, but the problem is too new so that hasn't happened yet.

Update: 3/22/2022. Was told by GM Customer Service that back ordered DEF tanks are currently in quality testing and and will be shipping out to dealerships the week of 3/28/2022. GM stated that this batch of DEF tanks should take care of all back orders.

Update: 3/28/2022.
Waiting on NATIONAL BACK ORDER, PART # 85138746. Check out this discussion: NATIONAL BACK ORDER PART # 85138746

Update: 3/29/2022. Was told by GM Customer Service that all parts have been shipped out to dealer and that dealer should have the parts by this Friday 4/1/2022.

Update: 4/4/2022. Parts finally showed up at dealership.

Update: 4/6/2022.
Tuck is now fixed.

Update: 8/2/2022. Check Engine light just came on, dealer is coming to pick it up. Light went off before dealer picked it up, canceled appointment.

Update: 9/18/2022. Check Engine light just came on, dealer is coming to pick it up. OD: 39,000 miles.

· Registered
271 Posts
Very common with all this new shit sorry for your problems 👍🇺🇸🍻

· Registered
604 Posts
Just had that same thing happen on my 2018 on my way from Ohio to Wyoming last month for a snowmobile trip. Thank goodness I was close to a dealer in South Dakota and they were able to get me back on the road. My air intake temperature sensor was all sooty and the plastic cage tip thing had broken off, along with a glow plug were found to be issues giving codes.

· Registered
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
700 Posts
Just had that same thing happen on my 2018 on my way from Ohio to Wyoming last month for a snowmobile trip. Thank goodness I was close to a dealer in South Dakota and they were able to get me back on the road. My air intake temperature sensor was all sooty and the plastic cage tip thing had broken off, along with a glow plug were found to be issues giving codes.
Sounds like your TMAP was the cause. I would read up here in this thread as it has details on what I think was wrong with your truck.

· Registered
2 Posts
Same boat as you. 32k miles 2021 Truck has been in shop since 2-16-22 waiting on Def tank. Called Chevy 3 weeks ago. They have called me every few days but after 2 weeks of promising me that parts people would follow up they finally did today. Lady said she would call dealership and get part number so they could try to expedite parts. Im wondering what the hell have they been doing for past few weeks then?
930 per month payment for a work truck I can't use! This was one of my reasons for buying a new truck so I would not have to worry about reliability when I needed it.

· Administrator
2,322 Posts
It's a known issue going back 2 years...

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a known issue going back 2 years...

Thank you, I was referring to the lead time.

· Administrator
2,322 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I have 2020 GMC 2500 Denali 148 K miles on it - I love the truck but .
Driving down the road 70 Mile and Hour -
1. Service Park Brake then
2. reduce speed 175 mile - the countdown began
Took to GMC Dealer ship - this second time it happened
First time they say - #4 injector is burnt up causing the Service Parking brake and - reduce speed.
They change Injector now it has been several months and did it again.
They say #5 injector is fired at the bottom.
Is anybody having the problems is there a fix?

· Registered
1,411 Posts
Need the codes. In general replace the injector connectors before injectors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts