Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few days ago, my Service Exhaust Fluid System message came on and not long after CEL with P20b9 code (Reduction heater a cap or somewhere along those lines). Cleared the code and drove with just the Service EFS message on with hope it might just clear itself. Scheduled an appointment after a few days of driving and on the way to the dealership the message came up stating upon next restart limited to 55mph. Service department runs test and installs a Reservoir Kit($212.65) in the def tank and tests and clears all codes. Part&Labor= $451.36. Im happy, I pay and Im on my way thinking simple fix, not 10 miles down the road the Service Exhaust fluid system messages is back on. I would have turned around and went right back but had somewhere I needed to be. Will be returning soon to see what service department has to say. Any ideas, thoughts, comments would be helpful and nice to read. TIA

2011 LML Silverado 2500hd
119,627 miles on her

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does not help im working out of town over 500 miles away or i would just take the 55mph all the way back and delete. Have to get fixed to even get home. Oh the joys

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hey buddy you joined the club but you got charged the admission fee.

Same thing with my truck too (P209B) only mine was covered under the club membership warranty. It was the heater in the DEF tank so the dealer replaced the complete tank assembly. Probably cheaper than dismantling and servicing individual parts would be my guess or else they said screw it stick it to GM. Probably the latter reason.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2...t-all-who-had-problems-def-emissions-116.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
luckily back at 56k i got def issues covered as a freebie. But now at 119k not so lucky. All from what I have read prior to going in today, I was prepared on having to get the whole new tank system as most have. Mightve been better off paying more for that instead of them doing just a reservoir kit and it being no luck. Unless i can get lucky driving around and it clears itself

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update on issue. Went back to dealer out here in Oklahoma and now the def pump had to be replaced. Quoted me wrong price on pump so in the end he gave me the cheaper price he once stated and didnt charge labor fees. Made it back the 30+/- miles back to where I'm workin out of and all seems well. If it all works out I guess I do not have much to complain about.

·
Registered
77 Posts
thats the reason so many people tune these trucks, to get rid of that crap. Tune it and you will be happy. Chances are you will make a few more trips to the dealer over some other emission related junk.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
thats the reason so many people tune these trucks, to get rid of that crap. Tune it and you will be happy. Chances are you will make a few more trips to the dealer over some other emission related junk.
What do you do if you have to pass emissions? Some of us have to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't have that problem where I live. My state just did away with inspections even ha. I didn't think about that tho. Well your next best bet is to buy a pre emission truck or at least pre def ha

·
Registered
6 Posts
DEF Duramax nightmare

Truck of my dreams became a nightmare! I custom ordered a $64,000 2011 Chevy 3500 HD crew cab LTZ loaded with a Duramax. When I ordered it in December of 2010 there was no mention of a DEF system-none at all. Had I been informed of the DEF being included, I would have gone to another brand. The “build your Chevy” website and dealer brochures at the time of my order did not mention that this would be on my truck-false advertisement/non-disclosure. When the truck arrived at the dealer it had a DEF system (new in the 2011). They already had my money and I thought that the good people/engineers at Chevy would have made sure that DEF was a proven system- BOY WAS I WRONG! I understand DEF is a EPA mandated system, but that does not let Chevy engineers of the hook for making a DEF system that has made the Duramax totally UNRELIABLE!

The DEF system has ruined several family vacations and made my Duramax truck UNRELIABLE for any trip longer than 100 miles from home. Why 100 miles you ask?
I will give you quotes directly from the Chevy link on DEF in the Duramax (see link).

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/SilveradoHD_DEF.pdf

Since my Duramax was less than 6 months old it began to have problems. First with dash warnings of “Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor See Owners Manual Now”. This occurred with the DEF tank 3/4 full with new factory Chevy DEF. The Chevy mechanics at the time didn't really understand the whole DEF system and had my truck for more than a week. They accused me of putting bad DEF in the tank when I hadn't even added any DEF yet (the DEF tank does not have a level guage—you must rely on the computer to give you dash warnings when the DEF is low). The local Chevy dealer then borrowed a DEF testing device from another local dealer to confirm that the DEF was actually OK. Then they replaced the DEF tank, tank sensors, NOX sensors, and forced the truck to go into regeneration mode to burn the soot out of the exhaust filter. The whole repair proved to be very temporary. I have had the “Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor” signal come on multiple times and have had the truck in for repair. Same similar repairs were done and the fault codes were cleared by the Chevy service department multiple times. It has ruined two vacations when the kids were on summer break and we loaded up the travel trailer. As we were driving out of town to go on an extended summer vacation the “Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor See Owners Manual Now” warning appeared on the dash. I did what the owners manual suggested and put 3 gallons of the recommended DEF “Only GM-approved DEF, or DEF fluid containing the API certified or ISO 22241 label, should be used.”. I continued to drive for 150 miles in hope the ““Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor See Owners Manual Now” warning would clear it self. I even turned the truck on and off several times at rest areas. It did not clear. And guess what happens when that warning wont clear?? This is per the owners manual (I couldn't make this up).

“To meet federal and state requirements, the electronic onboard warning system is designed to automatically monitor DEF quality. If poor-quality fluid is detected, the system will alert the driver. If poor-quality fluid is not replaced within 200 miles, the vehicle speed will be limited to 55 mph at the next vehicle start. If the system’s warnings continue to be ignored, vehicle speed will ultimately be limited to 4 mph in accordance with federal and state requirements.”

So guess what I did. I turned around and went home and parked my new $35,000 travel trailer and $64,000 Duramax truck and we ended up flying, renting a car, and hotel to enjoy a family reunion with our family. That was last year story too. Right now 5-19-2015 my truck is in the garage going through the same routine at 38,000 miles. My Chevy zero $ deductible extended warranty that I purchased from Chevy, when I bought the truck, doesn't cover the exhaust? Haven't gotten the full story on the repair yet. I am confident that they will replace a Nox sensor and run it through a REGEN cycle, clear the codes and I will be on my way for a week or a month. Who is to know when the DEF system designed by chevy engineers will ruin my next trip? I cant bring my camper back- I will have to sell it at a huge loss. I cannot risk my family being stuck away from home more than 100 miles because round trip of 200 miles could put me at 55 mph and upon engine restart limited to 4 mph. Can you imagine being on an interstate going 55 mph or 4 mph with your family and a 30 foot travel trailer. I wonder how many people have been killed by that safety feature of limiting your speed to 55 mph and 4 mph. Its against the law to go too slow! I honestly am scared to drive this vehicle and am writing to warn others to look at other alternatives. Do a web search “Duramax DEF” and you will find hundreds of complaints.

I will also add that the so called regeneration cycle that the truck goes through on its own to clear the exhaust is not something you can make happen or program on your own. The truck will NOT give you ANY notice it is happening or it needs to happen. When one of the many sensors like the NOX sensor detects the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) (that captures soot) is clogged, it will cause the truck to burn extra fuel for 30-45 minutes to get the exhaust to an extreme temp to burn the soot out. Makes sense right ? Well you cannot manually put the truck into REGEN mode nor will the truck tell you ( no alert or warning) that it is going into REGEN mode or that a REGEN is needed. So say your on your way to work and without your control and unknown to you your truck goes REGEN mode and you only live 15 minutes down the road…it wont burn the soot out. You head back home and the REGEN mode starts again by putting more diesel into the exhaust…it could never get hot enough to burn the soot out…bad system. If I knew that it needed to be run for 30-45 minutes I could at least take it out on a highway trip and clean it out, but the Chevy engineers didn't think that one through either. Lastly, another quote from the Chevy DEF instruction manual:

“DEF shelf life is typically at least one year, depending on the storage temperature. It is best stored out of direct sunlight between 12oF and 86oF.” A full tank of DEF provides a driving range of about 5,000 miles (8,000 kilometers).”

The DEF is held in a 5.3 gallon tank under the hood in an uninsulated container. Do you think that the DEF stays under the recommended 86 degrees F ? Under the hood next to the engine 86 degrees F in Florida? The New 2015 Duramax trucks have the DEF under the passenger floor (you can see the big black tank for the DEF hanging there away from the engine heat.
The whole DEF system is flawed and you will only get a temporary bandaid repair at the dealership. The DURAMAX is UNRELIABLE. IN MY OPINION IT IS ALSO UNSAFE AT THE REDUCED SPEED OF 55 MPH THEN 4 MPH. IT MAY BE A GOVERNMENT MANDATE, BUT IT IS A CHEVY DESIGN. I hope I have informed others of what pain and problems I have had. The chevy dealer said they would give me $35,000 trade in on a new gas engine truck for $58,000. Pretty sad a Duramax with 38,000 miles and I will probably have to trade down to a gas guzzler plus throw away another $ 23,000. Im beyond mad and disappointed- I've lost faith in folks doing the right thing.

Best Regards,
JL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Few days ago, my Service Exhaust Fluid System message came on and not long after CEL with P20b9 code (Reduction heater a cap or somewhere along those lines). Cleared the code and drove with just the Service EFS message on with hope it might just clear itself. Scheduled an appointment after a few days of driving and on the way to the dealership the message came up stating upon next restart limited to 55mph. Service department runs test and installs a Reservoir Kit($212.65) in the def tank and tests and clears all codes. Part&Labor= $451.36. Im happy, I pay and Im on my way thinking simple fix, not 10 miles down the road the Service Exhaust fluid system messages is back on. I would have turned around and went right back but had somewhere I needed to be. Will be returning soon to see what service department has to say. Any ideas, thoughts, comments would be helpful and nice to read. TIA

2011 LML Silverado 2500hd
119,627 miles on her
my truck is with that problem and I could not fix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.