Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a million three on the Service Exhaust fluid system problems. But mine is a little different. I have had a few problems with my 2011 with the same warning. the other 2 times it had the check engine light and codes. this time around there is no engine light. no codes. it has me locked down at 55mph and the dealer tried to do a force regeneration and it would not allow them to do that either. there guessing it is the ecm. Personally I think they are wrong and just guessing. they want $1400 to replace ecm and do a regen. I don't see this being the issue. Anyone have any ideas?? truck has 110000 miles on it. very well maintained and this happened about 10 miles after putting in a 2.5 jug of def.
thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone??? I probably should have worded this different because this probably comes up daily. i have been reading threads for days and no resolution to whats going on. The dealer doesn't even have a clue. IDK any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Have the check the no2 sensors. Regens and def have nothing to do with one another. If you didn’t get a bad jug of def it’s probably one of the no2 sensors.

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Id search for another dealer/mechanic.

Since Regens (DPF) and DEF are two completely separate systems, It is obvious they are not very experienced/knowledgeable about diesel engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I was thinking. Tried the battery disconnect also. Didn’t do anything but screw up my clock. Time will not set now. Lol. There is a local shop I’m going to try this morning and see what they say. Hopefully it’s just some bad def but I would think the poor quality def light would display. Or does it just display service exhaust fluid regardless if it is def or not? If that’s the case I can drop tank and refill with new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. Thanks everyone. I took it to a local diesel shop today. He's running tests on it. hopefully he will find it. He seams to know more.Told him what the dealer said. He laughed and said its probably a not sensor or the typical heater problem. Ill update once I find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So truck has been at different mechanic for the past 2 days. Apparently they said the truck is stuck in tamper mode like someone installed a programmer. It has never had a programmer. I bought it new in 2011. so far they have been unable to do anything to it. and its still has the same message.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same thing happen, no CEL. Dealer couldn't pull any codes. Eventually it did set a code. Heater "A" open circuit. This was the final straw. Deleted. No more problems.

Heater "A" is evidently a DEF tank heater......part was on back order. I guess this is a common problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Put an ecm in it. Once they’re locked in a warning level there’s nothing else you can do.
What? Where did you here that?........... Find a Tech2 (not a Snap On or clone) and a guy that knows how to use it, he can take care of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve been working as a service advisor at a gm dealer for 19 years. I’ve run into this issue approximately 50 times. If you’ve tried battery resets and all of the service bay tests and it’s still on you’re gonna need a delete or an ecm

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same problem with a truck I was replacing the def heater on and I called my good buddy that owns a one man diesel shop in fort Morgan Colorado (him) and he told me this "take snap on scanner, plug in(duh but hes as big of an a$$ as I am), go to the glow plug module or fuel injection module (cant remember which one exactly but whatever you can control your def system with), go to active tests or whatnot it will be the directional mode on your scanner and turn on and off each function one by one and then exit and turn off key and then start" it worked like a charm I think the pcm just needs to see that they can work. He works wonders with diesels he is my go to guy I would try that first. Get a newer scanner mine is only updated to 2012 and this was a 2011 and it wouldn't do it I had to get the one from the shop updated to 2016. If that doesnt work reply to this and I will give him a call dont replace your ecm that's stupid

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I got my truck back today. Took to a small local shop. He took a tech 2. He Got it to regen. He Spent two days to check each system. Did regen 2 times. Got it to clear said it somehow was locked in tamper mode and did not want to come out. He told me he honestly wasn’t sure why it did what it did but all lights are clear and running fine. I need to figure out best way to go about deleting it and just be done with all of that. Guess it’s time to research that now.
Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was where you are now. We were out of state pulling our big assed 5th wheel. Happened to be in College Station Texas and the service writer at the local GM dealership put me on to a former mechanic that would do the delete. I had been researching just like you and had decided on EFI Live and downpipe back delete from a guy on Ebay. He happens to be located in a suburb of Texas. Had him overnight the tuner and exhaust components to the RV park I was staying in. Had the ex dealer mechanic do the physical work on the exhaust for hourly pay. I could have done it myself at home laying on my back but he had a lift and the tools and I wanted it done. Worked out great and I got 5 tunes on the EFI Live tuner to boot. I wasn't interested in any hot rodding stuff so I loaded the regular delete tune back into it. The mechanic advised that because I was pulling a heavy trailer it would be hard on the transmission to load any additional HP type tune. Got back home and put on a FASS 95gph lift pump to help the stock fuel pump and try and avoid any future problems. Wow, what a difference. Yes a little louder but not that much and MPG went up towing from around 9mpg to 11. The biggest change was road mpg went from 15 to 19 mpg...I even saw a brief 21mpg rolling down the interstate. This is on a 2011, 3500HD, LB, DRW. The thing is much peppier and will roll a little coal if I try real hard, which I don't. Living in Oklahoma I don't worry about EPA and we don't have vehicle inspections. I've got $2,200.00 in it and would have spent that much fooling around fixing the crappy emissions stuff. Go for it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’ve been working as a service advisor at a gm dealer for 19 years. I’ve run into this issue approximately 50 times. If you’ve tried battery resets and all of the service bay tests and it’s still on you’re gonna need a delete or an ecm
You need to give those 50 guys their money back!

·
Registered
18 Posts
It comes down to a time and money equation. If you spend hour after hour trying to get something reset at 130 dollars an hour you can exceed an ecm in much less than a day. Not to mention my ecm install price is 900 not 1400

1 - 18 of 18 Posts