Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i recently bought my truck and am now looking into doing a service on the transmission. So, i did a bunch of research and now am worse off than if i did not look into it. So, what do you guys use for ATF fluid? do you guys take the pan off to clean it out? Use the OE Filter or a aftermarket? I am leaning towards Amsoil ATF or their Torque Drive ATF, anyone have any experiences?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I know the general consensus on the filter is to go OE. And the fluid depends on the yr of truck you have I believe the newer ones take a different fluid. Typically people don’t take the pan out very often. Usually just change the external filter every so often and fluid. And then change the internal filter and check the magnet every once in a GREAT while. Hope Mike L will see this, he is the expert and his word is LAW when it comes to allison trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Delving into your friend's truck....You're way past the point of needing your signature filled out, so others can see what ya got and give proper advice.

Trans service....depends on mileage, model, your uses, your future uses, etc.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Assuming you have a stock transmission, for trans fluid I use TES-295 fluid, it's what Allison recommends. Amsoil is not TES-295 certified, take that as you may, I am not an Amsoil fan so I'll leave it at that.
I like what Hook'em said, trans service depends on mileage and use. For myself, I change the spin on every other oil change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe I read or saw on a YouTube video that changing the Alison spin on filter every time you change the fuel filter was a good interval. The Alison filter is $13-16 on Amazon.
I'd follow the recommended (internal) filter and fluid depending on your needs based on the amount of towing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
TES-295 is the best stuff for it as long as it's a 5 or 6 speed (not the new 10 speed in the 2020s).

I've been driving mine a loooong time and up until 360k miles, I just ran the Dex stuff. A few times I changed the internal filter over the years but Allison says you never need to. I swapped over to the TES-295 stuff at 360k miles. The truck shifts smoother now than it did when it was brand new.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Go with the TES-295 .

I would recommend dropping the pan and remove the internal filter. You will gain about two quarts of fluid drain as a result. If filter is in good condition you can reuse it.

Dropping the pan will give you an idea of transmission condition by how much clutch material you find and hopefully nothing hard such as gear teeth.

Most of the time the pan gasket can be reused.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
If filter is in good condition you can reuse it.
Maybe so. But I wouldn't trust the multi-fin seals on the neck for a 2nd round.
Alison filter is $13-16 on...
Source Allison Dealer (most any HD Truck shop), genuine is under $10 (I buy several at a time), and the internal filter (also genuine) price can't be beat.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Castrol and Mobil are the two mfrs for TES-295. All the others (BP, JD, etc) are relabeled.
Some say the Delvac holds it's color longer.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
So good looking out creating a new baseline for your new to you truck.

I’d go OE with internal filter and the gasket is reusable, however since you didn’t install it who knows what shape it’s in-they are cheap to replace.

I chose to use Mobil Delvac Full Syn for fluid. It’s TES-295 approved and can be had for a deal off summit racing. I change the external filter (Allison filter on Amz) every (engine) oil change or every other be spending on what I’m doing with it. I change my oil every 10k miles. Suggested by Blackstone.

Anyway you would take the pan off for the fluid change-to get 95% out. Why not wipe it and see what the magnet shows...
Then carefully seat the gasket and torque X style across the bolts.

This is a good time to change transfer case, front diff and rear diff too.

Reactions: BIOTEC

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome, you guys sold me on the Mobil Delvac! I hope with the right care I can keep this trans going strong, with all the modifications I am putting on I would like to maintain the durability of my truck. Thanks gents!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just dropped the pan, replaced the internal & spin-on filters and refilled with Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF from Summit Racing. Summit had the best price at the beginning of November. Internal and Spin-On was genuine Allison parts from Amazon, all in 1 package - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0JSHOK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered an OEM gasket but did not end up using it since the original part was still in perfect condition. I also ordered a magnet for the filter but the original magnet was good to go as well. Now I have backup!

My 3500hd is daily commuter with RV trailer pulling duties 2-3x/month. I noticed @ the 25k mileage mark, the tranny was starting to "clunk" when going from park to R to D and vice-versa. The 1-2 shift had a noticeable feel to it as well. In stop and go Southern CA (91 FWY) in 90 degree weather, my tranny ran between 170-190 degrees at it's highest point with the original fluid. After the flush and fill, my tranny now runs between 150-180 degrees. The gear switches are smooth and not clunky.

IMHO, the flush/fill with Mobil Delvac Synthetic was well worth it.

-Ron in SoCal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, so i recently bought my truck and am now looking into doing a service on the transmission. So, i did a bunch of research and now am worse off than if i did not look into it. So, what do you guys use for ATF fluid? do you guys take the pan off to clean it out? Use the OE Filter or a aftermarket? I am leaning towards Amsoil ATF or their Torque Drive ATF, anyone have any experiences?
I use the Amsoil Torque Drive in my 2011 and have not had any problems. Truck shifts smoothly.

I used

·
Registered
1 Posts
Allison Transynd

Before we left for Alaska pulling out fifth wheel, I changed the internal and external filters with stock ones. I did the Hoot flush as described on this forum. And changed the fluid to Allison Transynd. Pulling 13,000 lbs for 78 days I saw trans temps peak at 165 or so. Friend on the same trip with a stock Fords was running 205 and up. I think the Allison Transynd is the real deal.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
My Delvac 1 in my LML is at 100k miles.

I double dump drained it 100k ago and did all the filters.

50k ago, I drained and refilled the pan so half the fluid is 100k miles old, and half is 50k old.

Very soon I'm going to do a full service on it, I'll post up what I find when I do.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe I read or saw on a YouTube video that changing the Alison spin on filter every time you change the fuel filter was a good interval. The Alison filter is $13-16 on Amazon.
I'd follow the recommended (internal) filter and fluid depending on your needs based on the amount of towing.

Now at the Stealer, when you have the transmission serviced, they will ding you like $60 for that same Allison filter...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Before we left for Alaska pulling out fifth wheel, I changed the internal and external filters with stock ones. I did the Hoot flush as described on this forum. And changed the fluid to Allison Transynd. Pulling 13,000 lbs for 78 days I saw trans temps peak at 165 or so. Friend on the same trip with a stock Fords was running 205 and up. I think the Allison Transynd is the real deal.
I agree. I did the double flush fluid replacement using the Transynd and really tell a difference in shifting and lower temps. I won't use anything else. Not cheap but definitely worth it. Dean

1 - 20 of 27 Posts