Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2019 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali with the 6.6L Duramax TD L5P

The truck currently has 6,124 miles on it.

This morning, when I went to start it, the DIC showed two messages:

- Service Stabilitrack
- Engine Power Reduced

Both the Stabilitrack and Check Engine lights were illuminated.

When I placed the truck into reverse, the back-up camera did not energize (the infotainment screen was active and showing the Home icons at the time). I don't see how this is related, but thought I would mention it.

I shut the truck down and restarted it, but got the same result.

I shut the truck down and let it sit about 30 minutes and started it again. This time there were no message and the back-up camera worked properly, but the check engine light remains on.

Note that the weather is currently in the 60 (degrees) - so not cold.

I don't have a code scanner, so I can't get the codes. I've called a local dealership, but still waiting to see if I can get an appointment to have it looked at.

Any idea what this could be? If I need to get a code scanner, any recommendations for that?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Service reception bay at dealer I usually go to will bring a scanner to reception and check codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called one service department (near me) and was told my situation would be considered an emergency and I can just drop in and they will take a look. When I got there, they knew nothing of this and said I would have to make an appointment - which would be days out :(

Can I get my own code reader? Can anyone provide a link to one I can use?

·
Diesel Junky
1,102 Posts
ther big auto parts have code readers, they'll read it for free.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
891 Posts
Check the fuses. I've had a few electrical gremlins and it seems there is some galvanic corrosion goin on in the fuse block. I've taken out the corresponding fuse for the system and their is a white powdery substance. Cleaned the fuse reinsert and the problem went away.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I called one service department (near me) and was told my situation would be considered an emergency and I can just drop in and they will take a look. When I got there, they knew nothing of this and said I would have to make an appointment - which would be days out :(

Can I get my own code reader? Can anyone provide a link to one I can use?
I'm surprised.

Checking the code in reception is a lot different than putting it in a work bay to do further diagnostics.
Of course there are vast differences in how service advisers handle questions.

Did you try the Onstar button?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I don't have an Onstar subscription. I think the service clerk was just a jerk? I'll call around and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 3500, and have had multiple instances of a Service Stabilitrack warning. Have never seen the check engine light with this, though.
Unfortunately whenever the truck throws a warning like this you lose all kinds of features critical and not, such as: cruise, anti-lock braking, stabilitrac, trailer brakes, etc.

I bought a scanner that works with my phone called Blue Driver. Whenever the truck gives me a code warning, I plug the blue tooth module into the OBD port, run a full scan, and email myself the report.

Have had this situation happen about a half dozen times now, but it always happens on startup and never while driving. Good thing, as losing trailer brakes while towing something big could be really bad news. It looks like the ABS controller does not boot up for some reason, and every other module complains because ABS cannot be seen. Not sure if that is what's happening to you or not. After letting the truck sit off for a while and restarting, problem goes away like nothing ever happened.

Have had it in to the dealer twice on this (before the warranty expired). Made appointments, and handed them my scan reports when I checked in. Unfortunately, though they can see the error code history, they never can see it happen and have no clue. Kept it over a weekend once, and the problem was a no show.

Good luck with your issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last summer, I had a GMC dealer in Lone Tree, CO tell me he was too busy (at mid-week morning) to read a engine light code and sent me 1/2 mile away to a AUTOZONE to have the code read. Taking all the mental energy I had not to punch this so-called Service person in the nose, I drove to the AUTOZONE. A parts guy immediately helped and diagnosed the dreaded "dead DEF heater pad" needed replacement. I thanked them, contacted GMC Customer Service, who were VERY helpful in directing me to another nearby GMC dealer who they had contacted and was willing to help replace the pad ASAP.

Recommendation: Get even, get on GOGGLE MAPS, locate the irresponsible dealer, and write a detailed REVIEW report on how this dealer service department sucks. 😡 The helpful dealer got a very good review. 😋 You WILL be contacted if you leave your email address.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2018 3500, and have had multiple instances of a Service Stabilitrack warning. Have never seen the check engine light with this, though.
Unfortunately whenever the truck throws a warning like this you lose all kinds of features critical and not, such as: cruise, anti-lock braking, stabilitrac, trailer brakes, etc.

I bought a scanner that works with my phone called Blue Driver. Whenever the truck gives me a code warning, I plug the blue tooth module into the OBD port, run a full scan, and email myself the report.

Have had this situation happen about a half dozen times now, but it always happens on startup and never while driving. Good thing, as losing trailer brakes while towing something big could be really bad news. It looks like the ABS controller does not boot up for some reason, and every other module complains because ABS cannot be seen. Not sure if that is what's happening to you or not. After letting the truck sit off for a while and restarting, problem goes away like nothing ever happened.

Have had it in to the dealer twice on this (before the warranty expired). Made appointments, and handed them my scan reports when I checked in. Unfortunately, though they can see the error code history, they never can see it happen and have no clue. Kept it over a weekend once, and the problem was a no show.

Good luck with your issue.
I have a 2019 3500, I had this happen once while driving. I recall Service Stabilitrack, Trailer Brake, anti-lock, etc. warnings. No check engine light though. The power cut out briefly (a few seconds) which was nerve racking because I was merging into traffic. After the next startup, the warnings cleared and it never happened again or at least hasn't happened in the last 10000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got an appointment at another dealership for tomorrow morning. I don't know if it will still be showing the codes - I've not started the truck since this started - hoping it will keep everything in memory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw the dealership this morning. They had to use a laptop to pull the stored codes (the code reader only reads "active" codes, I guess). They said it had thrown U0101: ECM Failure to communicate with Transmission Control Module.

He said this may be a loose connection somewhere, but I should wait to see if it happens again. There was no known issue that would account for this in our truck. If we see it again, then we may need to dig in and look for harness issues, etc.

I asked if there was a fuse involved that could account for this and he said if the fuse was blown, it would continue to report the problem. I clarified that I was thinking about corrosion on the fuse contacts resulting in an unstable connection and he said that wouldn't happen in a truck this new - hmmmm, I wouldn't discount that possibility so quickly.

So I guess I'll wait and see if it happens again.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts