Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my first duramax back in June. A used 2007 LMM 3500 HD Crew Cab Dually, with 87,000 miles. Since then the service trailer brake light on the DIC would flash on immediately after the ABS came on. If i went into a right hand turn just right, or hit a good bump or dip just right, they would come on. I have cranked the torsion bars all the way up, replaced all 4 shocks with HD wagner gas shocks. All new tires, and checked the rotors and pads at all 4 corners. The brakes are also a little squeaky. What the heck is going on here. When I hook my trailer up, I dont even think my TB are working on the Integrated system.
ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ME BEFORE I TAKE IT TO MY DEALER? ANY SUGGESTIONS AT ALL?

What am I missing ?
BTW Love this Duramax!!! Never buy another gas truck again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im grasping at straws here fellas? Any suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Im going to have to take it to Chevy is all I can come up with. I have tried everything else. I could have sworn it was a worn out wheel hub. But they check out fine too.
Would running a slightly taller tire than original throw this code for some reason??

·
I'm That Guy...
16,683 Posts
I had problems with traction control / abs / stabillitrak lights on my 09. There was a TB to reset the ECM and that seemed to fix that issue. They had thrown some parts at it first though.

Also, if you are saying you need brakes, I would do that first. It may be contributing to the issues. If pads are good, maybe pull them apart, clean them, and re-assemble?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think I need brakes though. All the pads are still good as well as the rotors. I checked them all. They all almost look brand new. No where near the wear indicators, but yet I still get a low speed squeak out of them Sometimes. There was a TB to reset the ECM and that seemed to fix that issue. What is a TB. Little new to some of the abbreviations. lol

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
I dont think I need brakes though. All the pads are still good as well as the rotors. I checked them all. They all almost look brand new. No where near the wear indicators, but yet I still get a low speed squeak out of them Sometimes. There was a TB to reset the ECM and that seemed to fix that issue. What is a TB. Little new to some of the abbreviations. lol
A technical bulletin.......A TSB[Technical Service Bulletin]
you may also check two things:
1. Be sure the wheel hubs are still good,that will illuminate the ABS light if they are badly worn or almost gone..
2. If you drive through lots of mud,soil that has high clay content etc. will get the ABS wheel sensor dirty and the light will light[not saying that's your issue,but i would check those two things]..I have to be sure mine are clean because i drive through gravel that sometimes has oil,chemicals etc. in it....

·
I'm That Guy...
16,683 Posts
Sorry, technical bulliten. I chased this issue with multiple dealers and they had replaced wheel speed sensors and other parts. Eventually one dealer came up with a technical bulliten saying that the ECM needed to be reset. Another dealer had tried a reflash, but they said it needed a "hard reset". On a phone that is pulling the battery, then holding the power button for a period of time to remove any residual power.

I have no idea if this fixed my truck or if it would help you, but since you said "grasping at straws", I figured I'd throw it out there.

I wish I had something more to offer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah. ok. Service Bulletin. Got it. thanks . The abs sensors being dirty is one that i did not consider. I will check that. I know my wheel hubs are still good. I checked them as well. Had to replace one on my 01 Silverado that went bad and started kicking my ABS light on. Trust me. Thats the first thing that came to my mind. thanks for the great ideas guys.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Also GM had a problem with rust building up under the sensor and making read goofy so you had to pull the sensor off and clean the area where it mounts so it would sit straight again but on a 2007 in Missouri I kind of doubt that is your problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tony

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas. right now Im willing to try anything. I have to put my truck to its first REAL test IMO next week. Hauling 18,000 lbs of tile up into Colorado from central Kansas. And if my trailer brakes aint workin right in the mountains I may have some REAL problems. I gotta get this issue fixed. and fixed fast.

·
Registered
84 Posts
x 2 on the hubs if they get wore when turning they will drop out causing the light to come on some times you can see it if you are able to watch speed sensors on a scanner but a lab scope is the best because the drop can be to quick to see watching speed signals

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the truck originally came from Texas, and spent its entire life in Texas until this June. Dont know if maybe the sea salt got in there or what? I will definately be checking the sensors for dirt. But as for the ITBS.

When the trailer is hooked up, shouldnt it give u an output reading in the DIC under your trailer gain level????

·
Registered
912 Posts
sounds like you may have a wire that is caught somewhere that is being pulled on? or a loose bolt that is letting the sensor get out of range of the sensor wheel

·
Registered
84 Posts
yes it should you may want to try removing all batt cables and then connect the pos and neg cables togather for 30 seconds my trailer brakes would not recognize a trailer after i did this all worked ok

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I wouldnt ever trust that stupid factory brake controller on a mountain. I didnt trust mine on the flat. Just get a prodigy and know you can get power to the trailer brakes. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well the truck originally came from Texas, and spent its entire life in Texas until this June. Dont know if maybe the sea salt got in there or what? I will definately be checking the sensors for dirt. But as for the ITBS.

When the trailer is hooked up, shouldnt it give u an output reading in the DIC under your trailer gain level????
It gives you output bars

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well.

I took it to my local chevy dealer and have a few answers. Turns out i DO have a front left wheel hub going bad and a right front axle boot leaking. So that is all getting fixed. Not sure if it will solve my ITBS issues, but will see when I go to pick it up.

Snappy are u suggesting that I disconnect my battery cables, then hold them together to somehow reset the TBS??

Not quite following that one.

Thanks to everyone for the awesome advice, always can count on die hard chevy guys.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've been trying to solve this problem for 2 years now. It comes on, and will stay on for months, then disappear for a couple weeks, then back again. Ive noticed that it is less likely to come on in colder temperatures (hinting that it may have to do with resistance/high voltage). Ive replaced sensors, brake switches, harnesses, resets,... everything. It will go away for about 6 weeks every time i replace my brake pedal switch (on my 3rd one)... im gonna take it apart and check everything with a voltmeter and compare it to a new one this week. Anyone got any other ideas of what else i can look for to solve this problem?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
JOe

When you say 'it comes on' can you be specific? What comes on?

And have you checked for any DTC codes?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts