Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2010 duramax and every time I start my truck it says service trailer break system. But when I hook my trailer up and start my truck with my foot on the break it comes across the dash saying “trailer connected” and the trailer breaks work fine until I take my foot all the way off the break pedal then the truck dings and shows the message “service trailer break system” Ive traced wired all around and I’m at a loss now don’t know what too try next and don’t wanna pay an arm and a leg for a shop too maybe fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I’ve searched but I haven’t found anyone who has had them work until they take there foot off the break pedal. This form was my last resort thought this was what it was for was to ask questions and talk about trucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of posts about trailer BRAKE system faults. Have you searched?
I have looked and haven’t found anyone having the same symptom of starting the truck with the break pedal down and the trailer breaks working properly and then once you let off the peddle they no longer work properly and you get the error message on the dash. I’ve done a fair amount a research tried a lot of things. Just looking for some help trouble shooting so I can haul my equipment safely

·
Registered
12 Posts
have you tried replacing the 7 way connector or getting some electric clean and cleaning the connection? I see this warning come on with our work trucks. Two fairly cheap repairs.

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
As said earlier Id clean the connections on the back of the 7 pin connector and reconnect it with some di-electric grease on the pins to keep moisture out. Clean the pins themselves on the other end.

If that does not work the controller is on the drives side frame above the spare tire. Id do the same to the connectors on both sides of that too.

It could also be the controller but Id make sure before I bought the part.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My problems went away when I started using di-electric grease. However, your problem is different, mine would only give me errors when I was connected to a trailer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
newest problem is lost communication with the ecm and trucks not shifting or running right at all probably all related problems I would guess

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you getting a check engine light? See if a maintenance shop will give you a quick diagnostics read. Some of the fancier readers can run test on areas that wont pop a code for the check engine light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My problems went away when I started using di-electric grease. However, your problem is different, mine would only give me errors when I was connected to a trailer.
Today was the first warm sunny dry day in a while and all the problems otherwent away so I’m thinking it’s a moisture problem
As said earlier Id clean the connections on the back of the 7 pin connector and reconnect it with some di-electric grease on the pins to keep moisture out. Clean the pins themselves on the other end.

If that does not work the controller is on the drives side frame above the spare tire. Id do the same to the connectors on both sides of that too.

Ive cleaned the 7 prong connector and

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today was the first warm sunny dry day in a while and all the problems otherwent away so I’m thinking it’s a moisture problem

Ive cleaned the 7 prong connector and Replaced the little black box above the spare tire with no results

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I cleaned the 7 prong and used die electric greese and also have replaced the little black box but still haven’t found the problem I also tried too use a buddy’s controller switch and that also didn’t help

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might want to checkup over the spare tire.there is a connector up there and it could have gotten corroded.
I had to replace mine on my 2013.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I think generally these problems fall back on the trailer being the issue. Have you tried different trailers?

I get this message all the time when I pull my enclosed trailer and it has happened on 3 different trucks I've had. When I pull my equipment trailer, the message never comes on. It's so annoying and I don't know what I can do to the trailer to make it go away. I thought it was an issue with grease being all up in the brakes so I cleaned them up and eventually replaced all the brakes on the trailer and the message still comes on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I received the same message on mine but I’ve only pulled trailers that required the 4 pin connecter so far. It might be the truck has an accelerometer that reads that the breaks on the trailer arn’t slowing the trailer quickly enough. Might need to reset the gain on the trailer break if it has one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I received the same message on mine but I’ve only pulled trailers that required the 4 pin connecter so far. It might be the truck has an accelerometer that reads that the breaks on the trailer arn’t slowing the trailer quickly enough. Might need to reset the gain on the trailer break if it has one.
Or the gain could be too high and the trailer is breaking for the truck too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve got a 2010 duramax and every time I start my truck it says service trailer break system. But when I hook my trailer up and start my truck with my foot on the break it comes across the dash saying “trailer connected” and the trailer breaks work fine until I take my foot all the way off the break pedal then the truck dings and shows the message “service trailer break system” Ive traced wired all around and I’m at a loss now don’t know what too try next and don’t wanna pay an arm and a leg for a shop too maybe fix it.
I have a 2015 and I had the same problem, I took it to the dealership and they notice that the trailer plug located on the bumper had corrosion on the pin and reinstalled a new one and I have not had that issue any longer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Over the winter of 2017/18 when the weather was cold I started getting the ding ding ding and "service trailer brake system" on the dash. Sometimes it would only do it a few times and sometimes it drove me batty. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't get a code and couldn't find anything. Same thing during the winter of 2019/19. It got to the point where my wife would not ride in the truck in the winter time. Took it to the dealer and same result. Same thing this past winter but as it got warmer it kept doing it. On 4/21 just as I happened to be going by the dealer it started doing it so I pulled in and left it running and went into the service department and told them it was doing it right then. They put a guy on it and he found code ?c1117 (as best I can read it), replaced the trailer brake switch, and that fixed it I haven't had the problem since. The tech said the trailer brake switch had an internal short in it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts