Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put in a detroit truetrac in my rear end. Blew up the G80. when setting it how much free play should be between the crown gear and the pinion gear? Also how do you set the pre load on the carrier bearing? and what temp should the diff at just rolling down the highway? Anyone that can help with any of these questions please respond thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump >>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am interested too.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Sorry, no help here but how did you blow it up??

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doing burnouts and the governer blew up

·
Registered
119 Posts
for new bearings on everything I would shoot for .004-.006 thousand backlash. For the Pinion you have to use a inch pound torque wrench and find out how much drag the pinion uses to rotate. (i cant recall the number off of my head. im sure you can google it) remember the torque to begin to rotate the pinion will be more than the torque to spin it once it is moving. wreches with dials usually work best.

back yard mechanics will pry tell you they do the pinion until they feel "some" resistance and just make sure its not "too" much sorta feel it when its coming out and shoot for the same as it goes back in. if backlash is good. and the pattern is good. Most will say your all set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts