Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted since I bought my '11 Silverad0 3500 Duramax in June.

I absolutely love this truck! Towing a heavy equipment trailer and about a 5,000 Bronco was unbelievably uneventful.

I should probably include a separate thread for each of my questions; but, I thought I would start out by asking them all in a single thread to make it easier for those of you with opinions to answer of them at once.

1. Should I rely on the truck computer to tell me when to change the oil and filter, or should I go with a set mileage frequency?

2. With winter approaching, should I use 15W-40 or 5W-40 when doing the oil change?

3. Should I consider changing the fuel filter when I change the oil and oil filter? (There are some pretty wide variances in what some people recommend regarding change mileage.)

4. What is the best way to fill the emissions fluid bottle to make sure it's full without overfilling. The GM manual is confusing when it says to stop filling the tank when the fluid reaches the top of the fill pipe, and then it says do not top off the DEF tank. If fluid reaches the top of the pipe, I would think the tank would already be topped off. I mainly just want to keep from making a mess of things.

Thanks for any advice that can be offered. (I did search the forum... it's just that some of the information was for older engines, and some of it was in conflict.)

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jeff
I'm pretty green compared to some of these guys which are awesome with help
I just replaced my rotella with Mobil 1 turbo truck fully synthetic 5W-40, good for any winter temperature, i also just flushed transmission (Hoot Method) by myself with Transynd, even though I drained the pan I was surprised to see how much fluid was in the pan when I dropped it. then when I pulled the internal filter off I got another quart or more, I am only giving my personal opinion but if you are heavy towing I would change earlier than recommended by book, I am going 15K with this new oil, normal driving, rotella I went every 3k. I'm from <MN so it gets good and cold here for oil. I dont think a fuel filter needs to be changed that often but once again, I'm not pro. I'm sure alot of the more knowlegable guys will chime in and correct me.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
dino oil = 3K
synthetic oil = 10K plus or minus depending upon oil analysis
oil filter = every oil change for me but that differs
fuel filter = 8K
synthetic trans fluid = 100k+
dio trans fluid = 50K
trans spin on filter = every other oil change

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
1: its a good guide line but i know in my truck the computer was factory programmed for a 10,000 oil life so id keep track but use it as a guideline, alot of people i know change it when the percentage gets down to 25% or so

for me i run 5-7k on Delo or Mobile Delvac but ive seen guys get analysis at 12k on dino and it still tested as good to use but that was on an LB7

2: where do you live? i use 15w-40 year round but my truck will never see temps below 10* or so, and even that is only once or twice a year

3: fuel filters every 7-10k miles is a good idea, just whenever the truck starts to feel a little down on power i swap one on

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
1: its a good guide line but i know in my truck the computer was factory programmed for a 10,000 oil life so id keep track but use it as a guideline, alot of people i know change it when the percentage gets down to 25% or so

for me i run 5-7k on Delo or Mobile Delvac but ive seen guys get analysis at 12k on dino and it still tested as good to use but that was on an LB7

2: where do you live? i use 15w-40 year round but my truck will never see temps below 10* or so, and even that is only once or twice a year

3: fuel filters every 7-10k miles is a good idea, just whenever the truck starts to feel a little down on power i swap one on
Yes I did...lol

I would recommend whatever you go to, do an oil analysis on a few changes, every truck is different and will wear oil differently. They are fairly cheap and very easy to do.

But it will let you know what you can get away with, and what is pushing the limits of keeping the oil "Good" for as long as possible.

You will more than save your cash invested on a $25 kit if you can run reg 3k oil for 12k+ miles.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
aint that the truth, made the mistake of buying at NAPA so i could get my filter and oil all at once, $80 later i was ready for my oil change that usually runs $60 :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts