Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a been on here but I have browsed thru before to answer my questions. Anyways on with my issue... Last week I was towing my new 5th wheel RV on it's first trip on a 5hr haul through mild mountainous terrain and about midway while in on a moderate but long up grade pull I noticed that I was losing power then all of a sudden the ses light came on and I losses all power and dropped down to about 30mph from 50mph and had 0 throttle response, this all lasted about 5 seconds then it seemed to clear itself up but the light remained on for the entire week whether I was towing or not. The exact same scenario happened on the return trip.

I thought it may have been a fail safe override die to egt's but I don't have a tuner "yet" to know for certain. Both times this happened I was on a moderate long pull about 50 miles into The mountains on a long moderate grade, outside temp was around 82 degrees F, engine temp was showing a tad over 210, tranny was holding temp around 200, my oil pressure was holding around 40psi. When the symptoms went away I wtill on the incline grade and The only difference I noticed on the gauges was the coolant temp dropped approx 10 degrees. My gf had told me several times when we were towing how hot her floorboard on the pass side was (obviously the cat heat) which I would expected under a load like That but I don't think I should have a problem this severe.
Before it is mentioned I changed The oil and fuel filter right before the trip and I always change them when due.

Sorry I haven't filled out my sig line yet but here is what I have. Except for the 285/75/16 tires, aftermarket rims, fiberglass ram air hood, and towing mirrors I have a bone stock 2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax with 88K miles on it. My trailer is a 33ft 5th wheel approx 13,000lbs empty.

The post is getting long, sorry but I want to discuss upgrades and mods that I can do here to make my truck perform at it's best especially while I'm towing.
I looked at a few tuners today and I am on the fence about which one I want, which one I really need and then how much $$$$ I am wanting to spend on one, honestly I am between The edge evolution and the EFI LIVE (I know there is a lot of info here on them both but I almost think it is too much info, would I see a significant difference with the EFI to justify dropping the cash on it?)
I am planning on an EGR block plate and eliminating the cat right now and trying to find a good full exhaust system That is not too noisy but allows the engine to breath better.

Any help you guys could give me will be very helpful. Sorry for the been questions and the lengthy post but I need some help on this one before the next trip.

Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
How many miles has it been since you changed the fuel filter. If you could get the truck scanned and see what codes it has stored. I almost want to say it was a fuel issue you were having under a hard demand.

·
JUST TROLLING AROUND
2,020 Posts
does your fiberglass hood let the engine bay breath you need air geting in there for 1 thing get rid of the factory exaust .keep the air filter clean my guess would also be fuel staving . il bet the fuel lines are collapseing in side and starving the truck on fuel will happen on long pulls .put all new lines on not factory ones a lift pump the nicktane.com filter adaptor to run the cat filters maybe fpr valve id get a pre programmed ecm with 2 tow tunes and what ever else you want on it.also the 285 tires are making the truck work harder with that wieght .

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Ass Vinnie post here is a TSB repair that you might want to look at on your truck to fix the issue. Just need to scan it for codes and check the rubber parts in the fuel line and replace parts. Also if you go with a Fass or Airdog setup that will have your filters and lift pump in one set.

Here is the TSB link
Duramax Diesels Forum

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
rimpf666 they are also haveing problems with the rubber on the inside of the so called steal lines .just for your info bio fuels are raiseing hell with most fuel line and most fuels are bio in one form now.

Yes if you look at the link I posted in my last post it points those parts of the line out. Most really notice it when the fuel temp starts getting warm and not running a lift pump. With the cp3 working on a vacum setup with a mini pump on the back on the CP3 it starts to suck the lines closed.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Should I worry about this with my lift pump?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I figured to take the advice and get the codes before I went any further. It seems everything was pointing to a turbo overboost condition, turk boost control position sensor, air flow sensor and several glow plugs. The actual codes that I got we're P01080, P0234, P2563, P0675, P0672, P0674, P0676, P0671.

I know about the glow plug recall but I have not taken it to The dealer to get it fixed. I am planning on doing that sometime this week.

I am going to look at some things on here to see if I can spot an obvious condition and I'll let you know what I find.

To answer some of the above, my hood does provide airflow to the engine compartment and I am considering putting a few more holes in it for more flow since I don't have it hooked up to The airbox.

My air cleaner is clean, I check and clean it every oil change.

I think I will get it to the dealer to fix the recall before I change The exhaust and egr block or anything else. I don't have much warranty left but I don't wanna push my luck to void it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
sounds like a fuel filter problem to me

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked out all the lines and wiring today and it all looks good to me or at least nothing that stood put as a problem. I would expect a fuel filter if I didn't just change it before the trip, the fuel was from shell on the way there and I've never had problems with their fuel on The way back I believe it was a flying J truck stop. The rest of the time It ran like a raped date even now without It being hooked up to the trailer it runs flawless.

Hopefully I can take it to The dealer this week to fix The recall and flash the ecm and see What happens. We are going on another trip next monday but not as mountainous terrain to pull. I am goo g to order an exhaust and egr block before I leave and then decide on the rest as I am gone. I may actually splurge on The EFI Live, I looked at that airdog system and I am not sure if I want to spend the extra $500-600 on that right now until after I see the results of the other mods. We will see. Maybe it will clear up The symptoms, I hope anyways. I love the truck but it really let me down on the trip.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did you use a delco filter or brand x

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fuel filter is a Fram filter. I use Fram most of the time and I have used STP once I believe.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
R
The fuel filter is a Fram filter. I use Fram most of the time and I have used STP once I believe.
This might be your issue. Some people have had issues with aftermarket filters. Use the factory filters from parker racor they are better anyway. You can get them from performace truck products for a good price.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
fram filters suck. made of dreams and plastic. they can actually collapse and restrict flow under normal use. get a racor like smokinlmm said or an AC Delco

·
Registered
77 Posts
At least use a delco filter if not the racor. Others have problems and don't filter as well either

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
fram filters suck. made of dreams and plastic. they can actually collapse and restrict flow under normal use. get a racor like smokinlmm said or an AC Delco
Parker/racor makes the gm filter, they are exactly the same except for the price.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts