Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my new 2010 LMM for two weeks now I just noticed that the windshield is NOT shaded on the top. I started looking at others and noticed that none of the newer trucks seem to have the shaded top on the windshield.

Is that trim level oriented or do none of the NBS trucks have a shaded windshield? Mine is an "LT" with the "uplevel" leather seating.

·
needing more money
314 Posts
My 08 SLT didn't have one. Had to have it done by a tint shop.

·
Registered
97 Posts
They haven't been tinted at the top for a while. Can't remember when they stopped.

·
Registered
117 Posts
just take it to a tint shop and have them put a visor on it its just dark tint they put up there and it looks bad ass

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
My truck was fully optioned except for the sunroof. And, my windshield was not tinted either. When I had the front windows tinted to match the rears the installer also put a tint strip on my windshield as part of the deal. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
IIRC they stopped doing the tint across the top when the GMT-800 body style came out in 99/2000? I might be wrong. I know for a fact the 2003's+ dont have it.

Its a good thing, the older trucks with the blue strip across the top look really ugly IMO.

ben

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I just got a new windshield and I told them I wanted factory glass. They asked me if I wanted the tint strip or not. I said yes. I got there to pick my truck up and it had a blue strip....wtf? I wanted tint, not a blue stripe like a deodorant stick. :rof

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I just got a new windshield and I told them I wanted factory glass. They asked me if I wanted the tint strip or not. I said yes. I got there to pick my truck up and it had a blue strip....wtf? I wanted tint, not a blue stripe like a deodorant stick. :rof
exactly! My dad got the windshield replaced on his 03 tahoe and they put in a windshield with the blue strip across the top. Ugliest most obnoxious thing ever, what is this, the 1980's?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
691 Posts
exactly! My dad got the windshield replaced on his 03 tahoe and they put in a windshield with the blue strip across the top. Ugliest most obnoxious thing ever, what is this, the 1980's?? :rolleyes:
Duratothemax, you're missing the point - Dmaxchris was saying that they put a blue tint strip on the windshield, it was not a factory blue tinting that has a fade at the bottom.

I, myself prefer the factory blue tint to the polka dots, but hey, that's me.

On a side note - they eliminated the factory blue stripe on the 2004 models. My friend had an 03 Silverado with the blue tint and my 04 Silverado had the dots. I thought is was screw up since the Suburbans and Tahoes had the tinting, but a walk on the lot proved me wrong only the Silverados and the cheap econoboxes had polka dots. WTF?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
ok nvmind thanks for clearing that up.

hmmm thats interesting...my dads 03 tahoe definitely didnt have a strip from the factory and neither did my friends 03 1500HD...?

ben

·
Registered
691 Posts
ok nvmind thanks for clearing that up.

hmmm thats interesting...my dads 03 tahoe definitely didnt have a strip from the factory and neither did my friends 03 1500HD...?

ben
Maybe it was late 03 change????

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Duratothemax, you're missing the point - Dmaxchris was saying that they put a blue tint strip on the windshield, it was not a factory blue tinting that has a fade at the bottom.

I, myself prefer the factory blue tint to the polka dots, but hey, that's me.

On a side note - they eliminated the factory blue stripe on the 2004 models. My friend had an 03 Silverado with the blue tint and my 04 Silverado had the dots. I thought is was screw up since the Suburbans and Tahoes had the tinting, but a walk on the lot proved me wrong only the Silverados and the cheap econoboxes had polka dots. WTF?
No, thats not what I'm saying. Its the factory glass with the tint strip. From the inside its blue. It does nothing as far as glare. I would rather put a 5% strip up there.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Anyone have any luck with the clear 3M UV reduction film? I'm the type that wears sunglasses when its raining and cloudy because I hate glare.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
nvmind.....

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its the factory glass with the tint strip.
Ok now wait a minute . . . If the FACTORY does NOT make the glass with the shaded top any more. How can you have a FACTORY shaded windshield? Back in the day the glass was from PPG or LOF. I think it just says GM Pilkington on it now. What manufacturing mark is on your glass? Does it match the rest of your windows?

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Ok now wait a minute . . . If the FACTORY does NOT make the glass with the shaded top any more. How can you have a FACTORY shaded windshield? Back in the day the glass was from PPG or LOF. I think it just says GM Pilkington on it now. What manufacturing mark is on your glass? Does it match the rest of your windows?
Thats what I was trying to say...I asked for factory glass. If they dont make it anymore why do I have it and why is it blue? It says Pilkington. It even has the little dots behind the mirror.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts