Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity maybe someone can help me solve this. On my truck when im going up hill sometimes it seems like my truck just shakes like maybe it needs to downshift. It has 160k miles but i swear i thought an allison should go longer than that on a stock truck. I'm thinking maybe i need to grease to U joints and probably need change the tranny fluid. Its still red and has no burnt smell but the filter on the trans looks kinda old. But i have read that if you have never greased your U joints it could cause kind of a shaking type feeling. And this felling really only happens when im going up a sorta hill most of the time and going around 45-65mps. Any thoughts?

Lmm Guy

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
At 160K miles, you are likely in need of U-joints. I changed mine at about 60K in an attempt to solve a vibration problem. Initial u-joint inspection at the time showed joints were pretty good but not perfect, but they were changed just to be sure they were not the cause of my problem, and they weren't. Nor was the driveshaft balance a solution.
If you don't know when trans fluid was changed, change it and the spin on filter. Watch for the magnet on the top of the spin-on filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At 160K miles, you are likely in need of U-joints. I changed mine at about 60K in an attempt to solve a vibration problem. Initial u-joint inspection at the time showed joints were pretty good but not perfect, but they were changed just to be sure they were not the cause of my problem, and they weren't. Nor was the driveshaft balance a solution.
If you don't know when trans fluid was changed, change it and the spin on filter. Watch for the magnet on the top of the spin-on filter.
Would that cause the truck to shake ?

Lmm Guy

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Would that cause the truck to shake ?

Lmm Guy
It definitely COULD cause a shake. If you remove your driveshaft, you can check the u-joints by had to make sure they are smooth and no looseness at all.

·
Registered
888 Posts
if you remove the driveshaft pay the money to have it balanced. That could also be a source of vibration. I believe i paid $60-70 to have my tcase-front diff shaft balanced.
I put in Spicer sealed ujoints, btw. One less thing to have to remember to grease. I'm a fan of greasable components but in this case.. i went sealed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
if you remove the driveshaft pay the money to have it balanced. That could also be a source of vibration. I believe i paid $60-70 to have my tcase-front diff shaft balanced.

I put in Spicer sealed ujoints, btw. One less thing to have to remember to grease. I'm a fan of greasable components but in this case.. i went sealed.
Im taking it by a shop for them to test the trans and they will drive it to see if they can pinpoint the problem so i will update when i know more. It just seems to me that if it was the trans with would do it all the time not just going up hill. And when i say hill its not even on steep hills or anything just any kind of incline it seem.

Lmm Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
i agree with the driveshaft balance and replaceing ujoints. check the bolts for transfer case also make sure its tight to the trans, last thing you want is to crack the tail housing on that allison, huge headache

1 - 7 of 7 Posts