Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
I was able to find a 2.5 gallon of Rotella T6 15w40 for $69.99. I usually run 5w40 all year long for cold starts. I change oil every 5k but right now I am at 7k. I will send a sample to the lab to see how it checks out. I am curious how much oil life is left.
That's not bad, when I was looking online, I found it for that much/Gal. Bought 5 gal. Delvac 1300 for $99

·
Registered
597 Posts
It is the best diesel oil around.
NOOOOO he didnt say that did he? haha. jk lots of opinions on oil. I think everyone likes the T6 as for a synthetic...its cheap. Was cheap. whatever. Dino oil is just fine for our trucks but its preference. Ran T4 in my 04 LB7. Ran fine sold at 270k

·
Registered
70 Posts
NOOOOO he didnt say that did he? haha. jk lots of opinions on oil. I think everyone likes the T6 as for a synthetic...its cheap. Was cheap. whatever. Dino oil is just fine for our trucks but its preference. Ran T4 in my 04 LB7. Ran fine sold at 270k
The design of oil is done normally by third party companies that sell the additives packages to major companies like Shell. These additive companies run extensive dyno and test labs and I was working on a project with them and asked their chief engineer what was the best diesel oil, T6 he said without hesitation even though they did not make it. So they are the experts so that is what I use.
The reality is any good diesel oil that is certified to API specs is fine, but when put under extreme conditions(load, heat, contamination, extended change time, etc) then the better oils shine.
FWIW Gale Banks just did a three part series about Amsoil, worth watching.

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
LOL, shots fired in the never ending oil debate. :ROFLMAO:

T6 for me, was/is the most economical & easy to get choice for a full synthetic. At one point, it was on sale at Wally world for $18/gallon. Recently paid $28/gallon and stocked up with two 2.5 gallon containers and two 1 gallon containers.
My backup plan is Mobil, then after that Amsoil.
Crazy times fellas, crazy times...

Reactions: blythkd1

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
173 Posts
I called Shell corporate and they said within 3 weeks the stores should have it in stock. Aholes on Ebay are asking $80 per gallon and Amazon for $200 per gallon. I'll use another brand before paying those prices.

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
I called Shell corporate and they said within 3 weeks the stores should have it in stock. Aholes on Ebay are asking $80 per gallon and Amazon for $200 per gallon. I'll use another brand before paying those prices.
Oh awesome, good to hear.

Yea, I went on Ebay a week or two ago and reported a few listings for price gouging. I saw one listing for $100/gallon.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Amazon has them for $200 but for the 3 gallon case. Still gouging considering i paid $68 just in November for the 3 gallon case.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My filters haven't arrived, so I ended up checking NAPA again and they got some in, so I got a NAPA Gold oil and fuel filter. When the others come in, I'll use them next time. Doesn't seem like having a supply of oil or filters right now is a bad thing.

·
Registered
2022 Silverado 2500HD CC Z71 Sport
320 Posts
I scored 4-1 gallon jugs of T6 15W-40 from my local Wally Worlds. They each had 2 in stock. Still $22.98. So they are starting to pop up.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Oh awesome, good to hear.
Sounds good but after the panic that's been created, I predict once good supplies of oil start showing up again it'll be just like the Great Toilet Paper Famine of 2020. When it starts showing up, it'll disappear just as fast as it shows up because guys that see it will be stocking up so they don't run out again. Can't remember the last time I saw any ammo to speak of on the shelves at WM. I swear guys must be standing at the back of the store waiting for it to come out to be stocked on the shelves. I actually saw a box of .270 a few weeks ago. I didn't even ask what it was, just said give it here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did see a good stock of 1 gallon jugs in a local Autozone here in MI today, but price was $29.99 per, more than Mobil 1 ESP gallons by a couple of dollars.

Still want my 2.5 gallon jugs back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got mine done today. Ordered filters still a no show. Glad NAPA got some in stock this week. Using the 2.5 gallon jug was PITA, but got it done. Hope to be able to stock up for at least a couple of changes soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Newbie here so be gentle But I saw this at my Walmart for 19.9t a gallon. Is this the latest oil?
Get all you can if you're going to do your own changes. It flies off the shelves here lately, as soon as they restock. Same with Rotella T6. Filters for the newer L5P (and possibly other diesels) are pretty scare right now as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
Newbie here so be gentle But I saw this at my Walmart for 19.9t a gallon. Is this the latest oil?
Hello and welcome. What truck do you own?

·
Registered
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW Z71 LTZ
21 Posts
Lots of 15w-40 T6 available at O'Reilly auto. They had over 300 1 gal. jugs in stock at $31 ea. I see Walmart has it online now too.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
Reactions: gmc502 and blythkd1
21 - 40 of 67 Posts