Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I getting my trans built by a local shop and they recommend the goerend J converter. I wanted to do a suncoast 1058. Are these two similar?

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
So I getting my trans built by a local shop and they recommend the goerend J converter. I wanted to do a suncoast 1058. Are these two similar?
The Goerend J has a stall from 2700-3000, way to high for the street IMO.
I would go with either the R or DK from Goerend. The 1077 or 1078 from Limitless would also work well. That is going off of memory for how you’re building your truck.

Reactions: mstein86

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
What is setup on the rest of the truck? What's it being used for

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the block I'm getting:

https://dmaxstore.com/products/?route=product/product&path=253_637&product_id=3697

rebuilding the trans, shop says it will be good for 900hp, probably over kill for me
stock turbo, will upgrade at a later date, need a good foundation first I.E. engine...
stock injectors, these are good for up to 700hp from what I read, not that I'm close to that number
stock heads, not worth the money to upgrade IMO

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
The j is much too loose for stock turbo. A J was going in my transmission with a s475/87/1.0 as a single. Get the R or a 1058

Reactions: mstein86

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goerend R converter is close to the suncoast 1058 in stall, my shop uses Goerend. I asked to not get a converter from them and they said they'd have a hard time warrantying the transmission... I'm spending close to $5k I want a warranty. I think the "R" converter will work.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
The 1058 is actually a 100 rpm looser than the R iirc. The R is built for stock/upgraded vvt trucks. You will be happy with it. Goerend converter are some of if not the best. Ran one in my last Cummins it was great.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have 325/60/20 tires is that matters with selecting a torque converter. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Not with 35s maybe 40s but gearing would play more of a role I'd imagine.

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
Id go with the Goerend R with a stock turbo, or maybe the G. The G closer to stock stall. What are you going to upfradebyour turbo to? I would get a converter that will accommodate your future turbo upgrade.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shop had the J and R mixed up, honest mistake. I got clarification today. They recommend the R, I'm good to go. Thanks guys :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts