Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im new to the forum.

Im in the market for a newer truck, Its job duties will consist of half city and half highway durring the week. Minmal off road / winter duties. Also pulling my enclosed trailer I hual my race car in. The trailer is a 38" 5th wheel with a GVWR of just over 16000lbs. (my new car will be an altered roadster so I doubt ill ever come close to the max)

Is there any perfered year of truck? Any specific year I should stay away from? I will want to do the basic bolt on mods down the road. I plan to put a lot of kms on the new truck.

Any comments?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys, I found some information that answers my question, I should have done more reading before posting.

biggest problem was the 01 thru 04 lb7's with the injectors
I have a friend that had an 03 I believe and had injector problems and it ended up taking out the engine! Good thing it was still under warrentee.

Are these 01-04 trucks safe if the injectors have been changed or should I avoid them all together?

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
YEp they'll be good if the injectors have been changed. They'll be under warranty 7 years or 200,000 miles which ever comes first. The 06-07 Duramaxes have the 6spd allison in them that helps a little more with mileage having the extra gear. I've got an 06 and love it. Just depends on really what you want!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
first off welcome to the forum,those are some great ?'s.i would stay away from the 01 and 02 LB7 but i know of quite few of these diesels out on the road with very little problems and the 03 and 04 LB7 seem to have some injecters problems but there again some have problems and others never had a lick of trouble with theirs and for the 04.5 thru 05 they had some overheating problems and i have a 05 LLY and never had it over heat so the problem was one that happen on occation not a wide spread problem but the cats meow is the 06 thru 07 LBZ with the 6/SP Allison tranny and i haven't heard any issues from this combo yet..the way to tell what engine you have using the vin # is counting from left to right if the 8th didgit is a
1=LB7 used 01 thru 04
2=LLY used 04.5 thru 05
3=LLY used 06
D=LBZ used 06 thru 07
6=LMM used 07.5 thru ?
hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts