Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying one but still on the fence what does everyone else think of theres?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had mine for 11 1/2 months, put 18,xxx miles on it so far and I'm still loving it. Tows my boats like a boss and still gets 18mpg while towing my biggest boat. 33mpg has been by best on a trip.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
What do you want it to do?

·
Registered
2021 LM2 SLT
61 Posts
Just got mine 3 weeks ago. so not much of a review, Coming from a 2004 2500 Duramax. Its quiet, almost as fast as the LB7, handles awesome on road trips, (26 mpg at 80mph) Im sure it will be better at 65-70, (24mpg around town), started right up in the cold (8 degrees) Turning radius still stinks, still waiting to tow the boats, back seating noticeably more roomy, So far so good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’d say yes as I just did a few weeks ago, love it, just be careful you’ll find excuses to drive a ton. Starts easy down to -0 😂 I’ve yet to plug it in.

22FB91D4-A09E-4459-845C-A53AACA283F7.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part time work truck for renovation, but many for long trip to go camping and mny biking. I do about 20xxx or more a year. Figured the diesel would be the way to go.

·
Registered
846 Posts
a couple pontifications on the age ole question.. should I buy a diesel ...

If you have to ask how much it costs.. you cant afford it..

If you have to ask if you need a Diesel.. you likely dont..

If you have to ask how much a Diesel costs to fix.. you REALLY cant afford it..
if a gasser nickel and dimes you on maintenance .. a Diesel $50 and $100s you to your grave

I think that about sums it up... I miss anything boys... ?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Oh yeah.. I forgot this one...

If it flys, floats, fornicates or belches diesel.. it better to lease it... rent it, or just flat out do without owning it...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh I don’t necessarily agree, gas pickups aren’t cheap to fix these days. As far as maintenance goes, really anymore they are close to equal, fuel costs are cheaper due to better mpg and premium in my part of the country is $0.25 more expensive then diesel. Def fluid is cheap.

Now if you have a catisrophic failure a diesel will cost more to repair but it has a 5 year 100k warranty vs the 60k for gas, doubt most keep their trucks 10+ years anymore.

Really if one can’t afford the slight added expense of a fuel filter and Def they probably can’t afford a new pickup period. As far as repairs, that’s covered for 5 years or 100k, for electrical well that’s the same on gas or diesel.

The 6.2L gasser is more expensive to operate in my view, especially since it requires premium fuel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Part time work truck for renovation, but many for long trip to go camping and mny biking. I do about 20xxx or more a year. Figured the diesel would be the way to go.
The diesel will shine for your uses. I think the biggest issue new diesel owners have is they can get stinky, and the fuel pumps also seem to have diesel on them. Also they don’t seem to understand the added hot/exhaust smells during regen, all of which are minor things but to some they complain and constantly take their truck to the dealer to fix when nothing is wrong, it’s just a different experience owning a diesel vs gasser, but well worth it for the torque and mileage.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The diesel will shine for your uses. I think the biggest issue new diesel owners have is they can get stinky, and the fuel pumps also seem to have diesel on them. Also they don’t seem to understand the added hot/exhaust smells during regen, all of which are minor things but to some they complain and constantly take their truck to the dealer to fix when nothing is wrong, it’s just a different experience owning a diesel vs gasser, but well worth it for the torque and mileage.
the reliability and 'simple lower moving part nature' of diesels are a thing of the past

if he will be using this truck as a 'around town work truck' several start/stop cycles, short trips, in town traffic.. etc.. maintenance costs will eat his lunch and will likely be buying a DPF in short order.. if you are going to get to 100k in short order and not trade the truck in, the tranny needs to be dropped to replace the wet oil pump belt in the engine.. that won't be a cheap 'regular maintenance' cost..

diesels use to be able to idle all day, run, stop, run.. and just keep taking it all day long.. emissions have killed that capability on modern diesels .. that is why UPS and Fedex are going away from diesel in local delivery ..

now .. long haul.. the 3.0 has great MPG when not towing.. reasonable towing grunt compared to its gasser option but MPG takes a dive quick and the 3.0 is a little more DEF happy than the 6.6 when you start getting into the 7000 lb and up weight.. if you think you will be at the high end of the 3.0 tow weight you would likely be happier with a 3/4 ton.. for towing.. but the around town issues will be further magnified ..

·
Registered
846 Posts
everything on a diesel costs more to fix.. and its generally harder to find a place, dealer or otherwise, that has highly competent diesel mechanics these days..

·
Registered
61 Posts
The wet belt replacement has been moved to 150k.

The DPF regen on the 3.0 is amazingly fast compared to the 2.8...10-15 mins vs 20-30. What used to take 2-3 trips to or from work for my 2.8 to regen, the 3.0 does it in less than one trip (16 miles).

And the miles between regens on my 2.8 was between 220-270 miles. The 3.0 is averaging 325-350 right now. At a little over 2000 miles and no towing yet, all on winter blend fuel, the mileage isn’t that great but still much higher than my gas guzzling 5.3.

·
Registered
101 Posts
the reliability and 'simple lower moving part nature' of diesels are a thing of the past

if he will be using this truck as a 'around town work truck' several start/stop cycles, short trips, in town traffic.. etc.. maintenance costs will eat his lunch and will likely be buying a DPF in short order.. if you are going to get to 100k in short order and not trade the truck in, the tranny needs to be dropped to replace the wet oil pump belt in the engine.. that won't be a cheap 'regular maintenance' cost..

diesels use to be able to idle all day, run, stop, run.. and just keep taking it all day long.. emissions have killed that capability on modern diesels .. that is why UPS and Fedex are going away from diesel in local delivery ..

now .. long haul.. the 3.0 has great MPG when not towing.. reasonable towing grunt compared to its gasser option but MPG takes a dive quick and the 3.0 is a little more DEF happy than the 6.6 when you start getting into the 7000 lb and up weight.. if you think you will be at the high end of the 3.0 tow weight you would likely be happier with a 3/4 ton.. for towing.. but the around town issues will be further magnified ..
I see you don’t have a 3.0, this setup Rocks for city driving, I’ve had 3/4 tons since 2003, this thing gets to operating temps fast, it’s perfect for city driving and stop and go, now I wouldn’t recommend a 3/4 diesel for that activity but he won’t be buying a DPF for at least 5 years or paying for anything on the mechanical side.

The OP is putting 20k+ on his pickups a year, I don’t think he’s just driving a few miles here and there year round.

Time will tell if the design of this system will last long term but there is a 5yr 100k buffer to figure it out.

It‘s been well documented that it gets better mpg pulling then the 3/4ton diesels of just a few years ago when within its limits. Mpg IMO doesn’t dive quick compared to gas when towing as many are getting 13mpg pulling campers and enclosed trailers and 15mpg+ with car haulers or utility trailers while most gassers will be in single digits. Now it will suck def fast when towing is what most have reported.

I‘ve only had mine a few weeks and close to 1000 miles on it, even at 0* it’s at operating temps within 10min of driving.

·
Registered
101 Posts

The DPF regen on the 3.0 is amazingly fast compared to the 2.8...10-15 mins vs 20-30. What used to take 2-3 trips to or from work for my 2.8 to regen, the 3.0 does it in less than one trip (16 miles).

And the miles between regens on my 2.8 was between 220-270 miles. The 3.0 is averaging 325-350 right now. At a little over 2000 miles and no towing yet, all on winter blend fuel, the mileage isn’t that great but still much higher than my gas guzzling 5.3.
From what I can tell it’s not that bad to change out either and they are still testing it hoping to move it’s service interval out further.

Also if it does fail it won’t take out anything and you still have time to pull over before you damage anything, it’s not a part that if it fails will take out the engine or trans.

·
Registered
101 Posts
everything on a diesel costs more to fix.. and its generally harder to find a place, dealer or otherwise, that has highly competent diesel mechanics these days..
I agree once out of warranty but biggest thing I ever had to fix on a diesel was injectors at 250k. If I had a truck with issues I’d trade it in before warranty was up. If it’s been flawless till 100k I’d just fix it if something happens out of warranty.

I guess I’m not one to be fearful of issues, crap does and can happen, I’ve been lucky but so have many others.

·
Registered
846 Posts

how convenient that they moved it to 150k...

did they move that warranty out to 150? because if your oil pump goes .. so goes the motor...

I bet that was just marketing decision to move it to 150.. dont scare people away.. and most are out of the vehicle before 150k anyway and those still around if the belt goes.. GM washes their hands of it and says it aint covered ...

I dont have a 3.0 no, but I have been around diesels on and off since the 80s... and todays oil burners are not traditional diesels by a long shot...

the 3.0 is a completely clean sheet motor that GM brought 'in house' so not designed by engineers that have been building diesels but supposedly 'duramax' consulted .. for what that is worth.. but be that as it may. the engine isn't old enough for us to know what we dont know yet...

all that being said.. their are usually a good number of low miles diesels that are traded in when people bring them back because they dont like em...

I have yet to see a diesel platform since 2000 that didnt cost more per mile in maintenance to run than gas.. not taking into account fuel.. just maintenance ..

agreed that this motor is designed to heat faster.. it brought the DOC/CAT/DPF into the engine compartment tucked up right against the motor to hopefully not clog as fast but it brought all that heat under the hood...

time will tell ...

·
Registered
101 Posts
how convenient that they moved it to 150k...

did they move that warranty out to 150? because if your oil pump goes .. so goes the motor...

I bet that was just marketing decision to move it to 150.. dont scare people away.. and most are out of the vehicle before 150k anyway and those still around if the belt goes.. GM washes their hands of it and says it aint covered ...

I dont have a 3.0 no, but I have been around diesels on and off since the 80s... and todays oil burners are not traditional diesels by a long shot...

the 3.0 is a completely clean sheet motor that GM brought 'in house' so not designed by engineers that have been building diesels but supposedly 'duramax' consulted .. for what that is worth.. but be that as it may. the engine isn't old enough for us to know what we dont know yet...

all that being said.. their are usually a good number of low miles diesels that are traded in when people bring them back because they dont like em...

I have yet to see a diesel platform since 2000 that didnt cost more per mile in maintenance to run than gas.. not taking into account fuel.. just maintenance ..

agreed that this motor is designed to heat faster.. it brought the DOC/CAT/DPF into the engine compartment tucked up right against the motor to hopefully not clog as fast but it brought all that heat under the hood...

time will tell ...
There is a great video talking about this death belt with the engineer that designed the engine, you state your opinion as fact and being more knowledgeable then the creator of the engine, how many 3.0’s have you grenaded?

In the end your just assuming a lot about this engine, time will tell if it’s good or not, same for any engine or vehicle That is new.

Also if you think GM is wanting to screw people over by putting out marketing to fool owners, why do you own one, lol.

I can see you researched it some, here is a good video.

·
Registered
846 Posts
There is a great video talking about this death belt with the engineer that designed the engine, you state your opinion as fact and being more knowledgeable then the creator of the engine, how many 3.0’s have you grenaded?

In the end your just assuming a lot about this engine, time will tell if it’s good or not, same for any engine or vehicle That is new.

I am an engineer by education and for part of my career.
I flew high performance jets and took air breathing aircraft to the edge of space for a living
I hold a masters in aerospace and have training and experience as a accident investigator

I know how shit works, how shit breaks, and a trained eye for what will break or how it broke... and how to keep over 1 million parts bought from the lowest bidding contractors flying in close formation keeping my pink ass alive while getting shot at..

so take it for what is worth.. my opinion .. no better or worse than yours perhaps but my opinion none the less...

·
Registered
846 Posts

Also if you think GM is wanting to screw people over by putting out marketing to fool owners, why do you own one, lol.

I have been in meetinsg where engineers and bean counters go at it.. and I can tell you .. 90% of the time the bean counters win

why

because actuarial analysis states that the legal liability of loss (death or otherwise) will cost the company less than using a part that cost .50 cents more..

Boeing ring a bell..

yes I state for a fact that IF that belt goes.. the oil pump stops and there goes the motor .. that is FACT .. I dont say that it WILL happen.. but a questionable engineering decision to go with a wet rubber belt inside the engine for such a critical part is likely a dumb move.. and when people were balking on the 100k .. it just magically got extended to 150k ... they didnt change the part...

anyway.. that is the way the world works...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts