Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well winter is almost here. Snowing in the mountains!!! Finally!!!

It is my first winter witha diesel and i am a little concerned.

I know it is better for them to be warm bfore driving. I only live a little under 5 miles from my work. Am i going to kill the truck by 7 days a week starting it up letting it warm fro 5-10 minutes and then driving 5 miles and shuting her off??

I will be going up to the mountains once a week so it will get a good run.

Also is there anythig i need to do before winter?? i have thought about a winter grille cover. good? bad? ???

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
synthetic oil, grille cover, and fuel additive.

driving that short will not be very good on the truck, just make sure to get it good and hot a few times. these trucks like to be worked.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it. thanks.

Where can i get a grille cover?? i have tried to google it and cant find the right one.

Any fuel additive better for winter?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread, but this will also be my first winter, and it gets cold here, typically in the 20's during winter. Is it a good idea to plug it in?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Read your owner's manual. GM doesn't recommend you plug it in until below 0 F. But it won't hurt anything to plug it in if its warmer than that. 20s is nothing, it will start right up like a gas engine every time.

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
The grille cover can be bought on ebay or if you want aftermarket ones cabelas sells one that is thicker & quilted. They also have one that has a screen for the summer. I was searching for stuff for my topper the other night & came across one just like in cabelas & it came with the screen for the summer for like $35 or so.

As far as plugging in, I do it at 15 above or colder when at work. The newer trucks might throw codes if you do it at that warm...but it definately helps on warm-up.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Products this is what me and a couple buddies run... haevn't tried out the winter blend but i like the summer blend a lot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts