Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04.5 LLY has become an investment for me and I hope it can last me 5 more years at least but I am wondering about getting a built trans put in that could cause me a headache by failing many times. Truck only has 110k miles and I am looking at getting a Suncoast G-max kit put in by Texas Performance Diesel. They quoted me $5500 out the door for everything. I have the money right now to get the job done but I just want to make sure its a wise investment

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
they want to much holy shit man

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt the same way but living in Texas I dont have many options

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw your post in another thread that you didnt wanna pay $4000 for a Big Dipper trans?... how bout we swap places cuz I would totally do that lol

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
as long as it is built by someone who knows what they are doing then a built trans will be just as reliable as a stock allison with a stock truck

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Yeh that seems a little steep. I think I was quoted around 4300 or so for a suncoast out the door.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
My 04.5 LLY has become an investment for me and I hope it can last me 5 more years at least but I am wondering about getting a built trans put in that could cause me a headache by failing many times. Truck only has 110k miles and I am looking at getting a Suncoast G-max kit put in by Texas Performance Diesel. They quoted me $5500 out the door for everything. I have the money right now to get the job done but I just want to make sure its a wise investment
Tell them to stick that price in their bum, swirl it around, and like it. They just gouging the crap out of prices because based on your post they seem to be the only guys locally who can do this sort of work. Before I gave them $5500 for a trans job, I'd take the extra $1500 or so and rent a car, have a friend follow me to the next nearest shop who actually will charge you decently for the job and give them the business. Leave your truck there for however long, then have the friend drive you back up in said rental car and pick the truck back up. I'd just stick it to the texas place as much as possible. $5500 is on the way towards an ATS job and is a ridiculous amount of money.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
i paid 3000 out the door for my build and its still alive and kicking beautifully. takes a beating from this turbo everyday and has yet to miss a beat.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Ya that's pretty steep! Heck you'd save money driving the truck up to our shop and having us do it for ya. Even with the cost of fuel you'd save money!

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Are there any shops within a 6 hr drive or so from Memphis,tn. There's a hope here that does Allison with suncoast but I'd really like to use one of the known trans gurus that have been mentioned here. Big dipper is in baltimore right?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are there any shops within a 6 hr drive or so from Memphis,tn. There's a hope here that does Allison with suncoast but I'd really like to use one of the known trans gurus that have been mentioned here. Big dipper is in baltimore right?
There's a guy in Bowling Green KY at Walt's Transmission, his name is Earl. He's had articles written up in 8-lug about him and building up Allisons. I went to Fleece instead cuz I wanted more done to my truck and a build up. I know several on other boards that have used him and swear by him. I think he quoted me a $1000 to install, I buy the parts I want him to use. I believe he mainly recommends SunCoast. Chris

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
There's a guy in Bowling Green KY at Walt's Transmission, his name is Earl. He's had articles written up in 8-lug about him and building up Allisons. I went to Fleece instead cuz I wanted more done to my truck and a build up. I know several on other boards that have used him and swear by him. I think he quoted me a $1000 to install, I buy the parts I want him to use. I believe he mainly recommends SunCoast. Chris
Thanks man! That's exactly what I'm looking for. I've already got a precision industries converter in it. Just want to buy the rest and have someone install it. If it's 1000 it's still cheaper than taking it to a local guy. He quoted me around 3 minus the converter

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
There are actually a few in Texas that do a good job. I remember finding three within an hour from me that others have recommended. Where in Texas are you exactly?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are actually a few in Texas that do a good job. I remember finding three within an hour from me that others have recommended. Where in Texas are you exactly?
I live just north of DFW. Texas Diesel Performance was about a 2hr drive from me and was recommended. I dont mind driving for getting quality work

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i paid 3000 out the door for my build and its still alive and kicking beautifully. takes a beating from this turbo everyday and has yet to miss a beat.
Did Mike Sewell do yours down there? I am wanting to lift the truck also so it would be real nice to get the trans done and get new gears for the bigger wheels at the same time

·
Registered
158 Posts
What kit did you buy?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts