Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my coolant soon and was thinking should I replace the thermostat? Or just wait for it to die and replace it then?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Changing the t stat is relatively easy and cheap so if you can’t remember the last time you did it then it would be a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Yes change them. You already drained coolant, and not talking that much more in cost. If you have my luck one will go bad, then you have to do a partial drain again.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
There are two, a 180 and 185. Replace them both along with their rubber seals. There is also an O Ring on the crossover tube feeding the rear of the Thermostat Housing. Buy two, use 1. The second is a spare in case the first one gets chewed up in the swap.

Lube the first well when pushing back into the housing. Undiluted coolant will work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just replaced mine. There's a video on the tube abt doing it w/o disconnecting at the rear of the thermostat housing. That's the way I did it. A few more fasteners to remove and a couple of big elec connectors to disconnect but it went pretty quick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts