Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i am new here and i know this is a duramax site.

I currently have a 99 24v cummins it is my daily driver on the ranch and i tow with it as well, goose neck, hay, tractors etc.

I like the engine but i hate the rest of it, its an automatic transmission 4x4. so i am looking to get out of it and maybe a duramax?

So i was wondering if anyone had some hints for me or advice in this matter. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Trade in the turd. The 06-07 Duramax is known to be the best choice. Great power. 6 speed auto.

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
I had a 99 too, great truck other than pump and trans issues

I would suggest 06 and up Dmax but they are all good, injector issues on the older 01-04 LB7 motor but still a great motor

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
yea man i have an 07 classic, get an lbz they are badass trucks, all duramax's in general are though haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya the motor is awesome always starts never an issue i just have trans issues and body issues.. and what kind of injector issues are common? thanks.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum man. The cummins is a great engine, no denying that. This being a duramax forum you probably won't get too many unbiased opinions, but there may be a few haha. Me personally I would trade it in, as I feel the gm platform is more efficient from the get-go with the allison. It's a work horse.

as far as injector issues, it was the lb7 series engines. i described some of the issues in a previous thread, let me see if i can find the post to copy and paste in here to help you out a bit :thumb

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The general rule of thumb is to purchase the newest Duramax that you can afford. The LBZ engines are highly sought after, and for good reason.

LB7, known for injector issues, the more filtration you add to your mix the better your chances of prolonging the removal/replacement down the road (which is inevitable) Lb7 trucks have no emissions unless it is an old fleet truck/ CA emissions model, so egr is not an issue, and the pcv system was actually effectively done on these models so the pcv reroute is not completely necessary. Just plan to have around 3-5k sitting around just in case for injectors, depending on if you do it yourself of it you pay to get it done. However these are great motors, and you can't beat the sound of a straight piped LB7, its what all the duramax guys go for sound wise.

LLY, known for head gasket issues. This is about a 2kish job depending on the parts you go with. The 05's seem to have a few less issues with this than the 05 models did, however depending on how it's been run/beat on this has to be on the back of your mind. When doing the r2, just bite the bullet and go with arp studs so you won't ever have to do it again down the road. They lly rigs have a variable vane turbo, getting rid of the wastegate the lb7 trucks had. GM improved their injector issues, and the only thing you have to worry about in that category for the lly rigs is the injector harness, otherwise known as the "icepick fix". I should also add in the restrictive factory turbo mouthpiece, as they are very poor for air flow. They are very strong engines and can go maintenance free for many miles (just like any diesel really)

LMM trucks are where the DPF system was introduced, which robs mileage until you delete the system, which requires a turbo back exhaust and programmer. These are also very good trucks.

Hope that helps you out a little bit :drink

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your imput! i like how on this forum there is not a bunch of a**holes like on cummins forum, and you can actually get some help around here. What about over heating issues? ive heard a lil about that?

·
Registered
263 Posts
i had a 01 traded it for a 08 f250 sold it and now in a dmax.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I went from f250 to cummins to dmax!! Had everything you could want in trucks! I LOVE my duramax. If I can sale my other cummins I will buy a lbz

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
Heyyaa Welcome to the DF. When I went looking for a Diesel, I went D-Max after driving a friends, already having driven a couple dodges and having previously owned a Ford. 06 to 07 (pre-07.5, the LBZ or 06 LLY) Is what I would recommend. You get the 6-speed Alli which is more durable and I like the second overdrive, MPG gains is debated but I do a good bit better than a couple friends with 05 5-speeds. And the LBZ as stated before is stronger overall. Mine's actually a LLY, but the only difference in 06 LLY and LBZ is tune. 07.5 LMM adds the DPF and I am NOT a fan of the EPA chit that gets added on those.
Short answer, I would, for sure, trade er in for a D-Max. Take a test drive of one in your year/price range, and see for yourself. :drink

Edit: Try searching for overheat issues and see what the cause/solution is. I've never had an issue, and neither has my buddies 05 despite towing past capacity from ME to NY. I think it's pre 06 but search a bit, answer's on here somewhere.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Thank you for your imput! i like how on this forum there is not a bunch of a**holes like on cummins forum, and you can actually get some help around here. What about over heating issues? ive heard a lil about that?
Glad you like it over here. This is definitely one of the most friendly/helpful forums out there IMHO.

You've done your research. I applaud you for that. The LLY series engines had overheating issues on occasion. This normally happened/happens when towing a heavy load up a steep grade at a slow pace, however I think it just depends on the rig as well. The only "fix" to the issue is to either swap over the parts from an lbz truck (hood, grille, rad, etc) or making a secondary cooling system. The secondary cooling system will be your best bet and the more inexpensive of the two for sure. It involves adding a second radiator to the setup underneath the factory one at a bit of an angle, thus increasing the cooling capacity and impact. (the 05's had a little less of an issue with the better hood design. You can tell GM noticed a flaw with the LLY series cooling system as they redesigned the LBZ for the larger cooling, bigger fan etc.)

Here is a thread explaining the process of making your own secondary cooling setup in case you're interested.. There used to be a guy who made them, however he stopped a while back so this is basically your only option as far as that goes. However there are plenty of us who haven't ever had an issue as altitude/terrain has a lot to do with this as well.

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
385 Posts
It looks like you got all the info you need. I will add that if you're considering a new truck the '11+ LML is a really great truck. The frame, most of the suspension, the brakes, the trans, and even the D'max are all either new or upgraded. They ride great, and are absolute monsters towing. If you do a full delete and tuner they're also pretty darn quick.

Regardless of which generation D'max is in your budget I say go for it! You'll be a LOT happier daily driving one than your current truck.

-TJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, i think i have most of the information i need expect that what do you think about ifs? dodges ride like the crap!! lol!!

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Dodges ride like a damn steel wheeled wagon. These guys on here can help you with anything you want to know or need. Only thing I hate about my truck is I dont get to drive it everyday since I work away

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
For all the crap talking the Dodge and Ford boys do the IFS works great, it just needs to be beefed up a bit. Something that should have been done from the factory. Get the braces and sleeves or HD rods and your good

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would do it if i was you know people who own dodges and really like my dmaxes ride quality and pulling power more and easy to get really good mpgs just test drive keep researching and decide which one suits you best all have their ups and downs. Definetly dont let the ifs scare you off.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Thanks for the info, i think i have most of the information i need expect that what do you think about ifs? dodges ride like the crap!! lol!!
As mentioned above, the Ifs DOES have some weak links, however they are easily fixed, and ride like a cadillac. As long as you don't start cranking on your torsion bars/ throw a cheap leveling kit (relying on leveling keys soley) you will still retain drivability as stock. My 6" lift rides better than stock since my stock shocks were on their way out anyways, and its a complete night and day difference between any straight axle out there, still.

EDIT: As far as front end strength, DMAXstore has some very good/strong packages for quite competitive prices that will get you hooked up for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts