Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in my truck this morning after a night shift, when I went to leave the parking lot my dic gave me a battery not charging warning. And I had no power steering. Took a look under the hood and the fan belt was shredded.

Can you guys tell me what the pulley is that looks cock-eyed underneath the tensioner? I'm pretty sure it's fubar so I'm trying to figure out what I should buy today to take to work tonight to fix it...

05 lly Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks guys.... That's the strange part is I haven't been hearing any squealing at all....

Time to go to bed and get a few hours sleep so I can deal with this when Napa opens

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Moved to LLY--

·
Registered
336 Posts
Over 100k miles? My pulleys kicked the bucket around 110k and shredded the belt on the way to work one morning. Fun driving without power steering!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just did mine this weekend. I am at 103K, but it was getting noisy and the belt was beginning to fray. I bought the Gates entire kit at Rock Auto for $105 plus $6 shipping. This included the top of the line Fleet Runner belt. They have a $5 rebate on top of it. My idler pulleys we both getting loose and had some excessive noise. (Little tip here, Gates is the supplier who supplies Duramax LTD with the tensioner)

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Look into a Goodyear gatorback belt, very happy with mine. And as others said replace both idlers and the complete tentioner all at the same time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
400K miles.... shame on me but its the same fan belt and pullies since i bought it at 150k.

now to figure out which fan belt i need, the girl at napa had 3 different belts.

two were for different alternators, im pretty sure i only have the 105 amp alt, but then she asked if i had a vacuum pump, i was pretty sure i didnt but i bought that belt just in case. I cant even think of a reason to have a vacuum pump on a duramax...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Same thing happened to me last winter. Idler pulley seized, shredded belt. It was -20. Awesome.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
I vote for 145a and no/VP.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I vote for the 105 amp, as that was standard --

and the Vacuum pump was only on the LB7 [01 to 04] California trucks -- used for the EGR system. Not used on the 04.5 or 05 LLY engine.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
My 05 has a 105 amp.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this would do it!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago that was fun. Thank god I was only a couple miles from home , fun driving with no power steering I also lost power brakes too , I had to basically stand on the brake pedal to get the truck to stop .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts