Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by someone that shutting down the truck with my a/c on is bad for the a/c system. Does it really matter?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I always turn it off as a matter of habit, I don't know if leaving it on is bad for it. My dad always told me it put excessive strain on the starter, and battery(s) having it on but who knows?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
In some climates, the air conditioner will develop mildew "smell", and can build mold. If you shut the air conditioner compressor off, and run the blower for a minute or two, it helps dry out the evaporator, then there is less chance to have the problem.

The compressor and blower will not run when starting the vehicle, nor will the headlights be on. No reason to be concerned about that.

·
Registered
897 Posts
In some climates, the air conditioner will develop mildew "smell", and can build mold. If you shut the air conditioner compressor off, and run the blower for a minute or two, it helps dry out the evaporator, then there is less chance to have the problem.

The compressor and blower will not run when starting the vehicle, nor will the headlights be on. No reason to be concerned about that.
Yeah, my old man was probably talking about the old cars he grew up with, that had those funny things they call "carburetors". How did vehicles operate without computers? Total MindF**k!:rofl

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The compressor and blower will not run when starting the vehicle, nor will the headlights be on. No reason to be concerned about that.[/QUOTE

So if the ac is on when you start the truck the compressor clutch isn't engaged right away?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is ok to just turn it off, and by just letting the blower run to dry the evap coil, it would take a good 10 to 12 minutes to dry it. Once the compressor is shut down, the pressure of the refrigerant is still present and has to equalize, which takes a few minutes, in which time the evaporator is still boiling refrigerant and making condensation. Todays automotive compressors only take about 1 to 2 hp to turn them under full pressure. ON start up there is equal pressure so no extra load would be put on the starter.

·
DMAX LML
595 Posts
So if the ac is on when you start the truck the compressor clutch isn't engaged right away?
Correct. the computer controls the AC compressor clutch and doesnt let it engage till a few seconds after startup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts